ADVERTISEMENT

John Calipari to Arkansas

I imagine a big-time booster ( or a group of them) told John that it would be in his best interest to find something because they were going to fire him if he didn't move on.

Going from Kentucky to Arkansas is a HUGE step backward no matter how he tries to spin this move at the introductory press conference.

I imagine a big-time booster ( or a group of them) told John that it would be in his best interest to find something because they were going to fire him if he didn't move on.

Going from Kentucky to Arkansas is a HUGE step backward no matter how he tries to spin this move at the introductory press conference.
That’s the business. I’m guessing by now, he was just as eager to move on as they were to get rid of him. He has all the money he needs so that’s not an issue. Sometimes a fresh start is all you want. Not a bad get for Arkansas as he’s a definite “2 year plan” guy.

They would have had to pay him $33M if they had fired him. I would have called their bluff.

I would have agreed until Jimbo got 75 to go away. It is no longer out of the realm of possibility, a motivated group of boosters will come up with money, and maybe Calipari didn't want to have fired on his resume.

I would have agreed until Jimbo got 75 to go away. It is no longer out of the realm of possibility, a motivated group of boosters will come up with money, and maybe Calipari didn't want to have fired on his resume.
For the record, if any school wants to pay me $33M to not coach their basketball team, I will gladly oblige them. For an extra $2M, I won’t even watch their games.

Leaving the state whose motto is “Honey, get off me, you’re crushun’ my cigarettes!” and moving to a state where the governor just signed an emergency decree warning its citizens of the danger of the oendungvsokar eclipse…. You think that’s a step backwards? Hell the Governor is just using the science available to her to protect her residents!

It is harder to recruit to NE Arkansas than to Lexington, but Arkansas has mega donors, great facilities, a history of winning, and passionate fans. As I posted in the Lounge, I think Arkansas could have done better.

John Calipari is 65 years old. He has more miles behind him,
than he does ahead of him. He should just ride into the sunset.
His ability to recruit one and done players is no longer the key
to National Championships. Thanks for the Memories, John.

That ability only ever won him one title. Possibly the most overrated coach of the last 30 years.

Fran to Kentucky?
The Nanny Lol GIF by Max

Reactions: Thunderlips71
People like him have to be looked at. He doesn’t care about money, he wants to be seen. Notice he is with every single draft pick on tv when they are picked. He’s a narcissist.

There is some interesting rumoring coming out about UK telling Calipari they weren't going to fire him, but they told him they'd clamp down on his ability to funnel NIL money, effectively crippling him. And, one of the Tyson heirs supposedly is pals with Calipari, and he told UA he'd blank check Calipari's hiring and NIL efforts.

It is harder to recruit to NE Arkansas than to Lexington, but Arkansas has mega donors, great facilities, a history of winning, and passionate fans. As I posted in the Lounge, I think Arkansas could have done better.
Arkansas is a good job. It’s been awhile but growing up and into my 30s they were a really good program.

Reactions: Greenway4Prez
Tyson money. JB Hunt money. The family behind Reynolds Wrap have made large donations, including the naming rights to the football stadium. All of those fortunes are dwarfed by the Walton money coursing through NW Arkansas and UA.
I'm just waiting for all 6 of his 2024 recruits to decide Fayetteville is where they want to spend 1-2 years.

Reactions: TennNole17
There is some interesting rumoring coming out about UK telling Calipari they weren't going to fire him, but they told him they'd clamp down on his ability to funnel NIL money, effectively crippling him. And, one of the Tyson heirs supposedly is pals with Calipari, and he told UA he'd blank check Calipari's hiring and NIL efforts.
That’s an interesting strategy by UK.

“We’re not happy with your success rate in recent years, so we’re going to make it even more difficult for you to succeed.”

Reactions: lucas80
That’s an interesting strategy by UK.

“We’re not happy with your success rate in recent years, so we’re going to make it even more difficult for you to succeed.”
If true it should also give the replacement coach second thoughts. But, programs and boosters like UK have enough hubris to do stuff like this.

I'm not sure how well thought out this was from UK's perspective. It sounds like Billy Donovan, Dan Hurley, and Scott Drew all said no. I heard some comments from Donovan on the Score and he didn't sound interested at all in returning to college basketball. UK now appears to be closing in on a very underwhelming Mark Pope as their new coach. He checks the warm and fuzzy box as a former UK player on a national title team, but he's been very mediocre at BYU. I suppose with some squinting his tenure looks better.

I'm not sure how well thought out this was from UK's perspective. It sounds like Billy Donovan, Dan Hurley, and Scott Drew all said no. I heard some comments from Donovan on the Score and he didn't sound interested at all in returning to college basketball. UK now appears to be closing in on a very underwhelming Mark Pope as their new coach. He checks the warm and fuzzy box as a former UK player on a national title team, but he's been very mediocre at BYU. I suppose with some squinting his tenure looks better.

Reactions: TennNole17
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT