ADVERTISEMENT

John Nestor

I wonder what the plan is for him in the secondary. Going to be running a bit low on experience after Coop, Castro, and Schulte leave.

X needs to start showing up a bit more. I haven't been all that impressed with his overall speed either.
Isn't the primary job of the FS to ensure that there aren't any big plays? Iowa is number one in the country in yards allowed per pass completed and number 2 in the country in yards allowed per attempt. PFF gives him the 32nd highest score out of 859 safeties. I think that all speaks pretty well of the job he's done in his first year starting at that spot.

Last edited:
holiday special GIF by Warner Archive

Possible nickname?

Isn't the primary job of the FS to ensure that there aren't any big plays? Iowa is number one in the country in yards allowed per pass completed and number 2 in the country in yards allowed per attempt. PFF gives him the 32nd highest score out of 859 safeties. I think that all speaks pretty well of the job he's done in his first year starting at that spot.
Exactly. A DB who isn't noticed much must be doing something right, just by the fact that he isn't getting torched down the field....

Reactions: Torg and cmhawks99
Nestor's father is on the football staff at Chicago powerhouse Mt Carmel.
This is probably not lost on Kirk and Phil.
CBS crew Friday morning: “Well, we didn’t see this one coming. #7 is under center(every Iowa fan dies of PTSD arrest)?….John….Nestor?”

He has the length and covers alot of ground but would be nice to see some star type plays.
I havent seen the ball thrown around him/X much. He made that great INT against UTahSt and maybe opposing qbs are told to not throw it long his way.

He is the safety and safeties can take a chance with quicker pass rush

While he hasn't made the big plays, he really isn't out of position either.
I think he is going a bit unnoticed because he is basically doing his job well. I would also bet a fair amount of our sacks would be thought of as coverage sacks. The DBs have been playing really well the last 4 or 5 games. And he had been dealing with the hand issue as well.

While he hasn't made the big plays, he really isn't out of position either.
X got abused vs PSU. However, apart from that, he's improved. He's been "doing his job." With a full season of starts under his belt ... and the confidence/comfort that comes with that ... I think that we'll see him take some further strides in his develop as we look to next season.

Reactions: kceasthawk
X needs to start showing up a bit more. I haven't been all that impressed with his overall speed either.
I actually had the same critique of Merriweather the last couple of years. I think X is almost at the same level as Merriweather as a Sr. I expect a big jump from him.

Would X be better at SS? He is stronger than Quinn and would be in a position to be more visible. Quinn had a few plays that were rough against the WI rb Allen in the 2nd half. X would have tackled better in that situation IMO.

He (Nestor) stood out to me on a couple of plays this year. I wasn't sure who #7 was but looked it up because I was impressed with his play.

I see Nestor is on the depth chart for Nebraska, a first for him I believe.

He's going to be a guy we will be seeing a lot of in the near future.

Jermari Harris from today talks Tennessee QB Nico Iamaleava, maybe returning for a sixth year, and John Nestor, who clearly is making some good impressions.

Reactions: Torg
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT