ADVERTISEMENT

Joe Toussaint?

And Kriener seems to have a career in front of the camera when his playing days are done.

Wieskamp and Garza are stars for sure, but "If the rest of the guys fill their role" is a pretty big if. This could be an NCAA team, but there are a lot of unknowns at this point: Joe T., Evelyn, Fredrick, Patrick are all newcomers, plus Nunge and Pemsl coming off mid-career redshirts. With Bohannon likely out, we're looking at replacing three starters — and only four players from last year's tournament team will be back: Wieskamp, Garza, Kriener and Connor.

Right now, with the tough schedule, this looks like an NIT team. If we get breakout seasons from a couple guys, the NCAAs are a realistic possibility.

IMO the likeliest breakout player is Nunge, followed by Fredrick. The guy we most need to be a surprise star is Toussaint.
I think it is much easier to find role players than stars. 1-2 great players can carry an otherwise unremarkable team pretty far.

I’d guess we see a bunch of minutes for the new kids early on and I’d include Cordell and Nunge in that group. If score dictates Joe W , Garza, Kriener, and Conner are needed to ensure the W of course they play more.

There will be some minute battles going on for sure. Conner vs. Joe T and CJ vs. PMac are the ones that interest me most. I know a lot of posters are leaning towards Evelyn getting the starting nod, but I see him being a steadying force coming off the bench at either guard spot.
Not sure I understand the bolded part, pretty sure they play different positions.

Given what Fran has said about Fredrick, I suspect he is the starter at the #2 to start the season. He sounds like a real baller. As is the case with Connor/Joe T, if we are in a situation where Evelyn is good enough to challenge for the starting spot, that is a good problem to have.

Fran does tend to lay it on thick with the hyperbolic praise for his players, so we'll have to take a wait and see attitude as far as what CJF brings to the court this year, but like you, I'm fairly optimistic he will replace what we lost in Moss departing. I've also heard that Nunge has made great strides in his game and that towards the end of last season he was a dominant force in practices/scrimmages. If most of this praise is true it could be a really fun season ahead.

I realize we haven’t seen Fredrick play yet, but my assumption was that he is the better shooter between he and Evelyn. If memory serves, he shot over 48% from three his senior season. I also cannot help but think that part of Moss leaving was the prospect of even less playing time with more guards on the roster. That is pure speculation, but I think it was clear that an “expanded role” was not in the cards.

What I am hoping for most from Evelyn and Joe T is (1) Quickness. The type of quickness we have not had on the roster in a long time. (2) Good handles. Anything beyond those things would be a bonus. They should help our defense with their quickness. While turnovers were not particularly heinous last season, there were still games where we were very sloppy with the ball, bad passes, dribbling into traffic, off of feet, etc. Hopefully, they make the game easier for everyone else.
If Moss was afraid of more guard competition why did he end up at Kansas?

One possibility is that the guards on Kansas' roster don't do very well what Isaiah does well (long-range shooting). On the Hawk roster it may be that Frederick is also a good long-range shooter & may do some other things pretty well that were not viewed as Isaiah's strengths last year.

One possibility is that the guards on Kansas' roster don't do very well what Isaiah does well (long-range shooting). On the Hawk roster it may be that Frederick is also a good long-range shooter & may do some other things pretty well that were not viewed as Isaiah's strengths last year.

Pretty sure it's about getting the attention of NBA scouts. Isaiah wasn't going to be the #1 guy at Iowa no matter how much certain people (probably his dad) thought he deserved to be. Might as well try his luck as a role player at a big-time program like Kansas. It's not going to work, though.

I agree. Maybe he meant CJ and Weezy or Evelyn? PMac is a small forward. He and Wieskamp will hold down that position.
I think it has more to do with Weiskamp playing more at the 2 if Pmac is getting minutes at the 3.

P Mac vs. CJ comment was if P Mac outplays CJ I could see him at the 3 and Joe W at the 2. If CJ wins the battle then Joe W is at his more natural spot the 3. Of course if J Bo is healthy it’s meaningless.

P Mac vs. CJ comment was if P Mac outplays CJ I could see him at the 3 and Joe W at the 2. If CJ wins the battle then Joe W is at his more natural spot the 3. Of course if J Bo is healthy it’s meaningless.
Wieskamp's natural spot is the 2, not the 3.

He initially didn't. After they lost Grimes he did.

Kansas had next to no shooting. He fits a need and can be a solid role player for a blue blood.

I really hope Moss was feeling heat from Fredrick. I've been excited about CJ's potential since following his Sr season in HS. Not only did he lead his team to the State Championship, but he stepped up his game throughout the playoffs. Even though Moss had as much potential as anyone on the team last year, he wasn't a gamer. He never figured out how to bring out his best when the team needed it.

IMO the group of guards we have now is by far the best since Fran took over. Bakari and Joe T. bring athleticism we haven't had consistently, CJ, Bohannon, and Joe W. are outstanding shooters, and Connor has BBall IQ, and a toughness some of our teams have lacked. .

I really hope Moss was feeling heat from Fredrick. I've been excited about CJ's potential since following his Sr season in HS. Not only did he lead his team to the State Championship, but he stepped up his game throughout the playoffs. Even though Moss had as much potential as anyone on the team last year, he wasn't a gamer. He never figured out how to bring out his best when the team needed it.

IMO the group of guards we have now is by far the best since Fran took over. Bakari and Joe T. bring athleticism we haven't had consistently, CJ, Bohannon, and Joe W. are outstanding shooters, and Connor has BBall IQ, and a toughness some of our teams have lacked. .
Interesting observations. It must be said that for JoeT and CJ this is all enticing potential, and for Bakari, JB, and now Connor, it’s conditional on their health.
But agree that the potential is there for a good guard court.

Currently, with JB and Connor hobbled, and Bakari not arriving until August, JoeT seems to have more opportunity to make some summer strides going into the fall. Looking forward to seeing the fruits of his labors.

Interesting observations. It must be said that for JoeT and CJ this is all enticing potential, and for Bakari, JB, and now Connor, it’s conditional on their health.

Currently, with JB and Connor hobbled, and Bakari not arriving until August, JoeT seems to have more opportunity to make some summer strides going into the fall. Looking forward to seeing the fruits of his labors.

Connor is back playing this week. Bakari should be on campus in a week or 2.

Talked to a friend of Cordell who said CJF and Joe T have been balling in summer workouts. His quote “ FRedrick is the truth”

gif-dude-yes-supernatural.gif

Me too....seems like a tough kid.... if he’s half of what Fran is saying we should be good

Bakari is in town now. But Joe T has had a head start. Being that he has been in town since early June.

With Connor healthy and playing now. There should be some great battles going on in practice.

ADVERTISEMENT