ADVERTISEMENT

Josh Ogundele

And yes I know I'm being the asshole, especially after a great win, but at some point somebody needs to say it...

Reactions: georgeb43
He’s been injured. Not sure if he still is or not but it’s clear that Mulvey’s mobility alone needs to give him an edge on any PT.

Reactions: 2577hairys
He’s been injured. Not sure if he still is or not but it’s clear that Mulvey’s mobility alone needs to give him an edge on any PT.
I don't know enough about Mulvey to say one way or the other yet. But Ogundele had one good game against Purdue last season and he's the biggest player on this team and he sits in sweatpants on the sidelines every game. Not to mention he entered the transfer portal before the season and then decided to stay. Like I said in my earlier comment: "at some point, somebody needs to say it".

Just imagine if Josh O did his part for a free college scholarship. After all, it's a free tuition ride isn't it? Put my kid in there then! He could use that scholarship too. And he would even join in on the team huddles!

People need to back off of Josh and Mulvey. Big guys need more time to develop. Mulvey responded very well tonight and gave us some big minutes. Each has played very well when given a chance and healthy.

Maybe we should realize, and be thankful for the fact, that Rebraca is playing REALLY well and there has not been a need to rest him. He’s playing as well as any center in the Big right now, including Dickinson.

I hope both Mulvey and Josh come back next year because I think they would be very good for us.

People need to back off of Josh and Mulvey. Big guys need more time to develop. Mulvey responded very well tonight and gave us some big minutes. Each has played very well when given a chance and healthy.

Maybe we should realize, and be thankful for the fact, that Rebraca is playing REALLY well and there has not been a need to rest him. He’s playing as well as any center in the Big right now, including Dickinson.

I hope both Mulvey and Josh come back next year because I think they would be very good for us.
I love Rebraca, and Mulvey is already proving himself to belong on the team. It has nothing to do with either of them. It has everything to do with another pissed away scholarship to someone who clearly isn't deserving of a free scholarship. Austin Ash anyone? That is what separates the Hawkeyes from other Big Ten teams. The Hawkeyes barely won against a Michigan team with a 7 foot monster on the court. They did lose against Wisconsin with a giant 7 foot monster on the court. And they'll likely struggle hard against Zach Edes and Purdue and any other team that puts a big "5" man on scholarship. Our scholarship "5" man has sat in sweatpants the past two seasons and doesn't even join team huddles during the game. Go ahead and try and tell me I'm wrong. I'm sure Josh Ogundele just needs his moment to blossom, right?

Josh is surprisingly handy with the ball. He just can't make it up and down the court more than twice. He has had a long time to get in shape and has yet to do it. When he comes out after playing a few minutes, the trainers have to wipe up the lake around his chair.

I love Rebraca, and Mulvey is already proving himself to belong on the team. It has nothing to do with either of them. It has everything to do with another pissed away scholarship to someone who clearly isn't deserving of a free scholarship. Austin Ash anyone? That is what separates the Hawkeyes from other Big Ten teams. The Hawkeyes barely won against a Michigan team with a 7 foot monster on the court. They did lose against Wisconsin with a giant 7 foot monster on the court. And they'll likely struggle hard against Zach Edes and Purdue and any other team that puts a big "5" man on scholarship. Our scholarship "5" man has sat in sweatpants the past two seasons and doesn't even join team huddles during the game. Go ahead and try and tell me I'm wrong. I'm sure Josh Ogundele just needs his moment to blossom, right?
So, Rebraca outplayed Dickinson tonight and Mulvey held his own. But you think Ogundele is the problem? Ive news for you, we haven’t lost any game this year due to center play. Guards yes. Center, no. But go on about how our back up centers are the problem.

Josh is surprisingly handy with the ball. He just can't make it up and down the court more than twice. He has had a long time to get in shape and has yet to do it. When he comes out after playing a few minutes, the trainers have to wipe up the lake around his chair.
I'll admit I was impressed by some of his moves as a big guy early in this season. I can't remember which game it was, but he put moves on someone and scored maybe 6 points in all. It really was pretty impressive for a guy of his size and (lack of) athleticism. I think he will do well in a European League when his time is up with the Hawkeyes. My only argument is he doesn't deserve a Hawkeye scholarship in the first place and I can't fathom why he is on scholarship this many years now, and he literally sits in his sweatpants on the bench all game and doesn't even bother to join in team huddles during the games. It just...irks me.

So, Rebraca outplayed Dickinson tonight and Mulvey held his own. But you think Ogundele is the problem? Ive news for you, we haven’t lost any game this year due to center play. Guards yes. Center, no. But go on about how our back up centers are the problem.
Whoever said Ogundele is the problem? He is a non-factor, period. The problem is we could have yet another inspired player using the very limited scholarships available for the team. Y'know? Like Austin Ash? The guy that filled a scholarship on a team in a league with a limited number of scholarships. Did that make sense to you?

Reactions: jbofan
Oh. And I can GUARANTEE you the Hawkeyes have lost games this year due to center play.

• Love
Reactions: KcTo
I don't know enough about Mulvey to say one way or the other yet. But Ogundele had one good game against Purdue last season and he's the biggest player on this team and he sits in sweatpants on the sidelines every game. Not to mention he entered the transfer portal before the season and then decided to stay. Like I said in my earlier comment: "at some point, somebody needs to say it".
Thought Josh O had a knee injury?

Mulvey looked good tonight. At times really good. He is definitely athletic and can move. He’s rough and awkward at times, but I think that’s (to some extent) due to just a lack of overall game action.

Exactly it. All I am saying is I don't think he is a wasted scholarship. He had his redshirt year, correct?

Exactly it. All I am saying is I don't think he is a wasted scholarship. He had his redshirt year, correct?
I think so. Could be wrong, but I think his first year, he stayed under the minimum play requirement. I won’t go so far as to say that I think he’ll be a top shelf big in the B1G, but he certainly doesn’t kill you if he has to play.

Reactions: Hawkfan_08
Austin Ash was a walk-on who eventually got rewarded for a year. Hard to imagine people having a big issue with that.
Kind of do. It's a scholarship in exchange for contributing to why you were given a scholarship in the first place. I don't so much care about AA and know he was rewarded with a scholly his senior season. The team was much deeper at the time and at the very least he stood in the huddles during timeouts.

Kind of do. It's a scholarship in exchange for contributing to why you were given a scholarship in the first place. I don't so much care about AA and know he was rewarded with a scholly his senior season. The team was much deeper at the time and at the very least he stood in the huddles during timeouts.
For me it depends on how/when it was granted. If you’re Nicholas Baer or Darryl Moore and you go from walk-on to starter or near-starter, then absolutely, you deserve the scholly and you should enjoy it. With a guy like Ash, I have no issue if it’s given late once the recruiting is done. There’s an extra and you can reward a guy for effort, have at it. That’s why I didn’t have a problem with Ash.

Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
For me it depends on how/when it was granted. If you’re Nicholas Baer or Darryl Moore and you go from walk-on to starter or near-starter, then absolutely, you deserve the scholly and you should enjoy it. With a guy like Ash, I have no issue if it’s given late once the recruiting is done. There’s an extra and you can reward a guy for effort, have at it. That’s why I didn’t have a problem with Ash.
I don't have a problem with Ash either. And Baer was one of the most energetic people the team has had in years. Not to mention Kriener. None of that answers why Josh Ogundele has a scholarship though. Those guys all contributed to the team...but Josh sits around in sweatpants, not an active jersey, and holds a critical spot on the roster. All I'm asking is why?

I don't have a problem with Ash either. And Baer was one of the most energetic people the team has had in years. Not to mention Kriener. None of that answers why Josh Ogundele has a scholarship though. Those guys all contributed to the team...but Josh sits around in sweatpants, not an active jersey, and holds a critical spot on the roster. All I'm asking is why?
Well, I jumped into the thread when Ash was mentioned, but as for Big Jelly, it was clear from day 1 that he was a project. He’s shown some positive flashes - for being as out of shape as he generally seems to be, he’s surprisingly athletic. He’s held his own again Cockburn for stretches, etc. Right now, he’s injured.

I won’t lose any sleep if he transfers, but I’m also not going to totally judge the scholarship until he’s completely gone. The Hawks are never going 13 deep, so a couple “wasted” on the back end is what it is.

Mulvey? Who tf said Mulvey was a wasted scholarship??

Not you but many on this board. I was eluding to the idea that we didn't know what he would produce. Felt kind of like that kid we got out of Atlanta that I can't remember right now.

Maybe wasted scholarship wasn't the correct phrase but more like not a major contributor to the squad.

I thought we only had 11 or 12 guys on scholarship, so giving one to Ash was a reward for sticking here and working hard. It would have just sat unused if Ash didn't have a scholly.

Mulvey has played both years, so after this year if he doesn't redshirt in either of the next 2 years, he will have 2 years remaining at Iowa.
Obviously Iowa lately is used to having some scholarship players playing less then the full four years. That probably is just as prevalent when you have a coach that develops players then recruits ready for prime time.

Reactions: justinjdry
So Josh either beat the shit out of you or stole your girlfriend because your complaints are not actually questions but rather passive-aggressive insults that seem to be rooted in a fundamental belief that he is NOT worthy of a scholarship. You’re going on “ignore” because everyone else contributes to the conversation but you sit around in your underwear, not wearing an active jersey or other any other piece of clothing, and pathetically ask, like a sad issue-laden basement-dwelling dweeb, “why”, when what you actually need is your mom to unplug your laptop, So go on - put on some pants, go outside and have fun with the other kids…

So Josh either beat the shit out of you or stole your girlfriend because your complaints are not actually questions but rather passive-aggressive insults that seem to be rooted in a fundamental belief that he is NOT worthy of a scholarship. You’re going on “ignore” because everyone else contributes to the conversation but you sit around in your underwear, not wearing an active jersey or other any other piece of clothing, and pathetically ask, like a sad issue-laden basement-dwelling dweeb, “why”, when what you actually need is your mom to unplug your laptop, So go on - put on some pants, go outside and have fun with the other kids…
Aw I'm on ignore? Then that just makes you a purely passive coward. What exactly was it that I said that hurted your wittle feelings so badly anyway? Explain to me what is passive-aggressive for calling something out for what it really is? All the other players on the roster mentioned in this thread have shown they're willing to put in the work it takes in exchange for getting a scholarship. Whether they were significant contributers or not, at least they acted like they gave two-shits about the opportunity they were given. The center position is always stretched thin at every school, so no, Josh isn't one to deserve a spot on the roster and a throwaway scholarship. Not to even mention he was lucky enough to play behind and practice against Luka Garza for an entire season, and learn from one of the best and most motivated centers the big ten has had in years. Something Mulvey missed out on. In Josh's own words from June 2021:

“Last year, I was very mad at myself because I could have made a bigger impact than I did, especially with Jack Nunge being out,” Ogundele said. “But because my conditioning wasn’t there, I couldn’t do anything.

“This summer, I’ve just been working on conditioning because I know I have what it takes to play in the Big Ten. It’s just my conditioning that was a problem. So as soon as I get my conditioning, I think I’ll be very confident in playing next year and taking over.”

And here we are halfway through the 2022-23 season and still no sign of Josh being in any better shape or adding any valuable minutes than he did his freshmen season. Every REAL fan, unlike you, that follows the team closely, should be frustrated and disgusted at what could be accomplished if any upperclassmen at the 5 position not named Rebraca would've stepped up like they were expected to do. Instead our guy repays the team by joining the transfer portal in the off-season and when nobody scoops him up he comes back and rides the bench all season long.

I watched Josh today as he limped around the court during the shoot around, and before the start of the second half a missed shot bounced off the court and hit him in the knee. He winced and looked like he was in pain.
I don’t see him playing the rest of the year.

Reactions: iahawks10
I watched Josh today as he limped around the court during the shoot around, and before the start of the second half a missed shot bounced off the court and hit him in the knee. He winced and looked like he was in pain.
I don’t see him playing the rest of the year.

Was going to post the same. Walking gingerly with a limp and the ball looked like it hit him in the knee. Josh’s reaction looked like it caused him a lot of pain, but he was smiling right after it. I thought it was a good sign to see him on the court, rebounding, until that happened.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT