ADVERTISEMENT

Jimmy Buffett, Hospitalized After Bahamas Trip, Cancels Show

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
Jimmy Buffett, the singer-songwriter who has built a lucrative lifestyle empire on the basis of beach-bum anthems like “Margaritaville” and “It’s 5 O’Clock Somewhere,” canceled a show scheduled for Saturday in Charleston, S.C., after he was hospitalized for an unspecified illness.
Mr. Buffett, 76, said in a statement on Thursday that he had a “sudden change of plans this week” after returning from a trip to the Bahamas.
“I had to stop in Boston for a checkup but wound up back in the hospital to address some issues that needed immediate attention,” he said. “Growing old is not for sissies, I promise you.”
Mr. Buffett said that he would perform again when he is “well enough.”
A representative for Mr. Buffett responded to a request for information about his condition by referring to his statement and declined to comment further.
Story continues below advertisement
Continue reading the main story

It was unclear on Friday how long Mr. Buffett would refrain from performing. There were no events listed on his tour page, which told Parrotheads, as Mr. Buffett’s fans call themselves, to “stay tuned” for upcoming show announcements.
Nick Pezzorello, the president of a Charleston-based Jimmy Buffett fan club, said that the Lowcountry Parrothead Club wished Mr. Buffett a “speedy recovery” so that his fans “may enjoy and celebrate his music and lifestyle for many more years to come.”
“We will anxiously await his return to the Holy City,” Mr. Pezzorello said, referring to Charleston.

It was the second time in seven months that Mr. Buffett has had to reschedule shows because of his health. Citing “health issues and brief hospitalization” in September, Mr. Buffett canceled five shows that had been planned in Las Vegas, San Diego, Salt Lake City and Nampa, Idaho, in October.
“On doctor’s orders, he must take this time to recuperate and heal,” an announcement on Mr. Buffett’s website said in September.

Mr. Buffett was soon back on the road, performing monthly since February. He rescheduled and performed two shows in Las Vegas in March and one in San Diego in early May. He also played in Key West, Fla., and Phoenix.
Last month, his hit “Margaritaville” from the 1977 album, “Changes in Latitudes, Changes in Attitudes,” was among 25 recordings that were added to the National Recording Registry.
The registry, which is part of the Library of Congress, designates recordings that are “culturally, historically or aesthetically significant” and “worthy of preservation for all time.”
When “Margaritaville” was released, the song stayed on the sales charts for months, “scoring with pop and country audiences alike, as well as teenagers and adults,” the Library of Congress said in a statement in April.
The song celebrates a life of sunny leisure and frozen drinks, from the opening lines, “nibblin’ on sponge cake, watchin’ the sun bake,” to its earworm refrain, “wastin’ away in Margaritaville, searchin’ for my lost shaker of salt.”
“Today, its lyrics are as memorized as any song in history,” the Library of Congress said, adding that the song is “as well known and omnipresent as ever — a regular component of bars, beach parties, karaoke and any place cool vibes are required.”

I'm concerned that I've seen him for the last time. Had tickets for the Vegas show that got rescheduled but we couldn't go the week they rescheduled it too.
Was so glad we got to see him last summer in Austin! Jimmy is the majority of my vinyl collection (of a single artist).

Jimmy Buffett, the singer-songwriter who has built a lucrative lifestyle empire on the basis of beach-bum anthems like “Margaritaville” and “It’s 5 O’Clock Somewhere,” canceled a show scheduled for Saturday in Charleston, S.C., after he was hospitalized for an unspecified illness.
Mr. Buffett, 76, said in a statement on Thursday that he had a “sudden change of plans this week” after returning from a trip to the Bahamas.
“I had to stop in Boston for a checkup but wound up back in the hospital to address some issues that needed immediate attention,” he said. “Growing old is not for sissies, I promise you.”
Mr. Buffett said that he would perform again when he is “well enough.”
A representative for Mr. Buffett responded to a request for information about his condition by referring to his statement and declined to comment further.
Story continues below advertisement
Continue reading the main story

It was unclear on Friday how long Mr. Buffett would refrain from performing. There were no events listed on his tour page, which told Parrotheads, as Mr. Buffett’s fans call themselves, to “stay tuned” for upcoming show announcements.
Nick Pezzorello, the president of a Charleston-based Jimmy Buffett fan club, said that the Lowcountry Parrothead Club wished Mr. Buffett a “speedy recovery” so that his fans “may enjoy and celebrate his music and lifestyle for many more years to come.”
“We will anxiously await his return to the Holy City,” Mr. Pezzorello said, referring to Charleston.

It was the second time in seven months that Mr. Buffett has had to reschedule shows because of his health. Citing “health issues and brief hospitalization” in September, Mr. Buffett canceled five shows that had been planned in Las Vegas, San Diego, Salt Lake City and Nampa, Idaho, in October.
“On doctor’s orders, he must take this time to recuperate and heal,” an announcement on Mr. Buffett’s website said in September.

Mr. Buffett was soon back on the road, performing monthly since February. He rescheduled and performed two shows in Las Vegas in March and one in San Diego in early May. He also played in Key West, Fla., and Phoenix.
Last month, his hit “Margaritaville” from the 1977 album, “Changes in Latitudes, Changes in Attitudes,” was among 25 recordings that were added to the National Recording Registry.
The registry, which is part of the Library of Congress, designates recordings that are “culturally, historically or aesthetically significant” and “worthy of preservation for all time.”
When “Margaritaville” was released, the song stayed on the sales charts for months, “scoring with pop and country audiences alike, as well as teenagers and adults,” the Library of Congress said in a statement in April.
The song celebrates a life of sunny leisure and frozen drinks, from the opening lines, “nibblin’ on sponge cake, watchin’ the sun bake,” to its earworm refrain, “wastin’ away in Margaritaville, searchin’ for my lost shaker of salt.”
“Today, its lyrics are as memorized as any song in history,” the Library of Congress said, adding that the song is “as well known and omnipresent as ever — a regular component of bars, beach parties, karaoke and any place cool vibes are required.”
Did he step on a pop top?

Serious question. Do non-white people think this guy has a scintilla of talent? I don't get this cat but I ain't white. Do you have to be white to enjoy this?

Badhaai Ho Bollywood GIF

Serious question. Do non-white people think this guy has a scintilla of talent? I don't get this cat but I ain't white. Do you have to be white to enjoy this?
I don't get it. I saw him at Alpine Valley back in the day and thought it was one of the most overrated concerts I've ever seen. It seems like being extremely drunk helps but that didn't work for me either

Supposedly he wrote the song "We Are The People Our Parents Warned Us About" about Ed Podolak.

I bet there's some great stories between those two

Reactions: Tom Paris
I have no problem accepting the idea that some people's tastes and preferences do not include Jimmy Buffett's music or even his "ecosystem" but lacking talent is way off.

- Successful songwriter
- Adequate singer/performer/entertainer
- Successful author (At one time he was either the only one, or one of few that have had NYT best selling books in both fiction and non-fiction)
- Successful businessman (tours, restaurants, media, products)
- Licensed pilot and sailor

Obviously none of that is achieved solely by himself, but those achievements are not accumulated by the talentless.

Nyah. No racist intent. The demographics of his concerts etc are like 99.8% white. Different ethnic groups like different stuff.
I was kidding.

Well, Jimmy promotes a Nautical/Beach lifestyle with a singer song writer vibe, so if that appeals to non-whites then so be it, but I highly doubt it. I'd venture to say, you wouldn't see a lot of white folk at an NWA concert back in the day.

Reactions: goldmom and GOHOX69
I'm glad he's recovering. I've seen him live a bunch of times.......not so much in the last 15-20 years. I always had a good time at the concerts. Read a couple of his books, too. They were pretty good.

I feel like he did sort of "sell-out".....where money became the overriding goal, but there are aa bunch of singers and bands who've gone this route (some may have felt forced to do so be cause of the negative fiscal impact of streaming).

giphy.gif

I'm glad he's recovering. I've seen him live a bunch of times.......not so much in the last 15-20 years. I always had a good time at the concerts. Read a couple of his books, too. They were pretty good.

I feel like he did sort of "sell-out".....where money became the overriding goal, but there are aa bunch of singers and bands who've gone this route (some may have felt forced to do so be cause of the negative fiscal impact of streaming).

giphy.gif

There's an argument to be made about all the licensing he's done. But I doubt money is the overriding goal at this point. There's no reason in the world he would still be touring if he didn't enjoy it.

I went to his concert here last year and it was more about dressing up like a Parrothead and having multiple adult beverages with strangers than pure
Musical genius. He was like the host at an outdoor pool party.
Two guys who sat next to us were from St Louis and were at something like their 28th concert. Older guys who were buddies since college days and one was a bank President. Crazy.

Reactions: TheCainer
I went to his concert here last year and it was more about dressing up like a Parrothead and having multiple adult beverages with strangers than pure
Musical genius. He was like the host at an outdoor pool party.
Two guys who sat next to us were from St Louis and were at something like their 28th concert. Older guys who were buddies since college days and one was a bank President. Crazy.
I've never been, but that is exactly what I have always imagined a Jimmy Buffet concert to be like. Bank president college friends and all.

Reactions: goldmom
I can listen to him all day long, but at 76, it maybe time to enjoy retirement.
He seems like he's basically been living a retirement life for the last 40 years, just doing what he loves all day everyday.

Watched a video of him picking up an awesome new fishing boat earlier this month. He visited the factory they built it in and mingled with all the people that built the boat.

Just seems like a great average Joe who's made the most of his life and brought a lot of happiness and day dreaming to a shit ton of humanity.

Hard to beat that in life.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT