ADVERTISEMENT

Jay Williams Caitlin not great yet

right, as has Curry, obviously. That is why it was specific to the NCAA.
“Talking heads” talk because someone pays them to talk…they can talk non-sense but it makes no difference as long as they talk…It was a miserable take because Caitlin’s career is not over…. But if #22 walks away from basketball and decides to teach school, does that mean she wasn’t a great basketballer? My opinion is the guy is off base.
Pete Maravich wasn’t “great”? Bullshit.

Reactions: HFan1981
“Talking heads” talk because someone pays them to talk…they can talk non-sense but it makes no difference as long as they talk…It was a miserable take because Caitlin’s career is not over…. But if #22 walks away from basketball and decides to teach school, does that mean she wasn’t a great basketballer? My opinion is the guy is off base.
Pete Maravich wasn’t “great”? Bullshit.
It was a miserable take because Clark's play is that of a great, at the NCAA level. So was Bird's and Curry's, despite not winning championships. To not be on the last team standing at the end of a 64-team tournament of the best teams in the land does not preclude greatness of an individual player.

Bird won championships as a professional though…
None of these did, so apparently not "great" by Jay Williams standards:

Dan Marino
Barry Sanders
John Stockton
Sabrina Ionescu
Charles Barkley
Ty Cobb
Ted Williams
Randy Moss
Bruce Smith
OJ Simpson
Elgin Baylor
Tony Gonzalez
Cris Carter
Barry Bonds
Anthony Munoz
Fran Tarkenton
Patrick Ewing
Brian Urlacher
Ernie Banks
Junior Seau
Reggie Miller
Dominique Wilkins
Larry Fitzgerald
Ken Griffey Jr.
JJ Watt
Karl Malone
Allen Iverson
Pete Maravich
Tony Gwynn
Bernard King
LaDainian Tomlinson
George Gervin
Eric Dickerson

Wouldn't this be something if this was all just theatre? Meaning that Willams told the group he was going to come up with this "hot take" just to spur some activity. Sometimes I wonder if it's all bullshit, not just Williams' comment.

Reactions: CaboKP
Wouldn't this be something if this was all just theatre? Meaning that Willams told the group he was going to come up with this "hot take" just to spur some activity. Sometimes I wonder if it's all bullshit, not just Williams' comment.
I don't disagree that that's probably part of it. But here's the longer video, look at the 2:27 mark when the other guy is talking about the impact CC is having on the sport as a cultural phenom. Williams' face at that point says it all. He doesn't like the fact that a white girl from Iowa is being considered the GOAT in women's basketball.

Meaning you don't like watching basketball? I know most Hawk fans on this site don't watch any other teams play except Iowa, but now you're clamoring for ESPN to go away altogether?
The sports part is great. Hot takes, seeing who can scream their opinion the loudest, & other similar programming is a bit tiresome. If it works for you, 👊

Reactions: Hawksbyamillion
So you're saying the Media/Talking Heads will make up a story line just to create a "what if" scenerio that gets everyone into a full out tizzy? Say it's not so!

Reactions: joelbc1
I don't disagree that that's probably part of it. But here's the longer video, look at the 2:27 mark when the other guy is talking about the impact CC is having on the sport as a cultural phenom. Williams' face at that point says it all. He doesn't like the fact that a white girl from Iowa is being considered the GOAT in women's basketball.

Yeah, maybe Bilas went "off script" and Williams wasn't ready for it. :)

Last edited:
And you guys are still talking about this. Seems a smart script for ESPN. More surprising to me, is that even though you know it's highly likely to be scripted banter beats (*it even leads to the Barkley line for the live audience--c'mon), you still want to buy that villain narrative.

None of these did, so apparently not "great" by Jay Williams standards:

Dan Marino
Barry Sanders
John Stockton
Sabrina Ionescu
Charles Barkley
Ty Cobb
Ted Williams
Randy Moss
Bruce Smith
OJ Simpson
Elgin Baylor
Tony Gonzalez
Cris Carter
Barry Bonds
Anthony Munoz
Fran Tarkenton
Patrick Ewing
Brian Urlacher
Ernie Banks
Junior Seau
Reggie Miller
Dominique Wilkins
Larry Fitzgerald
Ken Griffey Jr.
JJ Watt
Karl Malone
Allen Iverson
Pete Maravich
Tony Gwynn
Bernard King
LaDainian Tomlinson
George Gervin
Eric Dickerson
Just think how much less time we would need to spend in all the Hall Of Fames if all these, and the rest of the hacks that never won a championship were never voted in.

Reactions: sober_teacher
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT