ADVERTISEMENT

Joe Labas (pronounced LAY BUS) Updates + Sports Illustrated Story on how Ricky Stanzi played big part in Iowa landing him

But you also have the staff saying that that he has to learn how to play in Iowa's system and not just improvise things. I think it would be foolish to think Petras isn't the the starter next year if he remains at Iowa.
Considering Iowa has looked in the portal for a QB, they obviously know somebody else needs to play QB for them to get where they want to go. It could end up being Petras, but I wouldn’t be so sure.

Considering Iowa has looked in the portal for a QB, they obviously know somebody else needs to play QB for them to get where they want to go. It could end up being Petras, but I wouldn’t be so sure.
It doesn't appear they are seriously looking at anyone in the portal.

But you also have the staff saying that that he has to learn how to play in Iowa's system and not just improvise things. I think it would be foolish to think Petras isn't the the starter next year if he remains at Iowa.

But how many overthrown passes to wide open receivers will the staff ignore?

If Joey has the play book down, Spencer no longer has the advantage and we just may see Joey at QB1.

I don't think we're looking at the portal for a QB. No reason to believe that. I believe that was lip service to say we are looking at all positions.

Really? History does not support that conclusion, really at all.

KF has changed QBs both in and out of the season. Change is not unthinkable to KF. Go clear back to like Drew Tate's first starting season. Drew had to jump Jason Manson, and he did. Stanzi jumped Christensen-JC was the ball control QB and KF went with the gambler with the gun. He did it again a few seasons later with Jake Rudock and CJ. The staff went with the strong-armed gunner. Nate Stanley jumped that Weiger kid. KF will change QBs if the situation warrants it.

When did KF stick with the inferior QB when a better option was on the roster? When did the inferior QB win the job? Certainly not Ruddock or Beathard. Simple story, the sophomore developed and jumped the junior. Both players forced KFs hand and he went with the bigger upside-Beathard the sophomore.

Same was true with Christensen and Stanzi. KF changed starters, who'd been splitting time anyway in the first 2 games just 2 games into the season.

Even Spencer was the pick of a bad litter. Padilla was a sub .500. There's no reason to believe Hogan was better.

This "KF won't change QBs" outlook is an urban myth that defies reality.

Last edited:

When did KF sticker with the inferior QB when a better option was on the roster? When did the inferior QB win the job? Certainly not Ruddock or Beathard. Simple story, the sophomore developed and jumped the junior. Both players forced KFs hand and he went with the bigger upside-Beathard the sophomore.

Same was true with Christensen and Stanzi. KF changed starters, who'd been splitting time anyway in the first 2 games just 2 games into the season.

Even Spencer was the pick of a bad litter. Padilla was a sub .500. There's no reason to believe Hogan was better.

I agree with this. To think that coaches will not play the best players is bizarre. Now if someone is a behavior issue, like a WR from years ago I won’t name, he won’t see the field. If someone has skills but won’t block or fumbles all the time, he won’t play. It’s putting the players on the field that give us the best chance to win. I agree with that and we don’t see practices. That is where you earn playing time.

I don't think we're looking at the portal for a QB. No reason to believe that. I believe that was lip service to say we are looking at all positions.

Yeah, we already have 4 QBs.

Here will be next year's QB depth chart: ;)

QB1: Joey Labas
QB2: Spencer Petras
QB3: Alex Padilla
QB4: Carson May

The main problem with all of this is that Iowa football is a product Barta and Ferentz are trying to sell. Social media such as Twitter and message boards are the reviews they are receiving for their product that shows up on the field. When they get testy about the reviews that are coming in what are they going to do about it? It only takes so long before people get sick of it and quit buying or donating to that said product like they did in the end of the Lickliter days. Like it or not there will be people happy, indifferent and pissed about the product they pay to see. If they continue to just ignore the fans soon no one will buy the product and that’s when there will be a big problem.

The main problem with all of this is that Iowa football is a product Barta and Ferentz are trying to sell. Social media such as Twitter and message boards are the reviews they are receiving for their product that shows up on the field. When they get testy about the reviews that are coming in what are they going to do about it? It only takes so long before people get sick of it and quit buying or donating to that said product like they did in the end of the Lickliter days. Like it or not there will be people happy, indifferent and pissed about the product they pay to see. If they continue to just ignore the fans soon no one will buy the product and that’s when there will be a big problem.
Except, of course, Lickliter was setting records for most losses in a season and KF is coming off a ten win season and divisional championship. KF had the best recruiting class in years. I don't know where the attendance numbers are curated but I'm guessing pretty close to a full stadium every home game.

I do know that Barta and Kirk, and really all the coaches don't give a rat's ass about the lunatic ramblings of a few dozen malcontents on a "talk" site. Forgot to add, if you are suggesting fans should stop attending and donors should stop donating you are way past being an Iowa fan. You may have been an Iowa fan at one point but now you see Iowa as an enemy you want to destroy.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: not_mantiteo
Except, of course, Lickliter was setting records for most losses in a season and KF is coming off a ten win season and divisional championship. KF had the best recruiting class in years. I don't know where the attendance numbers are curated but I'm guessing pretty close to a full stadium every home game.

I do know that Barta and Kirk, and really all the coaches don't give a rat's ass about the lunatic ramblings of a few dozen malcontents on a "talk" site. Forgot to add, if you are suggesting fans should stop attending and donors should stop donating you are way past being an Iowa fan. You may have been an Iowa fan at one point but now you see Iowa as an enemy you want to destroy.
Not saying I want fans to quit coming and donors to quit giving money. But there comes a time when it’s the same crap show over and over it happens. My family was tempted to go to the bowl game till the championship happened. I wouldn’t have spent a dollar to watch after what happened against Michigan. You just have to remember a crap team like nebbie put up 29 points on ol blue and we put up 3. I just wish they could put some qb talent on the field more often than not.
You also have to remember it’s the FANS that make it possible so they should care if a lot of the fan base is sick of it.

You say a lot of the fan base is sick of it, but is it really a lot of the fan base or a few posters on a message board that complain and whine all the time anyway. I saw a pretty full Kinnick all year and believe most fans love the Hawks and are supportive of their efforts. I don't think most of the fan base is sick of it.

Reactions: Birky
You say a lot of the fan base is sick of it, but is it really a lot of the fan base or a few posters on a message board that complain and whine all the time anyway. I saw a pretty full Kinnick all year and believe most fans love the Hawks and are supportive of their efforts. I don't think most of the fan base is sick of it.
I still go to home games at Iowa City and love the hawks but am sick of the offensive output the majority of the time. Most of the people I say that are sick of it isn’t on here and in person. I do believe you can still support a team you like and not be happy with the product on the field.

When did KF stick with the inferior QB when a better option was on the roster? When did the inferior QB win the job? Certainly not Ruddock or Beathard. Simple story, the sophomore developed and jumped the junior. Both players forced KFs hand and he went with the bigger upside-Beathard the sophomore.

You think Labas will be the starter at the start of next season? He is going to be a redshirt Freshman going against a 2 year starter who the coaches say knows the offense inside and out. The coaches have basically said Labas really doesn't know the offense yet. This isn't about the inferior QB. Even Labas has more talent, he won't be the starter until he proves he knows the ridiculously bad offense as good as Petras.

Totally disagree. Being sick of how the offense is ran doesn't mean fans don't still support the team. I would say a vast majority of Iowa fans want a different offense but those same fans still back the team. That is what being a fan is about.

Good point but when Petras misses wide open receivers, I think even the fans in the stands wonder if there is a better option wearing a red hat.

You think Labas will be the starter at the start of next season? He is going to be a redshirt Freshman going against a 2 year starter who the coaches say knows the offense inside and out. The coaches have basically said Labas really doesn't know the offense yet. This isn't about the inferior QB. Even Labas has more talent, he won't be the starter until he proves he knows the ridiculously bad offense as good as Petras.
Yes, I do. If forced to wager I'd hedge until about the 3rd game of the season.

Without reiterating all I've said above in support of my opinion, just reference it, KF knows the business end of the business, he's NFL. Once the HC loses the donors, he loses his job. He also knows that can happen very quickly. Like Ricky Stanzi and Jake C, Spencer might get a couple of starts while the coaches determine Joey's game readiness, but nothing more than that.

I have been a big supporter of Kirk Ferentz, and for the most part had not bitched to much about the offense. However, I just don't see any improvement taking place, and it is kind of sad to field a top 20 defense, top 20 special teams but cannot field a competent offensive to compliment them. Unfortunately, some people are set in their ways and hard to change, thus is the ways of KF.. I think the offense has evolved somewhat, however, when you have your QB's talking about how difficult of an offense it is and their is little to no production on the field it's time to make some major changes. Major changes which will not happen, but it is what it is. I personally don't think Brian (although I don't always agree with his play selections) is the problem, it looks like it somewhat evolved under him, but it is still the same base zone blocking offense that hasn't been good at running the ball in years. You know, really, the coaches cannot defend the offense since the offense cannot put any points on the board, and that is the main function of the offense. LOL

I think the offense has evolved somewhat, however, when you have your QB's talking about how difficult of an offense it is and their is little to no production on the field it's time to make some major changes. Major changes which will not happen, but it is what it is. I personally don't think Brian (although I don't always agree with his play selections) is the problem, it looks like it somewhat evolved under him, but it is still the same base zone blocking offense that hasn't been good at running the ball in years
Started to change after the Vadger loss in 2019. Then, 2020 hits and whole season is messed up, and still Iowa came out with a .750 conference record. But that offense's potential ceiling was anchored to a very shaky QB that has never stopped shaking.

I really think we'll see a lot more productivity with Joey at QB. More big plays. The young running backs are power guys for which our offense is tailored. Two great soph receiver. The line must improve significantly but showed damn good promise in the bowl game. Let's see what we see next spring.

This was from a Dec 28 column from Scott Dochterman of the Athletic.

Some excerpts:

Kirk Ferentz wanted to avoid any of his younger players becoming “internet marvels” and he vowed to avoid discussing their strides during Citrus Bowl preparation.

Then seven sentences into his answer, the dean of college football coaches broke his vow like a flimsy New Year’s resolution and began talking about — of all positions — his youngest quarterback.

“That’s one of the neat things about bowl preparation; you get a chance to watch guys and coach guys who have usually been holding scout team plays up,” Ferentz said. “(Joey) Labas has been taking snaps with the twos — I better quit talking about quarterbacks in the press.

“It’s just been fun, fun to watch him. He’s one of those guys. Not quite ready to start, that’s for sure.”

Ferentz hasn’t named a Citrus Bowl starter and said bowl prep has given Labas “a jump on spring ball.” In the process, Labas’ elevation has allowed Iowa’s primary offensive players to witness what the team’s first-team defenders faced daily with Labas as a scout-team quarterback.

The 6-foot-4, 194-pound true freshman has wowed his teammates with his play-making ability and his competitive personality. That’s not easy for an 18-year-old player in his first semester on campus battling one of the nation’s best defensive units.

The FULL Story:

Last edited:
This was from a Dec 28 column from Scott Dochterman of the Athletic.

Some excerpts:

Kirk Ferentz wanted to avoid any of his younger players becoming “internet marvels” and he vowed to avoid discussing their strides during Citrus Bowl preparation.

Then seven sentences into his answer, the dean of college football coaches broke his vow like a flimsy New Year’s resolution and began talking about — of all positions — his youngest quarterback.

“That’s one of the neat things about bowl preparation; you get a chance to watch guys and coach guys who have usually been holding scout team plays up,” Ferentz said. “(Joey) Labas has been taking snaps with the twos — I better quit talking about quarterbacks in the press.

“It’s just been fun, fun to watch him. He’s one of those guys. Not quite ready to start, that’s for sure.”

Ferentz hasn’t named a Citrus Bowl starter and said bowl prep has given Labas “a jump on spring ball.” In the process, Labas’ elevation has allowed Iowa’s primary offensive players to witness what the team’s first-team defenders faced daily with Labas as a scout-team quarterback.

The 6-foot-4, 194-pound true freshman has wowed his teammates with his play-making ability and his competitive personality. That’s not easy for an 18-year-old player in his first semester on campus battling one of the nation’s best defensive units.

The FULL Story:

My question to Labas not being ready is: And Petras and/or Padilla were ready to start?

Lets just hope Joey continues to wow the coaches and takes the QB1 job
If I were a betting man, I’d guess Labas will be QB1 at some point next year. My fear is, they’ll have to sacrifice some game to do it. E.g. the 2008 Pitt game.

Then again, maybe he’ll crap his pants on the field?🤷‍♂️

@HungryHawk @Birky @NevadaHawk

Go up 4 posts; lots of good info from Scott Dochterman.

As you will see, during bowl prep, Joey took snaps with the twos. Bowl prep gave Labas a jump on spring ball.

Labas’ elevation allowed Iowa’s primary offensive players to witness what the team’s first-team defenders faced daily with Labas as a scout-team quarterback. The 6-foot-4, 194-pound true freshman wowed his teammates with his play-making ability and his competitive personality, going up against one of the nation's best defenses.

@HungryHawk @Birky @NevadaHawk

Go up 4 posts; lots of good info from Scott Dochterman.

As you will see, during bowl prep, Joey took snaps with the twos. Bowl prep gave Labas a jump on spring ball.

Labas’ elevation allowed Iowa’s primary offensive players to witness what the team’s first-team defenders faced daily with Labas as a scout-team quarterback.

The 6-foot-4, 194-pound true freshman wowed his teammates with his play-making ability and his competitive personality, going up against one of the nation's best defenses.
I listened to all Doch’s podcasts this year. He was even more demonstrative about Labas in those. Things like “miracle worker” were said. If Iowa’s offense ruins him….😡😡😡

I think the only other guys I’ve heard him talk about like that before they played, were probably Epenesa and Nixon.

Reactions: Franisdaman
Hawk fans wanting to see more Labas...

giphy.gif

I listened to all Doch’s podcasts this year. He was even more demonstrative about Labas in those. Things like “miracle worker” were said. If Iowa’s offense ruins him….😡😡😡

I think the only other guys I’ve heard him talk about like that before they played, were probably Epenesa and Nixon.

Interesting; I always like Scott's takes.

However, ever since Dochterman decided to join Rob Howe to do weekly podcasts, I have not listened to one of them.

I seriously think that anyone doing anything with Howe is a bad career choice.

Reactions: Lumas Etima

However, ever since Dochterman decided to join Rob Howe to do weekly podcasts, I have not listened to one of them.

Howe is difficult to listen to, but it's worth listening to those podcasts for Scott's takes. Howe generally just tees stuff up for Scott and lets him do most of the talking.

Howe is difficult to listen to, but it's worth listening to those podcasts for Scott's takes. Howe generally just tees stuff up for Scott and lets him do most of the talking.
Agreed. Between them, they take pretty even-handed takes on current landscape of Iowa sports. Dochterman offers balance on the advisory committee stuff.

I don’t care for Howe either, but you should listen. You’re only hurting yourself 😉

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT