ADVERTISEMENT

Jim Leonhard going to Illinois

I haven't followed the WI coaching situation. I assume the new coach at WI just brought in his own DC?

Jim did great at WI at DC. I doubt he remains an analyst for very long before seeking a head coaching or DC position. (Assuming he has those aspirations)

Either way, a big addition for Illinois.
Mike Tressel followed Luke F. To Wisky.

Sidenote-Tressel was the OL/OC at Wartburg in the late 90's.

Leonhard will be an asset. Bielema hired Aaron Henry as his DC. Pretty sure he has not held that position anywhere else. Henry was recruited out of high school by Iowa and ended up playing under Beilema at Wisconsin.

Reactions: hawkdave007
Lots of Badger hatred collecting in Champaign,.. looks interesting.

Bielema had some good teams at Wisconsin, but he wasn't able to sustain. He's only gotten fatter since, and he's yet to sustain anywhere else. He won't sustain at Illinois. Fat people like that don't sustain success.
giphy-downsized-large.gif

not pleased about this development. that said if we actually get serious (signs are that we are) about making the iowa offense more than a TOP placeholder, a strong IL could be indirectly helpful to us by knocking off other contenders.

I haven't followed the WI coaching situation. I assume the new coach at WI just brought in his own DC?

Jim did great at WI at DC. I doubt he remains an analyst for very long before seeking a head coaching or DC position. (Assuming he has those aspirations)

He interviewed for the Wisky job iirc

BB now going Saban for coaches to detox a year after getting the broom? Look for him to issue a Frost warning soon! 😀

Illinois is hard to pin down. They looked like the new player in the West early last season...but lost a little of the luster as the year progressed. I'll be interesting to see what happens the next couple of years. Leonard is a great addition.

They have Wisconsin and Penn State at home and go on the road to Iowa, Maryland and Minnesota...as well as Kansas. They'll need to win a bunch of those. I could see 'em losing all, if not most of them.

Going to the Rose Bowl in his final 3 years at Wisky isn’t sustaining? You need some better insults.

And pic of your non-fat self?
He only "didn't sustain" when he went to Arkansas.....that was a disaster. He had some really strong years in Wisky. People got tired of him there because he was a jerk. I lived in Madison at that time. Actually met up with him at Ruth Chris in Middleton (Barry owned it at the time). Barry was a great guy.....Bielema was a jerk. And his wife was a beeotch. Most in the Madison knew this.

Bielema had some good teams at Wisconsin, but he wasn't able to sustain. He's only gotten fatter since, and he's yet to sustain anywhere else. He won't sustain at Illinois. Fat people like that don't sustain success.
Bielema left Wisconsin in 2012, after winning 3 consecutive Big Ten titles. He had some "down" years but went to 6 consecutive bowls in his 6 years as head coach in Madison. He was responsible for Russell Wilson coming to Wisconsin, stole Melvin Gordon from Iowa and had a pretty decent run with the Badgers. I HATE Wisconsin but I think Bielema is a good coach.

Bielema left Wisconsin because he could no longer tolerate being Barry's thumb,.. Looking back, he probably should have just stuck it out...
BB wanted to be "the man" and he would never be that with Barry there. Barry was beloved and Brett's ego got him sideways with people in the area. You are right though, given where everything went (Arkansas) he should have just held tight for awhile.

Bielema left Wisconsin because he could no longer tolerate being Barry's thumb,.. Looking back, he probably should have just stuck it out...
He's also created some bad vibes in "social situations" around Madison. Put those two together, he was smart to leverage his success into another P5 job.

I agree, with "stuck it out" with the added caveat of "until another Big Ten job opened up". Bret was a fool for going to the SEC, especially a trap program like Arkansas (high alumni expectations, low ceiling). Terrible fit!

Bret always should have left Wisconsin for the Illinois job, and he should have gone for it when it first came open at then end of 2012, or when it came open again in 2015/2016. They would have backed up the $$$ truck to hire him either of those times. Instead they got him for cheap (relatively speaking) in 2021.

BB now going Saban for coaches to detox a year after getting the broom? Look for him to issue a Frost warning soon! 😀
I respectfully disagree. BB can coach! His picking up Leonard this year (I’ll has a ton of defense to replace) is just what he needs. If really think folks underestimate BB….I’
d love for him to bring his tattooed ankle to IC as a coach someday.

I respectfully disagree. BB can coach! His picking up Leonard this year (I’ll has a ton of defense to replace) is just what he needs. If really think folks underestimate BB….I’
You’ll have to wait a while then, as per his words at Big Ten Media Days he signed his new contract with a non-compete clause within the Big Ten.

See Arkansas

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT