ADVERTISEMENT

Jim Leonhard going to Illinois

Lots of bad experiments in Arkansas….not limited to football. The guy can coach. Other than Frank Broyles, tell me who has had consistent football success there?
after Broyles Lou Holtz went .753, Houston Nutt was .610 from 1998-2007, Bobby Petrino went .667 from 2008-2011 and the current coach is .528 in 3 years.

All of them had better winning % than Beilema.

I respectfully disagree. BB can coach! His picking up Leonard this year (I’ll has a ton of defense to replace) is just what he needs. If really think folks underestimate BB….I’
d love for him to bring his tattooed ankle to IC as a coach someday.
I wouldn't wait too long, with that weight he's carrying his heart won't make it.

Reactions: Bishop1971
Brett Bielema
My fears precisely, and I have felt that way from WAY before Bilema took over as head coach. I mean, we all know where Iowa gets a lot of our talent from.
Brett Bilema is a very good coach with a likable personality and teamed with Jim Leonhard will be difficult for Iowa to beat out.

Like it or not, Illinois is proving they can compete again in football. I don't think this is the year they prove it necessarily but they'll win at least 7 this year and over the next two-three seasons, I bet they become a consistent 8+ win team every year with dalliances in the 10 win category fairly regularly (depending on what divisions look like at that point or if they even exist once Washington/Oregon are in). Beliema is a great coach. It is what it is.

Like it or not, Illinois is proving they can compete again in football. I don't think this is the year they prove it necessarily but they'll win at least 7 this year and over the next two-three seasons, I bet they become a consistent 8+ win team every year with dalliances in the 10 win category fairly regularly (depending on what divisions look like at that point or if they even exist once Washington/Oregon are in). Beliema is a great coach. It is what it is.
I'm not sure he's a "great coach", but he's a definite upgrade from anyone they've had for along time. I'm also in the camp that the Illini are a team that COULD move into that 2nd tier behind OSU-Michigan, (where I put PSU, Wisconsin and Iowa), should they maintain some success. I do think BB could be a good fit. He understands what it takes to win in the B1G......

He only "didn't sustain" when he went to Arkansas.....that was a disaster. He had some really strong years in Wisky. People got tired of him there because he was a jerk. I lived in Madison at that time. Actually met up with him at Ruth Chris in Middleton (Barry owned it at the time). Barry was a great guy.....Bielema was a jerk. And his wife was a beeotch. Most in the Madison knew this.

I remember the reporting stories about Bielema moving to arkansas was also that Wisky admin wouldnt increase his asst coaches salary enough which was what was happening at the schools who were maintaining their success.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT