ADVERTISEMENT

Negro League records now incorporated into MLB stats

America will soon learn all about JOSH GIBSON! Perhaps one of the 3 greatest ball players ever (he, Ruth and Cobb). My dad watched him in Springfield and said he hit a home run there that is probably still in the air! Dad said Gibson was the best ball player he ever saw “live”..

Anyone wanting to know about the greatness of Josh Gibson needs only to refer to Roy Campanella. Campy was arguably the best catcher in MLB during his career. And numerous people in the game at the time, including Campy himself, said Josh was better in every way.

Can anyone shed some light on why the pitching was better in the MLB during the time period?
Probably talent pool (too many NL teams,) training, an effective minor league system, forced longevity, and different military service requirements.

It’s undeniable that HOF players like Jackie Robinson, Larry Doby, Willard Brown, Roy Campenella, and Minnie Miñoso all took a major step back in BA when they moved from the NL to MLB.

What’s ironic is that the only player who transitioned with almost no change was a pitcher, Satchel Paige. Dude was a monster into his 40’s.

Last edited:
Major league stats or incorporated into Major League Baseball (MLB) stats? If the latter can you show me some players who played in the six leagues you cited as also being recognized in MLB
I’m not going to do that research for you but here is an article from 2020 right after mlb decided they would include negro leagues in the official mlb stats to add to the 6 leagues in those official stats since 1969.

Isn’t the word Negro racist?
It just means *:black" in Spanish. How it came to be used by English speakers have no idea. Unfortunately the racist N word comes from it. However, people speaking in Spanish can use negro to describe things black, like the song "Ojos Negros." .

Of those six leagues that were recognized are any player stats incorporated into the MLB statistics?
Yes, like they’re doing now, they incorporated what they were able to verify - but those leagues had much better coverage than the Negro Leagues.

Nice story, and happy to see it. Some truly great athletes and human beings getting their due.

Yes, like they’re doing now, they incorporated what they were able to verify - but those leagues had much better coverage than the Negro Leagues.
I’m being 100 genuine here and maybe I just can’t find it but I can’t find anywhere where MLB has incorporated other leagues’ stats into their own. It appears the negro league will be the first to make its mark- from what I can find

Anyone wanting to know about the greatness of Josh Gibson needs only to refer to Roy Campanella. Campy was arguably the best catcher in MLB during his career. And numerous people in the game at the time, including Campy himself, said Josh was better in every way.
For my part, I wish we'd have seen a younger Satchell Paige pitching in MLB.

Reactions: hawkifann
For my part, I wish we'd have seen a younger Satchell Paige pitching in MLB.

My grandfather saw both Satchel Paige and Water Johnson pitch. He was Johnson towards the the end of his career, but he still had incredible speed. My grandpa was ten years old! He saw Paige in the late-30s, but I don’t know any more details about it. I think it was a barnstorming game. He said Paige gave a hilarious interview on the radio about the names he gave to his pitches.

I'm much more ok with this than having the steroid guys in there. Cheating is cheating no matter how many people were doing it.

I think this is pretty cool.

I’m being 100 genuine here and maybe I just can’t find it but I can’t find anywhere where MLB has incorporated other leagues’ stats into their own. It appears the negro league will be the first to make its mark- from what I can find
It’ll have the biggest impact by far. The other leagues were listed above - none of the others were more than about 8 years of stats and they were all in the dead ball era.

Here’s a random guy I found by pulling up a Federal League roster on Baseball Reference. This guy played one year in the AL, 2 years in the FL (Federal League) and then 1 year in the NL. All the seasons are listed together and pooled for career numbers.

Two of the greatest Black MLB players since 1950 were
Hank Aaron and Willie Mays. They are both Hall of Famers
and left their impact on the record books.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT