ADVERTISEMENT

John Rahm enters the Portal….

Pro golfer reportedly entered the LIV golf world today for a (minimal) 3 years for a guaranteed $300M!

Generational money!
Truly, there is no money like oil money….
And rahm can be a prickly guy. I could see him thinking he’s just gonna play in a more relaxed world with better ability to limit assholes’ access

I just post the facts the PGA is a toothless shell of its former self.

LIV is the hip new game in town.
The PGA has definitely taken a hit and is probably past its peak forever.

LIV is a horrendous entertainment product.

All this stuff has done is push professional golf further into niche territory and pretty soon, it’ll be like F1 or NASCAR, where everyone pretends to care for the Master’s then goes away for the rest of the year.

All this stuff has done is push professional golf further into niche territory and pretty soon, it’ll be like F1 or NASCAR, where everyone pretends to care for the Master’s then goes away for the rest of the year.
The vibe I get watching LIV is the celebrity golf tournament at Lake Tahoe. It’s not serious.

I tried to get into Yellowstone but couldn't.

The youngest son killing half a dozen people in the first few episodes by being in the wrong place at the wrong time was weird.

Saudis also made some overtures into professional cycling. Didn’t really go anywhere but I doubt they are done.

Saudis also made some overtures into professional cycling. Didn’t really go anywhere but I doubt they are done.
And they were throwing around mad cash to try to acquire soccer players.

I am glad liverpool held strong and refused the saudis offers for Salah. When the next transfer window opens i dont know if they could resist stupid ridiculous money for a player in his early 30s

And they were throwing around mad cash to try to acquire soccer players.

I am glad liverpool held strong and refused the saudis offers for Salah. When the next transfer window opens i dont know if they could resist stupid ridiculous money for a player in his early 30s
They are trying to spend/bribe their way to broad acceptance of their horrible society.

Seems impossible but they have what seems trillions of dollars to throw around. Their financial mistakes could be a few billion and it’s little normal people tipping over a soda.

The vibe I get watching LIV is the celebrity golf tournament at Lake Tahoe. It’s not serious.
yeah, i just cannot imagine being a professional trying to play golf with techno throbbing in the background. hell, i chewed a guy in my own foursome out once for turning on a radio in his cart.

They are trying to spend/bribe their way to broad acceptance of their horrible society.

Seems impossible but they have what seems trillions of dollars to throw around. Their financial mistakes could be a few billion and it’s little normal people tipping over a soda.
honestly, i'm not sure that's the primary driver, though it's certainly a driver. professional sports are a wonderful license to print money. most mid east countries see the long term writing on the wall with respect to nondiversified economies, and have had a hard time creating the mid east version of London or NY or Hong Kong in terms of a financial hub. people world wide love their bread and circuses, and it's an almost completely unregulated industry.

Yeah I’m over golf….hate the Saudis and LIV and now I hate the PGA for selling out to them.

Breach brotha.

Tw2POv.gif

honestly, i'm not sure that's the primary driver, though it's certainly a driver. professional sports are a wonderful license to print money. most mid east countries see the long term writing on the wall with respect to nondiversified economies, and have had a hard time creating the mid east version of London or NY or Hong Kong in terms of a financial hub. people world wide love their bread and circuses, and it's an almost completely unregulated industry.
I just can’t see golf being that profitable. Not with the money they are tossing around.

It might be as simple as trying to impress other Arabs. From what I read they pay millions to have license plate numbers on their cars that are low.

And rahm can be a prickly guy. I could see him thinking he’s just gonna play in a more relaxed world with better ability to limit assholes’ access
Understand, but Aardvark...if someone offers you that kind of money, you telling me you would say “No thanks!”
That is money that will set you and yours up several generations. I have always been “wary” of Arabs and their ethics (I had a family friend who was a POW in WW2...his plane went down in N Africa in ‘43 where he was picked up by a tribe of Arabs and they were taking him to the Allied lines until they ran into a Nazi patrol and turned him over to them for a pack of American cigarettes..the family friend spent the next year and a half in German POW camps)..Arabs don’t have th3 same moral/ethical code as me but they do understand how to play the game...$$$.

I just can’t see golf being that profitable. Not with the money they are tossing around.

It might be as simple as trying to impress other Arabs. From what I read they pay millions to have license plate numbers on their cars that are low.
Content is king, and golf provides it year round. And that's before you factor in the value of the equipment market, which is probably about 7.5B a year and for which visibility at pro events is a massive marketing tactics. the value's there, even if the liv production values to date don't seem like they're particularly good at capturing it yet.

interestingly, BTW, some of the stuff that some of the arabs are doing has another purpose that most americans don't even realize. The emirati are among the most obese people in the world because they are wealthy, genetically nomadic, and have become exposed to western diets. Some of their more forward thinking leaders are actualy investing in sports as a way to tell their people that it's ok to get up off their asses. (When my wife was a nurse in DC, they'd occasionally get saudi royal family patients in the hospital on a special floor, who would literally have a team of servants to move them out of their chair or scratch their back when necessary)

Understand, but Aardvark...if someone offers you that kind of money, you telling me you would say “No thanks!”
That is money that will set you and yours up several generations. I have always been “wary” of Arabs and their ethics (I had a family friend who was a POW in WW2...his plane went down in N Africa in ‘43 where he was picked up by a tribe of Arabs and they were taking him to the Allied lines until they ran into a Nazi patrol and turned him over to them for a pack of American cigarettes..the family friend spent the next year and a half in German POW camps)..Arabs don’t have th3 same moral/ethical code as me but they do understand how to play the game...$$$.
oh hell yeah i'd take it...in cash and up front. Reminds me of a law school hypo where i was arguing market standards and ethics applied to dictate a particular result, and the professor changed the hypothetical to one involving the sale of a persian rug.

It’s a brave new world out there today. I will watch golf on TV but only because I play the game and have done so for nearly 65 years....the game I see on TV today has very little resemblance to the game I learned. The money today is huge...larger than the distances of Rory’ drives! (The USGA/R&A had a chance back in the early 70’s to truly regulate the game but they know-towed to the golf ball manufacturers and now it’s “Katy bar the door” with distance being the primary determinant in golf success.)

What F1 and NASCAR events are like the Master's in terms of pretending to care then not caring?

Daytona for NASCAR? Monaco for F1?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT