ADVERTISEMENT

John Deere announces layoffs

That is the right attitude!

I learned a lot of valuable stuff in my short time there that I have applied to subsequent jobs.

My dad worked for Deere for like 27 years! Times are different now.

I've worked there 15. I'm perfectly happy to stay. I have a deep respect for my boss and the people I work with. But we aren't there to be buddies.

Reactions: torbee
I feel bad for those who got laid off. But the political bickering in this thread misses the point.

When you work for a publicly-traded company (such as Deere), you don't work for the company or its customers, first and foremost. You work for the shareholders. The primary charter of executives is shareholder value. Now, there are plenty of ways in which customer obsession, and treating employees well can impact results, thereby impacting the stock price. But in the short run, executives of these companies are ruthlessly focused on the share price.

I'll counter that the blue collar employees Deere employ are way over paid. Maybe if they accepted a fair salary for a fair days work, layoffs wouldn't be as frequent or severe.
How much do they make that you consider them overpaid?

How many layoffs and strikes does a John Deere employee have to go through during their time working for the company.

I swear they are either hiring, on strike or laying off employees every other day.
The union is responsible for all of this, if I was in charge of JD I would be moving 100% of the manufacturing to Mexico, if they have enough workers left down there to hire.

How many layoffs and strikes does a John Deere employee have to go through during their time working for the company.

I swear they are either hiring, on strike or laying off employees every other day.
Seems like only yesterday they were having job fairs in Waterloo begging for workers.

Tractors are so massively expensive I guess wild swings in demand is to be expected.

Corn has dropped over 35% the last year
Soybeans same deal
3 straight years of record farm net income was great for Deere.
Party over.

Reactions: TunzaHawk

It's a good market to search for a new job. That's what I would recommend.

Seems like only yesterday they were having job fairs in Waterloo begging for workers.

Tractors are so massively expensive I guess wild swings in demand is to be expected.
About 1.3 million for the new 830 9rx. That’s a staggering number to me.

The union is responsible for all of this, if I was in charge of JD I would be moving 100% of the manufacturing to Mexico, if they have enough workers left down there to hire.
Every time you post I am amazed at how stupid you are. You have no idea about business.
Thank you for pointing out that you know nothing about the situation going on at Waterloo John Deere plant. Good job!
Rico is an idiot and that's being kind.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT