ADVERTISEMENT

Joe Labas (pronounced LAY BUS) Updates + Sports Illustrated Story on how Ricky Stanzi played big part in Iowa landing him

Alex or Spencer will transfer next season. Possibly both. I was just kind of joking when I said Joey would start before the end of the season. Not joking when I say he will be starting before the end of next season.

This is the QB we've been waiting for. Mobile in the pocket and scrambling but also sees the running lane left open by double teams, etc.. then turns it downfield. Strong enough arm to squeeze the ball into tight pockets and a nice touch on fades. He's been tutored by Stanzi and now KOK so I'm thinking he will probably know the offense well enough to start in the fall.

Joey, Carson and Lainz all three look substantially more athletic and mobile than any QB on the roster or any Iowa has played since CJ. That alone will help the offense immensely. Drew Tate started ahead of an upperclassman as a true soph. Nate Stanley started ahead of another upperclassmen, as a true soph. Given Alex and Spencer's clear limitation I think the RS FR is starting next season.

Hell, the description KF gave was glowing for a young QB.​

Agree w/ CL, start Padilla and see how he does. Can always bring in SP we know what he does. Would love to see Labas but know it won't happen.
Why? Because we've never seen what he can do? I liked some of what I have seen from each QB but they both have blind spots and weaknesses. I was hoping that Padilla would be faster than Petras but he is about as slow. He does seem to have more awareness of the rush around him but he also throws into coverage a lot more often than Petras. And Petras sometimes seems to forget about what's happening around him when he locks in on receivers. He has better judgement on throwing into coverage but he locks on too much and gets himself into trouble or throws the ball away when he really has an open receiver. He needs to trust his receivers more.

Both QBs are frustrating at times, both have good plays, too. I just want the best and healthiest player to start, regardless of who it is. But I honestly cannot say that one or the other has played themself ahead. Who knows, maybe Labas will come on like Tate or Stanzi did. I just hope that someone does!

Last edited:
But but but one poster CLAIMED to have seen Labas struggle a lot in one practice…

so if he’s not perfect in practice, let’s start piling on him, especially the fake hawk fans who are here to bash the Hawkeyes in the hopes that it will help their cyclones or huskers or badgers or wildcats….

Reactions: not_mantiteo
If Labas plays it'll be because the Ferenzi successfully stuff Labas into their box. It's a box of very conservative decision making.

The opponent can't intercept a pass never thrown.

You can't turn the ball over if you don't have possession.

Let the opponent make a mistake, not us.

That's Iowa fb.

So, unfortunately, Labas will not be allowed to flourish. His flashes will be dimmed but hopefully still surface enough to help.

Joey turned heads as a mobile scout-team QB.

Note that he was practicing with the twos during bowl prep.

A quote from the story: “I’ve seen him throw like a sidearm, like a Patrick Mahomes’ pass, and completed it. I’m just like, ‘What the hey?’"

Reactions: JupiterHawk
So, what does this mean (from the article)? Sounds like the Force.

Stanzi currently works with the GOATA (Greatest Of All Time Athletes) locomotion system. His job wouldn’t necessarily be to tweak Labas’ arm mechanics, though. With GOATA, Stanzi focuses his attention on how energy moves throughout the body (specifically in footwork) and hones in the most efficient methods.

If this guy can do Jedi mind tricks, in addition to his other skills, that would be awesome!

Did our coaches say that?
Politics has taught me situational assessment. Step outside your preconceptions or the premises of your beliefs.

Then assess the situation. What is being said by whom. What is not being said. What would similarly situational person do in the same situation. Where are my thoughts taking me and how might that be the wrong direction? Does the big picture painted by the granular strokes seem reasonable?

When was the last time you heard KF talk about a freshman QB, especially the descriptions of his play? KF talking about the big play is much more important than the usual coach speak "needs to know what to do", because the first part is new. That's an important signal.

KF has changed QBs both in and out of the season. Change is not unthinkable to KF. Go clear back to like Drew Tate's first starting season. Drew had to jump Jason Manson, and he did. Stanzi jumped Christensen-JC was the ball control QB and KF went with the gambler with the gun. He did it again a few seasons later with Jake Rudock and CJ. The staff went with the strong-armed gunner. Nate Stanley jumped that Weiger kid. KF will change QBs if the situation warrants it.

Does the situation warrant it?

The consensus of literally everyone on every site identifies Spencer as the worst starting QB at Iowa in the last 20 seasons, except maybe Alex Padilla. Brian Ferentz does not seem like the kind of guy that handles frustration well. How frustrating must it be to watch your QB consistently miss finding or hitting open receivers? I think a slammed clip board was BF's reaction when Spencer fell down on the sneak. Do you think BF wants a mess at QB making him look bad? Spencer's played for two years, it cannot be said he didn't have a chance. KOK is almost 70, do you think he wants Spencer Petras to be the QB for whom he's remembered? My take, KOK and BF push hard for Joey.

It makes the most sense. You don't hang around as long as Kirk without making the smarter move. Barring injuries and blow outs I think we have seen the end of the Petras era.

Politics has taught me situational assessment. Step outside your preconceptions or the premises of your beliefs.

Then assess the situation. What is being said by whom. What is not being said. What would similarly situational person do in the same situation. Where are my thoughts taking me and how might that be the wrong direction? Does the big picture painted by the granular strokes seem reasonable?

When was the last time you heard KF talk about a freshman QB, especially the descriptions of his play? KF talking about the big play is much more important than the usual coach speak "needs to know what to do", because the first part is new. That's an important signal.

KF has changed QBs both in and out of the season. Change is not unthinkable to KF. Go clear back to like Drew Tate's first starting season. Drew had to jump Jason Manson, and he did. Stanzi jumped Christensen-JC was the ball control QB and KF went with the gambler with the gun. He did it again a few seasons later with Jake Rudock and CJ. The staff went with the strong-armed gunner. Nate Stanley jumped that Weiger kid. KF will change QBs if the situation warrants it.

Does the situation warrant it?

The consensus of literally everyone on every site identifies Spencer as the worst starting QB at Iowa in the last 20 seasons, except maybe Alex Padilla. Brian Ferentz does not seem like the kind of guy that handles frustration well. How frustrating must it be to watch your QB consistently miss finding or hitting open receivers? I think a slammed clip board was BF's reaction when Spencer fell down on the sneak. Do you think BF wants a mess at QB making him look bad? Spencer's played for two years, it cannot be said he didn't have a chance. KOK is almost 70, do you think he wants Spencer Petras to be the QB for whom he's remembered? My take, KOK and BF push hard for Joey.

It makes the most sense. You don't hang around as long as Kirk without making the smarter move. Barring injuries and blow outs I think we have seen the end of the Petras era.
I have no preconceptions or beliefs on the situation. I’m in the camp of wanting to see what Labas can do but he’s not played a snap and people are proclaiming him a savior I believe only because of how bad Petras has been. You seem to be one of those. I hope Labas is what we hope he is. I also fear there is more to our offensive woes than just the QB.

Joey turned heads as a mobile scout-team QB.

Note that he was practicing with the twos during bowl prep.

A quote from the story: “I’ve seen him throw like a sidearm, like a Patrick Mahomes’ pass, and completed it. I’m just like, ‘What the hey?’"

His HS coach:

“What separates him from a lot of people is just the way that he carries and conducts himself,” Poder said. “Some of the things that he does on the football field, like to him, in terms of his athletic ability and stuff like that, it’s just natural for him.

“That ‘It’ factor with him, he doesn’t think it’s anything special. But there’s a lot of times it’s really special.”

Did our coaches say that?

KF was asked who was standing out in bowl prep. KF said he was hesitant to say anything because he thought fans would overreact and go crazy on the message boards.

What we do know, however, is that:

* Joey turned heads as a mobile scout-team QB.

* Joey was practicing with the twos during bowl prep.

* He's been making impressive plays/throws. A quote from this story: “I’ve seen him throw like a sidearm, like a Patrick Mahomes’ pass, and completed it. I’m just like, ‘What the hey?’"

Last edited:
KK was asked who was standing out in bowl prep. KF said he was hesitant to say anything because he thought fans would overreact and go crazy on the message boards.

What we do know, however, is that:

* Joey turned heads as a mobile scout-team QB.

* Joey was practicing with the twos during bowl prep.

* He's been making impressive plays/throws. A quote from this story: “I’ve seen him throw like a sidearm, like a Patrick Mahomes’ pass, and completed it. I’m just like, ‘What the hey?’"

He threw it SIDEWAYS!?

He is DEFINITELY ready to take over the reigns.

Reactions: icsedge1
Drew Tate wants to come back and coach at Iowa, when he had that podcast he was very vocal about wanting to coach at iowa
And he should. Amazing how Chuck Long, Drew Tate, Brad Banks have Not been welcomed back in some capacity. They have been there,done that- couldn’t hurt on the recruiting circuit etc.

The point? Joey is making the throws that Petras & Padilla don't make.

One sidearm pick from Labas and he's gonna see the bench real quick.
Labas will have to make throws like Spence and Padilla if he wants play.

You can't turn the ball over if you don't have it. That's Kirkball.

So many great QBs on the Iowa roster, how do they all remain happy?

archer-foreshadowing.gif

I have no preconceptions or beliefs on the situation. I’m in the camp of wanting to see what Labas can do but he’s not played a snap and people are proclaiming him a savior I believe only because of how bad Petras has been. You seem to be one of those. I hope Labas is what we hope he is. I also fear there is more to our offensive woes than just the QB.
You have a clear preconception-KF will not change QBs, hence the doubt in your email.

We will see what this offense looks like with a good QB and a good line.

You have a clear preconception-KF will not change QBs, hence the doubt in your email.

We will see what this offense looks like with a good QB and a good line.
I have plenty of doubt. Total speculation on Labas. I’m all in on wanting a change. I’m also not sold on our receivers or our scheme. We had one of the worst offenses in a long time. I believe there’s more to it than just Petras, though I think he’s a big part. Time will tell.

Whether you believe it or not, the coaches play the players who they think are playing the best & give Iowa the best chance to win

I don't doubt that one bit.
Now, whether or not they really are the players that give Iowa the best chance to win is really the point here.

Nobody thinks Kirk is deliberately trying to not win lol.

Reactions: Birky
And it appears he is making the throws in practice that Spencer does not make in games
But you also have the staff saying that that he has to learn how to play in Iowa's system and not just improvise things. I think it would be foolish to think Petras isn't the the starter next year if he remains at Iowa.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT