ADVERTISEMENT

Joe Toussaint?

taHawkeyes

Team MVP
Jan 28, 2016
Saw that he posted a picture on instagram last night late, and he said: “the journey is always the best part.” ... then I saw that he deleted everything that had to do with Iowa on his timeline for twitter and Instagram. Something seems a little off here.. maybe he is no longer a Hawkeye?

Reactions: JEDN
Saw that he posted a picture on instagram last night late, and he said: “the journey is always the best part.” ... then I saw that he deleted everything that had to do with Iowa on his timeline for twitter and Instagram. Something seems a little off here.. maybe he is no longer a Hawkeye?

I still see his tweet about committing to the Hawks???

Reactions: hawkfan1963

I still see his tweet about committing to the Hawks???
You’re right, I do see that. Just think it’s odd how he removed it from his bio.

On a related note, did anybody see that the Bryan Greenlee dude committed to Minnesota in mid-June? We had offered him and he planned a visit but JoeT committed before we got him on campus. Minnesota is a decent program, so the dude must not be a complete scrub. I feel like JoeT was the better prospect but it will be interesting to see who ends up better.

This is why creeping on kids (who you don’t know personally) via social media is not the best of ideas.

Also, running to share it on a public message board with a spin of potential negativity is basically doubling down on a not so great hand.

I get that it’s summer and there’s not much to talk about, but this is not the way to overcome your boredom.

I hope not. The two players I was most excited to see match up in the 2019 Class between Iowa and ISU were JoeT and Tre Jackson. It will be a fun match up for 4 years if they both stick around.

Garza and Kreiner looking like full sized Big players now. I think that's going to be a great combo for us this year. Sweet assist by Joe T.

I think this team has two legit stars in Garza and Wieskamp. Not counting on Bohannon next year, but if the rest of the guys fill their role, I think this is an NCAA team.

Reactions: Sheahawk and easy2
Garza and Kreiner looking like full sized Big players now. I think that's going to be a great combo for us this year. Sweet assist by Joe T.

I think this team has two legit stars in Garza and Wieskamp. Not counting on Bohannon next year, but if the rest of the guys fill their role, I think this is an NCAA team.

Wieskamp and Garza are stars for sure, but "If the rest of the guys fill their role" is a pretty big if. This could be an NCAA team, but there are a lot of unknowns at this point: Joe T., Evelyn, Fredrick, Patrick are all newcomers, plus Nunge and Pemsl coming off mid-career redshirts. With Bohannon likely out, we're looking at replacing three starters — and only four players from last year's tournament team will be back: Wieskamp, Garza, Kriener and Connor.

Right now, with the tough schedule, this looks like an NIT team. If we get breakout seasons from a couple guys, the NCAAs are a realistic possibility.

IMO the likeliest breakout player is Nunge, followed by Fredrick. The guy we most need to be a surprise star is Toussaint.

Wieskamp and Garza are stars for sure, but "If the rest of the guys fill their role" is a pretty big if. This could be an NCAA team, but there are a lot of unknowns at this point: Joe T., Evelyn, Fredrick, Patrick are all newcomers, plus Nunge and Pemsl coming off mid-career redshirts. With Bohannon likely out, we're looking at replacing three starters — and only four players from last year's tournament team will be back: Wieskamp, Garza, Kriener and Connor.

Right now, with the tough schedule, this looks like an NIT team. If we get breakout seasons from a couple guys, the NCAAs are a realistic possibility.

IMO the likeliest breakout player is Nunge, followed by Fredrick. The guy we most need to be a surprise star is Toussaint.
Is Bohannon likely out or is that your speculation? Not trying to be an ass, just wondering if I missed an update

Reactions: jasonrann
Is Bohannon likely out or is that your speculation? Not trying to be an ass, just wondering if I missed an update

Based on everything I have read, I think it is safe to say right now that the plan is for him to RS this year. They have been pretty conservative when discussing his prognosis. I think the only way he comes back this year is if he feels like he is 100%. He has said that he has played with some sort of injury each of the past three seasons and it's affected his play. I think we have the horses even without him, but I tend to be more of an optimist than some.

If Bohannon sits out this year, is there any reason why Joe T isnt the starting PG? Not sure I see how he doesn't come in and take over that spot right away.

If Bohannon sits out this year, is there any reason why Joe T isnt the starting PG? Not sure I see how he doesn't come in and take over that spot right away.

I will throw my two cents in on this. I think Connor is the starter on day one with Joe T being the primary backup. I suspect Evelyn will play a few minutes at point, but largely be backing up Fredrick at the #2. I think Fran will try to ease Joe in before fully submersing him. That said, it would not surprise me at all if Joe is starting by the time B10 season rolls around. He is exactly the type of guard we have all been missing and wanting. He’s a knee buckler and he is going to create havoc when he gets by his man. I am really excited about him.

Defense should be better. Hopefully that offsets the loss of Moss, Cook and JBo on the offensive side.

I will throw my two cents in on this. I think Connor is the starter on day one with Joe T being the primary backup. I suspect Evelyn will play a few minutes at point, but largely be backing up Fredrick at the #2. I think Fran will try to ease Joe in before fully submersing him. That said, it would not surprise me at all if Joe is starting by the time B10 season rolls around. He is exactly the type of guard we have all been missing and wanting. He’s a knee buckler and he is going to create havoc when he gets by his man. I am really excited about him.

I agree that Connor will probably start at PG to begin with. We're going to see a lot of roster experimentation early on while Fran figures out his best starting five. I think Pemsl gets the nod at PF at first, but I'm 50/50 on whether Evelyn or Fredrick starts at SG. I like Fredrick's potential but Evelyn was brought in for a reason.

If Joe T. takes over the starting job by December, that'll be a great sign for this team.

I agree that Connor will probably start at PG to begin with. We're going to see a lot of roster experimentation early on while Fran figures out his best starting five. I think Pemsl gets the nod at PF at first, but I'm 50/50 on whether Evelyn or Fredrick starts at SG. I like Fredrick's potential but Evelyn was brought in for a reason.

If Joe T. takes over the starting job by December, that'll be a great sign for this team.

Given what Fran has said about Fredrick, I suspect he is the starter at the #2 to start the season. He sounds like a real baller. As is the case with Connor/Joe T, if we are in a situation where Evelyn is good enough to challenge for the starting spot, that is a good problem to have.

Reactions: Ballhawk1221
Given what Fran has said about Fredrick, I suspect he is the starter at the #2 to start the season. He sounds like a real baller. As is the case with Connor/Joe T, if we are in a situation where Evelyn is good enough to challenge for the starting spot, that is a good problem to have.

You could be right. Like I said, I'm 50/50. Both of these guys are question marks. If both of them are good enough to challenge for a starting spot, that's good news for Iowa.

The argument for starting Evelyn is that he's already been a starter at the college level, while Fredrick hasn't played a game of D-1 ball yet. Early on, Fran may lean on his veterans. Plus he felt the need to bring in a grad transfer for the first time ever, and as Fran has said, if you bring in a GT you have to play him. Evelyn might also be the better defender of the two, and if he's a respectable 3pt shooter (like he was as a soph) he could be the better complement to Connor.

The argument for starting Fredrick is that he has more upside, and he's already spent a redshirt season learning the system and practicing with the team. Plus apparently Evelyn isn't even on campus yet. From the sound of things he's a good 3pt shooter, and if Connor is the starter it will be critical to pair him with a good shooter. And CJ has four years of eligibility, so getting him experience will pay dividends down the road.

But hell, who knows? Fran might go with Wieskamp at SG and Patrick at SF.

Based on everything I have read, I think it is safe to say right now that the plan is for him to RS this year. They have been pretty conservative when discussing his prognosis. I think the only way he comes back this year is if he feels like he is 100%. He has said that he has played with some sort of injury each of the past three seasons and it's affected his play. I think we have the horses even without him, but I tend to be more of an optimist than some.
Much appreciated man

I wish Cook were still there for the dump off dunks.
It would have been fun to watch.

Jason nailed it. Just speculation based off of what's been said. And since we got Bakari Evelyn, there's less pressure on JBo to return ASAP.

Reactions: unoHawkeye
I think the biggest competition might be between Evelyn and CJ at the two. I hope they both play a lot. I haven't seen anything posted about Nunge, who I believe will be one of the keys to how good this team will be. I hope he gets most of the minutes at the 4, because I think Pemsl, while valuable, is very limited. I also hope that JoeT is good enough to at least earn as many minutes as CMac at PG. I think PMac is the one possible redshirt, although I doubt it. I hope he is ready to play when JoeW is getting a blow. Finally, Luka needs to prove he is more than just a very good offensive center.

Lots of unproven parts, and the team could be anywhere from very good to very mediocre.

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
Jason nailed it. Just speculation based off of what's been said. And since we got Bakari Evelyn, there's less pressure on JBo to return ASAP.
Agreed. As I said in the Bohannon thread I started, this might be best case scenario. Could still have a tournament team this year, but I’m expecting a lot of ups and downs with a lot players (re-)breaking in.

Next year could be awesome if the roster holds though

You could be right. Like I said, I'm 50/50. Both of these guys are question marks. If both of them are good enough to challenge for a starting spot, that's good news for Iowa.

The argument for starting Evelyn is that he's already been a starter at the college level, while Fredrick hasn't played a game of D-1 ball yet. Early on, Fran may lean on his veterans. Plus he felt the need to bring in a grad transfer for the first time ever, and as Fran has said, if you bring in a GT you have to play him. Evelyn might also be the better defender of the two, and if he's a respectable 3pt shooter (like he was as a soph) he could be the better complement to Connor.

The argument for starting Fredrick is that he has more upside, and he's already spent a redshirt season learning the system and practicing with the team. Plus apparently Evelyn isn't even on campus yet. From the sound of things he's a good 3pt shooter, and if Connor is the starter it will be critical to pair him with a good shooter. And CJ has four years of eligibility, so getting him experience will pay dividends down the road.

But hell, who knows? Fran might go with Wieskamp at SG and Patrick at SF.

I realize we haven’t seen Fredrick play yet, but my assumption was that he is the better shooter between he and Evelyn. If memory serves, he shot over 48% from three his senior season. I also cannot help but think that part of Moss leaving was the prospect of even less playing time with more guards on the roster. That is pure speculation, but I think it was clear that an “expanded role” was not in the cards.

What I am hoping for most from Evelyn and Joe T is (1) Quickness. The type of quickness we have not had on the roster in a long time. (2) Good handles. Anything beyond those things would be a bonus. They should help our defense with their quickness. While turnovers were not particularly heinous last season, there were still games where we were very sloppy with the ball, bad passes, dribbling into traffic, off of feet, etc. Hopefully, they make the game easier for everyone else.

I’d guess we see a bunch of minutes for the new kids early on and I’d include Cordell and Nunge in that group. If score dictates Joe W , Garza, Kriener, and Conner are needed to ensure the W of course they play more.

There will be some minute battles going on for sure. Conner vs. Joe T and CJ vs. PMac are the ones that interest me most. I know a lot of posters are leaning towards Evelyn getting the starting nod, but I see him being a steadying force coming off the bench at either guard spot.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT