ADVERTISEMENT

Josh Ogundele

I watched Josh today as he limped around the court during the shoot around, and before the start of the second half a missed shot bounced off the court and hit him in the knee. He winced and looked like he was in pain.
I don’t see him playing the rest of the year.
Is that your professional medical opinion?

I have no idea whether anyone gave an offer, but he clearly didn’t get any offers better than the back end of the Iowa’s bench.
He probably got an offer, but it was for a place not so cosmopolitan as IC. If he was healthy he would be a help against bigger post players, or simply to give Rebraca a few minutes of rest per half.

Didn't he put his name in the portal and no one gave him an offer?
I have no idea whether anyone gave an offer, but he clearly didn’t get any offers better than the back end of the Iowa’s bench.
He went on a visit to Temple. He very candidly said in his interview with the McCaffery brother's podcast this off-season that he instantly regretted putting his name in the portal. In his words, he implied that he had quite a bit of coaches reaching out but he just felt that they were trying to feed him a bill of goods.
Take it for what it's worth. Iowa also re-recruited him once they struck out on their portal options too FWIW.

Reactions: slipHawk
I agree. Ash definitely earned it.
“It has everything to do with another pissed away scholarship to someone who clearly isn't deserving of a free scholarship. Austin Ash anyone?”
“Y'know? Like Austin Ash? The guy that filled a scholarship on a team in a league with a limited number of scholarships. Did that make sense to you?”

Odd comments that don’t seem to support the ‘Ash definitely earned it’ comment.
Do we know if practicing against JoshO helped or hurt the development of Garza and Rebraca? Building a team takes a lot of different components. Not everyone is the star. Would it be better if he contributed more in games? You bet. Is it the case currently? Nope. Does Iowa beat Purdue last year without his minutes?

So, Rebraca outplayed Dickinson tonight and Mulvey held his own. But you think Ogundele is the problem? Ive news for you, we haven’t lost any game this year due to center play. Guards yes. Center, no. But go on about how our back up centers are the problem.
Dickinson missed one shot and his team didn't get him the ball in the second half, plus he was double teamed all night. Tough to compare

Reactions: Mohawkeye
“It has everything to do with another pissed away scholarship to someone who clearly isn't deserving of a free scholarship. Austin Ash anyone?”
“Y'know? Like Austin Ash? The guy that filled a scholarship on a team in a league with a limited number of scholarships. Did that make sense to you?”

Odd comments that don’t seem to support the ‘Ash definitely earned it’ comment.
Do we know if practicing against JoshO helped or hurt the development of Garza and Rebraca? Building a team takes a lot of different components. Not everyone is the star. Would it be better if he contributed more in games? You bet. Is it the case currently? Nope. Does Iowa beat Purdue last year without his minutes?
You're right on that one, it was definitely a hypocritical statement on my part about Ash. When I said he earned it, I mostly meant he stuck it out with the team as a walk-on for all of his early years before he was rewarded a scholarship. So I shouldn't have brought Ash into the conversation like that to begin with. After 3+ years of blood, sweat and tears while paying his own way through college garners a lot of respect from me. I was just comparing players on a scholarship that weren't really bringing much to the team, but I have nothing but respect for Austin and I shouldn't have made that comparison to begin with.

As for Josh helping to develop anyone else is a bit of a stretch considering he shows the amount of energy he has after running fullcourt a mere two times. I seriously doubt he was any more energetic behind closed doors during practice which makes it hard to believe he added any significant value during practices. But you do make a good point there. I did give Josh some credit in an earlier post about his performance against Purdue last season and I think his large presence helped keep Purdue in check down in the post but it doesn't mean Iowa wouldn't have won without him. He only played 10 minutes that game and had 4 points, all in the first half. Certainly not a bad game for him but hardly anything worthy of saying he was a main contributer. And for what its worth, he didn't have a single rebound that game while Edey had 14.

Lol. We had a lot more than center problems that game. You won’t win many games shooting 20% from the 3 with your best player injured. What is your obsession with Josh?
Agreed. Iowa shot like crap for those games. But would having a good post player have helped? Absolutely. All three of those teams dominated the post because of their size. Iowa was forced to take shots and they were horribly cold from 3. If they had a big down low to offset those teams' big players it would have definitely affected the game.

I don't have an obsession with Josh. As I said in my OP, somebody needs to say it. It's obvious. And I don't hate Josh by any means and my posts aren't necessarily just a jab at him, they are equally a jab at McCaffrey for seemingly ignoring a major flaw in the program that indeed does cost Iowa games.

Here's my "outsider looking in" take on it without any inside knowledge of the program: Josh O is a close friend and moral support for most of the team, and nothing more. I think the team appreciates having him around because from what I've heard from them he is a fun guy to be around. Which is why I had brought up Austin Ash before, because he seemed to also play that role on the team. As a fan wanting to win games, that's frustrating to me. Fran keeps things tight knit and maybe that helps to some degree, but from a winning games perspective, it doesn't seem logical when the center position is so important and our starting center is typically 3+ inches shorter than most of the competition's. Like I said before, it just irks me.

Agreed. Iowa shot like crap for those games. But would having a good post player have helped? Absolutely. All three of those teams dominated the post because of their size. Iowa was forced to take shots and they were horribly cold from 3. If they had a big down low to offset those teams' big players it would have definitely affected the game.

I don't have an obsession with Josh. As I said in my OP, somebody needs to say it. It's obvious. And I don't hate Josh by any means and my posts aren't necessarily just a jab at him, they are equally a jab at McCaffrey for seemingly ignoring a major flaw in the program that indeed does cost Iowa games.

Here's my "outsider looking in" take on it without any inside knowledge of the program: Josh O is a close friend and moral support for most of the team, and nothing more. I think the team appreciates having him around because from what I've heard from them he is a fun guy to be around. Which is why I had brought up Austin Ash before, because he seemed to also play that role on the team. As a fan wanting to win games, that's frustrating to me. Fran keeps things tight knit and maybe that helps to some degree, but from a winning games perspective, it doesn't seem logical when the center position is so important and our starting center is typically 3+ inches shorter than most of the competition's. Like I said before, it just irks me.
I totally agree that Iowa has a major weakness in the 21-22 and 22-23 seasons and that is in the post area. Fran needs to do a lot better job of recruiting a legitimate center for the Hawks to become a force in college basketball. The other pieces are generally there.

Reactions: justinjdry
IMO, Josh is a clown. Not consistently serious enough about weight loss, conditioning, and developing his game. What you see is what you get...and I dont expect it to be much of a contribution. He could head to the portal again....and he won't likely get a single legitimate offer.
Really? You think the clown statement is necessary? There has been much speculation about his conditioning being affected by long term covid. I have no idea. Fran brought the kid back, probably hoping to duplicate what we got from him against Purdue last season. It appears that won't be happening, so Fran needs to be getting Mulvey 6-8 minutes/game and get what he can from him backing up FR.

The stories about unspecified or speculated health issues have swirled around since his arrival.

The covid thing would be typical Iowa luck. The odds of a kid his age even contracting Covid are small, the chance of sufficient illness to require other than outpatient care are even smaller and the odd of having any kind of long-term injury almost infinitesmal.

So, of course a Hawkeye eats the random bullet in nature's plan. Whatever its pathogenesis, it always kind of insinuates cardiology problems. Jesus Christ I hope not; Josh seems like a good kid and no kid needs heart attack worries.

Riley should get a few more steady minutes. Like a minute before a known TV timeout. Shit, put him out there for the jump and let him play the first minute or dead ball, whichever first occurs. Kris gets up but Riley starts up. Of course if he did jump he might fall, I guess we haven't seen him hop yet.

Reactions: justinjdry
Really? You think the clown statement is necessary? There has been much speculation about his conditioning being affected by long term covid. I have no idea. Fran brought the kid back, probably hoping to duplicate what we got from him against Purdue last season. It appears that won't be happening, so Fran needs to be getting Mulvey 6-8 minutes/game and get what he can from him backing up FR.
Yes. IMO Josh is a clown. Sorry if I hurt your feelings. Anything else?

Reactions: dean_oliver222
Yes it is Captain Internet.
When I see a 6’10 300 lb guy who can’t put weight on a leg that is in a heavy brace I reckon they ain’t playing in the next 6 weeks.
I hope I’m wrong, but it doesn’t look good.
Agree with you. But given how much he hasn’t played this year I don’t see it as a concern. More minutes for Mulvey.

Yes. IMO Josh is a clown. Sorry if I hurt your feelings. Anything else?
Sure. Why make such a stupid comment? Like MY feelings are hurt. You don't effect in any way how I feel, so why something stupid like that. And why bag on the kid. He has some tools, which he has CLEARLY shown in games against the guy who will be the conferences player of the year, this season. He bodied up Edey last year in the tourney and slowed him down, AND scored twice on him. He lacks confidence no doubt, for whatever reason. Some of that is on Fran for his not keeping him more involved. He'll probably never be a solid contributor for Iowa, but thats no reason to make crappy or snide comments about him personally.

The stories about unspecified or speculated health issues have swirled around since his arrival.

The covid thing would be typical Iowa luck. The odds of a kid his age even contracting Covid are small, the chance of sufficient illness to require other than outpatient care are even smaller and the odd of having any kind of long-term injury almost infinitesmal.

So, of course a Hawkeye eats the random bullet in nature's plan. Whatever its pathogenesis, it always kind of insinuates cardiology problems. Jesus Christ I hope not; Josh seems like a good kid and no kid needs heart attack worries.

Riley should get a few more steady minutes. Like a minute before a known TV timeout. Shit, put him out there for the jump and let him play the first minute or dead ball, whichever first occurs. Kris gets up but Riley starts up. Of course if he did jump he might fall, I guess we haven't seen him hop yet.
Well apparently his knee is injured at the moment, but I agree about the jumpball thing and I've even wondered at times why he wasn't in just to get some easy personal fouls against teams like Duke that were gigantic compared to our guys. I'd rather see one of those bigs get fouled and have to take free throws when we are getting dominated down in the post like that. Josh would be a perfect foulout sacrifice guy for situations like that.

Sure. Why make such a stupid comment? Like MY feelings are hurt. You don't effect in any way how I feel, so why something stupid like that. And why bag on the kid. He has some tools, which he has CLEARLY shown in games against the guy who will be the conferences player of the year, this season. He bodied up Edey last year in the tourney and slowed him down, AND scored twice on him. He lacks confidence no doubt, for whatever reason. Some of that is on Fran for his not keeping him more involved. He'll probably never be a solid contributor for Iowa, but thats no reason to make crappy or snide comments about him personally.
As I mentioned twice now....IMO Josh is a clown. I'm entitled to my own opinion and I can state how I feel freely on the board. I hesitate to mention this but my opinion is impacted by someone that I know as an acquaintance that has a connection to people that know him. You can play the "long covid card" but that hasn't been substantiated. Even if that is the case, it should not stop him from having a little better control of his diet and losing some weight. Stop attacking me for stating my opinion. I'm entitled to it, it's well informed, and it's not against the law. Take your butt hurt elsewhere....you're wasting your time with me.

As I mentioned twice now....IMO Josh is a clown. I'm entitled to my own opinion and I can state how I feel freely on the board. I hesitate to mention this but my opinion is impacted by someone that I know as an acquaintance that has a connection to people that know him. You can play the "long covid card" but that hasn't been substantiated. Even if that is the case, it should not stop him from having a little better control of his diet and losing some weight. Stop attacking me for stating my opinion. I'm entitled to it, it's well informed, and it's not against the law. Take your butt hurt elsewhere....you're wasting your time with me.
Your last statement is the ONE thing that I'd agree with, so my bad for wasting my time......

Last edited:
You most definitely are allowed to call Josh a clown. Your ‘I know someone who knows him’ definitely supports your position.
The good news is that the same privilege that allows you to call Josh a clown allows others to call you names as well. Funny how that works

Reactions: chaneccooms
You most definitely are allowed to call Josh a clown. Your ‘I know someone who knows him’ definitely supports your position.
The good news is that the same privilege that allows you to call Josh a clown allows others to call you names as well. Funny how that works
Correct. And if you were able to keep up...you would have noticed I haven't written a word about someone else calling me a name. Thanks, genius.

Correct. And if you were able to keep up...you would have noticed I haven't written a word about someone else calling me a name. Thanks, genius.
Not sure why I would need to keep up on noticing what you haven’t written….. can you point out some things I haven’t written so I can catch up on that as well?

Reactions: kceasthawk

Actually you can’t. Attacking the players and calling them derogatory names is (or at least was) against the forum rules. As is calling other members names.

Reactions: chaneccooms
Actually you can’t. Attacking the players and calling them derogatory names is (or at least was) against the forum rules. As is calling other members names.
You're really scaring me! Looks like I'm about to be kicked off this board for saying in my opinion Josh is a clown. Please report me ASAP you douchebag. See what I did there, moron?

• Haha
Reactions: iahawks10
I hesitate to mention this but my opinion is impacted by someone that I know as an acquaintance that has a connection to people that know him.
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

You seriously just passed judgment on another person on a public message board because you know someone who knows someone who knows that person? That is legitimately pathetic.

Your posts say a lot more about you than they do Josh.

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

You seriously just passed judgment on another person on a public message board because you know someone who knows someone who knows that person? That is legitimately pathetic.

Your posts say a lot more about you than they do Josh.
Your comment would be kinda cool and maybe a little interesting IF I cared even one tiny $hit about what you think. But...hey, I'll go ahead and play along with your stupidity anyway....

What you're describing as "legitimately pathetic" happens over and over again in life. It's just how the world works, dummy. People know someone who happens to know that person in question.....and they pass on information. Then you, given your assessment of the credibility of the info, form your own opinion. It's not like it went through 3 or 4 (or more) "sources". What planet do you live on, asshole?

Your comment would be kinda cool and maybe a little interesting IF I cared even one tiny $hit about what you think. But...hey, I'll go ahead and play along with your stupidity anyway....

What you're describing as "legitimately pathetic" happens over and over again in life. It's just how the world works, dummy. People know someone who happens to know that person in question.....and they pass on information. Then you, given your assessment of the credibility of the info, form your own opinion. It's not like it went through 3 or 4 (or more) "sources". What planet do you live on, asshole?
We’re a matter of days removed from a player having to take a leave of absence because of anxiety related to his production and you’re on the internet ragging on a player?

Here’s how the world really works outside of your junior high gossip life: You don’t have the first clue what Josh is dealing with physically or mentally.

What is known is that when Josh was considering leaving the program, Coach McCaffery wanted him back. I’ll take his opinion over some anonymous internet troll and his knitting circle rumors.

So, guessing we don't know anything as it relates to Josh getting back on the floor?

You're really scaring me! Looks like I'm about to be kicked off this board for saying in my opinion Josh is a clown. Please report me ASAP you douchebag. See what I did there, moron?
200.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT