ADVERTISEMENT

Josh Dix needs 32+ minutes a game

Tonight I though Desonte and Harding were in sink with each other while on the court, but I can't wait to see want those 2 will do next year after Perkins and Patrick are gone.

I apologize in advance for this…….

19efabcc4b8f6400ca10f142ccadf32d.jpg

Harding has actually been regressing lately. And Dix clearly on the upswing. Harding can’t guard anyone and has not been strong with the ball at all. I’m not dogging him but our bench right now consists of Dix and hopefully someone who can step up and give us 8-10 decent minutes. Whoever that may be.
He looked really sharp last night and could handle the aggressive press better than any other Iowa player. 5 assists in limited minutes is big.

Reactions: onionman1
Tyler is a Register beat writer

Of course he should be the starting 2. Of course he won't be the starting 2. 🙃

Even if he's not the PG, everyone looks better when Dix is on the floor. On the offensive end he gets lots of attention because he's a great shooter. He's a much better passer and ball handler than he's given credit for, having the lowest turnover rate of the top 8 players. On the defensive end he's bigger and smart and is rarely out of position avoiding the defensive breakdowns that we're accustomed to from Iowa guards.

Of course he should be the starting 2. Of course he won't be the starting 2. 🙃

Even if he's not the PG, everyone looks better when Dix is on the floor. On the offensive end he gets lots of attention because he's a great shooter. He's a much better passer and ball handler than he's given credit for, having the lowest turnover rate of the top 8 players. On the defensive end he's bigger and smart and is rarely out of position avoiding the defensive breakdowns that we're accustomed to from Iowa guards.

Dix is the one guard that when opposing team's guard takes him to the hoop, they often miss the shot or decide not to take the shot because he sticks with his guy and he has a lot of length. Perkins also is pretty good defender but he's more likely to let his guy get past him and then go for the big block.

Iowa's problem with defense is mostly in the paint. Freeman is a really good defender when he's allowed by the refs to defend. So the guys that we have to worry about on defense are Krikke, Sandfort, and PMAC when he's in the game.

You're opinion is well noted, it's just that you're opinion doesn't agree with mine, but Fran is still the man that makes the decisions.
Harding has lots of talent as you will find out sooner then later. Tonight I though Desonte and Harding were in sink with each other while on the court, but I can't wait to see want those 2 will do next year after Perkins and Patrick are gone.
your-youre-memes-14-5c1bd4bb46e0fb0001a9c58e.jpg

Reactions: LukaDuka
IMO, Harding, Bowen, Dix and Tony all looked great; I hope we continue to see all 4 at the guard positions with Dix primarily at the 2
Bowen is playing good defense, taking care of the ball, and finding teammates for baskets, but his reluctance to shoot is keeping him from being a top guard. I haven't seen enough to know whether he can shoot outside or not. Anyone know if whether this is just a confidence issue or he just is not a good shooter?

Bowen is playing good defense, taking care of the ball, and finding teammates for baskets, but his reluctance to shoot is keeping him from being a top guard. I haven't seen enough to know whether he can shoot outside or not. Anyone know if whether this is just a confidence issue or he just is not a good shooter?

He passes up a lot of open 3's, imo.

In 17 games he's played 287 minutes (17 minutes/game).

His shooting:
4-16 (25%) from three
30-68 (44%) from 2 point range
34-84 (41%) Overall Shooting

Last night, in a 10 point loss at Penn State, Josh only played 22 minutes.

For the game, Josh was 3-5 (60%) from the field and 3-3 (100%) in FTs for 9 points; he only had 3 fouls.

And check these out (especially PMac's and Dasonte's +/-):

Last edited:
Even when Josh has an off night scoring he plays great defense rebounds and makes good passes even if its a hockey assist

Reactions: Franisdaman
Dix and Perkins are probably the best guard coming Fran has had. I think he got hurt at PSU, which limited his minutes.

Dix needs a minimum of 32 minutes. The fly in the ointment is Patrick. Ball moves and it gets to Patrick hesitation and defense recovers. Happens over and over. Other end he gets attacked as lack of strength and being upright allows offense to get leverage and turn corners against him. Also most likely player to be backdoored besides Stanfort.

You're opinion is well noted, it's just that you're opinion doesn't agree with mine, but Fran is still the man that makes the decisions.
Harding has lots of talent as you will find out sooner then later. Tonight I though Desonte and Harding were in sink with each other while on the court, but I can't wait to see want those 2 will do next year after Perkins and Patrick are gone.
WOB alert

Dix and Perkins are probably the best guard coming Fran has had. I think he got hurt at PSU, which limited his minutes.
Or Fran is blinded by his love for his son and screwed the team yet again. Dix being hurt is a more acceptable answer but I guess we will find out Sunday

Minutes tonight in Iowa's loss at Maryland:
38: Payton
33: Ben
32: Owen
31: Tony
27: Josh
19: PMac
7: Pryce
5: Dasonte
5: Ladji
4: Brock

He needs to hit the weight room, like most of his teammates.
He can be a decent defender at the 2.
As I think it's likely Tony moves on after this season the 2 spot will be primarily Dix next year.

In Iowa's 88-86 OT win over Wisconsin,

Josh's stats:

38 min (of 45 possible)

1-2 (50%) from 3
7-9 (77%) from 2
8-11 (72%) overall shooting

0-0 FTs

17 Points
5 Rebounds
2 Assists

0 Turnovers

2 fouls

Reactions: hawkeye_wx
In Iowa's 88-86 OT win over Wisconsin,

Josh's stats:

38 min (of 45 possible)

1-2 (50%) from 3
7-9 (77%) from 2
8-11 (72%) overall shooting

0-0 FTs

17 Points
5 Rebounds
2 Assists

0 Turnovers

2 fouls

You and I have been high on Dix for awhile. He can ball and I feel like he hasn't even hit his ceiling yet. I also may be biased being a Abe Lincoln Lynx graduate myself.

Josh's stats in today's 10 pt loss at Illinois:

37 minutes

2-5 (40%) from 3
7-10 (70%) from 2
9-15 (60%) Overall shooting

0-0 FTs

20 Points
0 Rebounds
1 Assist

1 Steal

0 Turnovers
1 Foul

Reactions: WestCoastHawkI
ANOTHER 20 pt game for Josh tonight in Iowa's 90-81 win over Penn State.

Josh's stats:

34 minutes

2-3 (67%) from 3
6-7 (86%) from 2
8-10 (80%) Overall shooting

2-2 (100%) FTs

20 Points
0 Rebounds
1 Assist

1 Steal

2 Turnovers
2 Fouls