ADVERTISEMENT

Joel Klatt on Brian Ferentz contract

I kinda wonder if in the first 3 games if Iowa only averages 17 pts or less, do the wheels come off for the rest of the season? I think they have to rely on some heavy scoring the first 3 to make make sure the average is met.
If Iowa is actually able to run up the score on anyone, will they? It will be obvious when they would normally go into turtle mode you have Cade chucking bombs.

Have you seen whats going on with the Iowa beat writers and Iowa podcasts. I think you need to settle in at your basement.
Joel Klatt has nothing to do with Iowa sports. I don't give a rats ass what his opinion is about the contract.
It is between Barta and Brian. His opinion means nothing. People need to stop getting worked up over things they have no control over.
Great recruiting tool. Come to Iowa we have high standards, 7 and 6 and also
have to be in the top 85 on offense.
Klatt is making A layup here, low hanging fruit. BUT. Klatt is a real douchebag and just grabs any controversy to get his ugly face out there and ring up some hits. I’ve seen him do this with several other programs/issues. He just piles on whatever the popular take is. Skip Bayless Jr.
Sorry but Klatt is mild coparared to other shows.
Joel Klatt has nothing to do with Iowa sports. I don't give a rats ass what his opinion is about the contract.
It is between Barta and Brian. His opinion means nothing. People need to stop getting worked up over things they have no control over.
Wow, what incite. Thanks, but Kirk might a little input.
K. How does this change a thing for 2023 season?
More throwing bombs late in the game, starters stay in or get their ass kicked, along with a two point thrown in here or there. Best bets all year. Take the over when they play scrubs.
I'm not embarrassed. If you are get a life away from Iowa football.
Im thinking about it. Go Buckeyes !!!

Thanks for sharing the video.

Think about it with common sense would you really give a rats ass if this same BF thing was happening at some other school? I would not at all.

All these stories which may be true to some extent are just to sell hits & subscriptions to Iowa fans. And it is a nice 1 min talking point during games which involve Iowa.

No one hardly cares except us Iowa fans period!

Over 182 million individuals across all 50 states have a favorite college team or teams that they follow regularly, with 65.5% of the teen and adult population (age 12 and older) identifying as college sports fans. You think even 10% of them care, probably closer to less than 1%. So I am not falling for the drama that we are a National laughing stock.

Move on. It is what it is. Us arguing constantly about it between ourselves isn't going to change anything at Iowa.

Think about it with common sense would you really give a rats ass if this same BF thing was happening at some other school? I would not at all.

All these stories which may be true to some extent are just to sell hits & subscriptions to Iowa fans. And it is a nice 1 min talking point during games which involve Iowa.

Over 182 million individuals across all 50 states have a favorite college team or teams that they follow regularly, with 65.5% of the teen and adult population (age 12 and older) identifying as college sports fans. You think even 10% of them care, probably closer to less than 1%. So I am not falling for the drama that we are a National laughing stock.

Move on. It is what it is. Us arguing constantly about it between ourselves isn't going to change anything at Iowa.
It may not affect Iowa's TV ratings, but this definitely affects the future success of the program through recruiting. Coaching affects the play on the field as well. You've already intimated that you don't give a rats ass about the product on the field, so it doesn't surprise or impress anyone that you didn't think about it through the prism of a true fan.

And college football fans definitely notice news about Iowa like this and pay attention. I've heard about it twice from non-fans I was BSing in airports with. Fans talk all the time about the collective situations at Texas A&M and Florida, and why the NCAA sucks based on which news story of the month. It all shapes perceptions and creates storylines that we all love.

I lasted 4 minutes. Cliff notes please.
Joel made a number of reasonable and thoughtful points as to how the contract clause about 25 points a game is a disservice to the entire team and has an expiration date. Joel has had a lot of exposure to Iowa games and could speak to whatever he wants in college football.
I agree with most of it and wish the B Ferentz era was over. Just get a real OC.

This is starting to feel like the situation when they announced Tom Davis would not have his contract renewed, but would coach one more year. Not in the sense that Brian will only last one more year (although that is possible), but more in the sense that it is a convoluted arrangement invented by administrators who are hand-tied from doing the thing they really want to do (or are too scared to do it).
This has always felt like the situation where the vocal minority, seems to think they speak for everyone. That’s simply not true.
I love that people like you truly think you know what the administration really wants to do, but they can’t, because fat cat Kirk won’t let them. Of course this is just my humble opinion, so nobody can comment on it. This is going to be a fun year!

If Iowa is actually able to run up the score on anyone, will they? It will be obvious when they would normally go into turtle mode you have Cade chucking bombs.
Or what if we try to run up the score and it backfires and a team comes back and beats us or nearly beats us? The whole narrative would be that KF is risking winning to save his son.

Have you seen whats going on with the Iowa beat writers and Iowa podcasts. I think you need to settle in at your basement.

Great recruiting tool. Come to Iowa we have high standards, 7 and 6 and also
have to be in the top 85 on offense.

Sorry but Klatt is mild coparared to other shows.

Wow, what incite. Thanks, but Kirk might a little input.

More throwing bombs late in the game, starters stay in or get their ass kicked, along with a two point thrown in here or there. Best bets all year. Take the over when they play scrubs.

Im thinking about it. Go Buckeyes !!!
We have some incredibly stupid fans.

Enjoy the Buckeyes.

Reactions: chuck285
Joel made a number of reasonable and thoughtful points as to how the contract clause about 25 points a game is a disservice to the entire team and has an expiration date. Joel has had a lot of exposure to Iowa games and could speak to whatever he wants in college football.
I agree with most of it and wish the B Ferentz era was over. Just get a real OC.
Correct. Nothing Klatt said was wrong or inflammatory. The usual suspects marching with the butthurt brigade are hilarious.

No matter what your level of interest is in Iowa, the contract amendment is a f@&ing joke. That’s not really conjecture. It’s obvious to anyone with a lick of common sense.

Like I said before, this is special education for Tommy Boy. What a cute IEP Gary came up with for him.

I still think they hit roughly 35 points they back off. Right around that number I think is where they would let off if ahead by a safe margin.

Like getting worked up over message board opinions that you can't control? Got it, solid work......
If you don't care what these talking heads are saying, fine. But the kids that are playing for IOwa or getting recruited by Iowa hear these things and yes, It does get into there heads. Like it or not, this contract thing should have never have happened.

This has always felt like the situation where the vocal minority, seems to think they speak for everyone. That’s simply not true.
I love that people like you truly think you know what the administration really wants to do, but they can’t, because fat cat Kirk won’t let them. Of course this is just my humble opinion, so nobody can comment on it. This is going to be a fun year!
Just theorizing. Sharing a feeling. I could be wrong. It’s happened a time or two before.

Not sure where I implied that I was speaking for everyone.

If you don't care what these talking heads are saying, fine. But the kids that are playing for IOwa or getting recruited by Iowa hear these things and yes, It does get into there heads. Like it or not, this contract thing should have never have happened.
You may want to read the post that I responded to so you understand the context.
I don’t disagree with you on this subject and I think the incessant complaining is silly.
The contract? Let’s say that just when you think they can’t screw it up more they do this.

And I bet not. If Iowa goes 9 - 3 or better no one is getting fired.
Which wouldn’t surprise me if we ride the D and ST to a record like that and we still keep Fredo around. Then more bad PR for barta, Ferentz’s and Iowa come this time again next off season after we come up with the idiotic contract and then don’t enforce it. Which I’m sure many like me won’t be surprised if KF and barta find some loophole to keep him around if he doesn’t hit his marks.

Last edited:
Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
I still think they hit roughly 35 points they back off. Right around that number I think is where they would let off if ahead by a safe margin.
Except when they play Purdue, 24 is plenty. Got it. I was in the crowd when we found out no coaching changes were being made and we have Brian so what can we do about it? We can root for him to succeed and hope the Hawks win every game, but when they showed these number additions to the contract…wtf. It’s just stupid.

Absolutely. Keeping a bottom-tier coordinator on staff at a big-time institution due to nepotism is a huge deal.

Your second in bold is not even remotely true; ESPN writers were all over this Ferentz contract drama, with it being pretty much front-and-center on the ESPN college football page.

Which wouldn’t surprise me if we ride the D and ST to a record like that and we still keep Fredo around. Then more bad PR for barta, Ferentz’s and Iowa come this time again next off season after we come up with the idiotic contract and then don’t enforce it. Which I’m sure many like me won’t be surprised if KF and barta find some loophole to keep him around if he doesn’t hit his marks.
That’s exactly what’s going to happen.

Even if Brian (with a big assist from Phil of course) hits his mark and finishes at 25 ppg - which will likely rank in the 80s throughout all of football - the defense and special teams will deserve the praise for achieving 9+ wins.

Having a goal to be about the 80th-ranked offensive team is just terrible. You don’t “pat a guy on the back” for meeting these specific contract requirements…

I'm sure several on here will hate on Klatt for this but I thought he broke it down very well.
I suspect this contract was mandated by the U of I President Wilson. She inherited this mess. The Nepotism and the way is was skirted by Brian reporting to Barta probably has her upset.

Except when they play Purdue, 24 is plenty. Got it. I was in the crowd when we found out no coaching changes were being made and we have Brian so what can we do about it? We can root for him to succeed and hope the Hawks win every game, but when they showed these number additions to the contract…wtf. It’s just stupid.
We are talking 2023 here with Cade.

Reactions: Bishop1971
I suspect this contract was mandated by the U of I President Wilson. She inherited this mess. The Nepotism and the way is was skirted by Brian reporting to Barta probably has her upset.
She is new. Why wouldn't she just tell Bar to get ride of him? Perfect time to clean house.

That’s exactly what’s going to happen.

Even if Brian (with a big assist from Phil of course) hits his mark and finishes at 25 ppg - which will likely rank in the 80s throughout all of football - the defense and special teams will deserve the praise for achieving 9+ wins.

Having a goal to be about the 80th-ranked offensive team is just terrible. You don’t “pat a guy on the back” for meeting these specific contract requirements…
We know. We can go 12 - 0 and there will still be something not good enough to generate endless threads about.

You don’t think that it will affect the way they approach things in those first 3 games, when 7 wins isn’t yet a lock? We shall see…
@ Iowa State and @ Penn State will tell us very quickly what we got. I don't see Cade peeing his pants in those kind of big game away environments.

Spencer and Alex both had the damn jitters so bad.

Reactions: Bishop1971
We know. We can go 12 - 0 and there will still be something not good enough to generate endless threads about.
If we finish 12-0 but Brian’s offense needs 10-20% of all points scored to be from the Defense/ST to meet the mark of 25ppg, he should still definitely be fired.

20% of our points last year were from the D/ST. 20%

If we finish 12-0 but Brian’s offense needs 10-20% of all points scored to be from the Defense/ST to meet the mark of 25ppg, he should still definitely be fired.

Which is insane when klatt said that and next closest team last year had their D account for only 10% of their teams points. To drive home this stat even more our D scored 24% of our tds (6 of the 25).

Which is insane when klatt said that and next closest team last year had their D account for only 10% of their teams points. To drive home this stat even more our D scored 24% of our tds (6 of the 25).
This entire BF contract is BS! He never should have been retained. Kirk knows that. Barta knows that. It is embarassing for Iowa football and they both know it but couldn't care less. I hope this all fails and we move on from the BF experience. We are the laughing joke of College football and Kirk has put us there.

Reactions: iahawkeyes17
We are talking 2023 here with Cade.
That makes no sense and you are side stepping here. Last year when they played Purdue Kirk figured they had enough to win at 24 and went in to turtle mode. I am good with that. You are telling me this year it will be 35 because we have Cade and not because Bri needs some points? Ok.🙄

That makes no sense and you are side stepping here. Last year when they played Purdue Kirk figured they had enough to win at 24 and went in to turtle mode. I am good with that. You are telling me this year it will be 35 because we have Cade and not because Bri needs some points? Ok.🙄
Won't that make you happy though? You all want more points so Kirk just gives you some more? Kirk typically doesn't like sticking another team's faces in the dirt when victory is basically at hand, but to now satisfy you all on these free message forums he is gonna throw up some more points just for you!

What if they average 32 per game but the team goes 8 - 4.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT