ADVERTISEMENT

Just going to leave this here

Different types. You’d be hard pressed to find a devout catholic that identified as Christian however. My wife, for example, was raised Catholic. She converted to Christianity. Her father was not happy about her attending a Christian church as a teenager. He said, why do you live in this house? You will go to Catholic Church. We are a Catholic family. We now attend a nondenominational Christian church.
No, your wife was a Christian before and converted to another Christian sect.

Different types. You’d be hard pressed to find a devout catholic that identified as Christian however. My wife, for example, was raised Catholic. She converted to Christianity. Her father was not happy about her attending a Christian church as a teenager. He said, why do you live in this house? You will go to Catholic Church. We are a Catholic family. We now attend a nondenominational Christian church.
This is funny stuff, thanks for the laughs.

Reactions: goldmom
As someone who grew up Lutheran and now attends Catholic services, if serious, this is a very odd take.

As someone who grew up Lutheran and now attends Catholic services, if serious, this is a very odd take.
Have many nuns at your Lutheran church? Did you confess your sins to your pastor, who was somehow closer to God and had the power to absolve you of said sins? Was your pastor allowed to get married? Or was he required to take a vow of celibacy? Observe many Ash Wednesdays or participate in lent when you were growing up? Modern Christianity adheres to worship and beliefs that are scripture based. Catholics observe many traditions and practices that are more ritualistic and symbolic. Christians view many Catholic traditions are false idol worship ie Saints and the Virgin Mary. I could go on and on with a college thesis worth of examples of the differences, but this is getting silly. Odd take that someone would pretend that the two aren’t vastly different when they clearly and unequivocally are.

Last edited:
Disagree Season 3 GIF by The Lonely Island
🙄🤡

Have many nuns at your Lutheran church? Did you confess your sins to your pastor, who was somehow closer to God and had the power to absolve you of said sins? Was your pastor allowed to get married? Or was he required to take a vow of celibacy? Observe many Ash Wednesdays or participate in lent when you were growing up? Modern Christianity adheres to worship and beliefs that are scripture based. Catholics observe many traditions and practices that are more ritualistic and symbolic. Christians view many Catholic traditions are false idol worship ie Saints and the Virgin Mary. I could go on and on with a college thesis worth of examples of the differences, but this is getting silly. Odd take that someone would pretend that the two aren’t vastly different when they clearly and unequivocally are.
Did your mail order preacher tell you this?
I bet you get to Church early every week so you can get the best snakes, right?

My parent were Lutheran and Catholic and it was a big deal when they got married, so much of a deal they couldn't get married in the Catholic church. Even for me, when I got married the Priest wouldn't take part in my wedding because my wife wouldn't convert to Catholic.

A couple thoughts:

First, early Christianity didn't go by the Bible alone. Jesus didn't write the Bible. The Bible was composed by the Catholic Church by the Year 300 A.D.

Second, Jesus gave the Apostles the ability to forgive sins.

John 20:21-23:

Jesus said to them again, “Peace be with you. As the Father has sent me, even so I send you.” And when he had said this, he breathed on them, and said to them, “Receive the Holy Spirit. If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven; if you retain the sins of any, they are retained.”

Second, both Jesus and Saint Paul recommended celibacy.

Matthew 19:11-20:14

Jesus Teaches on Celibacy

"But He said to them, “All cannot accept this saying, but only those to whom it has been given: For there are eunuchs who were born thus from their mother’s womb, and there are eunuchs who were made eunuchs by men, and there are eunuchs who have made themselves eunuchs for the kingdom of heaven’s sake. He who is able to accept it, let him accept it.”

Veneration of Mary and the saints is a part of early Christianity. It's veneration, not worship. Catholics don't worship Mary.

The idea of "Sola Scriptura" was created 1,500 years after Jesus by Martin Luther.

The Catholic Church had been in place for 1,400 years by then.

Just FYI. :)

A couple thoughts:

First, early Christianity didn't go by the Bible alone. Jesus didn't write the Bible. The Bible was composed by the Catholic Church by the Year 300 A.D.

Second, Jesus gave the Apostles the ability to forgive sins.

John 20:21-23:

Second, both Jesus and Saint Paul recommended celibacy.

Matthew 19:11-20:14​

Jesus Teaches on Celibacy​

"But He said to them, “All cannot accept this saying, but only those to whom it has been given: For there are eunuchs who were born thus from their mother’s womb, and there are eunuchs who were made eunuchs by men, and there are eunuchs who have made themselves eunuchs for the kingdom of heaven’s sake. He who is able to accept it, let him accept it.”

Veneration of Mary and the saints is a part of early Christianity. It's veneration, not worship. Catholics don't worship Mary.

The idea of "Sola Scriptura" was created 1,500 years after Jesus by Martin Luther.

The Catholic Church had been in place for 1,400 years by then.

Just FYI. :)
Doin gods work! Keep on keeping on bro. You’re seriously changing lives here!

Bro…..u srs? It’s “I think you should leave with Tim Robinson” on Netflix. Stop what you’re doing immediately and watch the entirety of this show. You’re welcome.
We’ve been without Netflix for the last 8-9 months, but that’ll be on the list when we fire it up again.

I don't know a single Catholic that doesn't consider themselves Christian. And I know a lot of them go even that my wife's family is all Catholic my brother's wife's family is all Catholic.

Reactions: BrianNole777

So, there were no Christians until the Protestant Reformation?

Reactions: BrianNole777
It’s quite a bit different. JFK was the first Catholic elected president. I believe Biden was the second.
Wait

how is Catholicism different than generic Christianity
I think he would tell you Lutherans aren’t Christian either

Last edited:
Reactions: lucas80
I don’t think you know much about Christianity.

Reactions: lucas80
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT