ADVERTISEMENT

Just How Bad Must Lainez Be?

Yeah, but this conversation is a broken record. Name one quarterback who has looked decent with Brian as the position coach. There isn’t one. Petras? Nope. Padilla? Nope. Labas? 14-24 139 yards 1 TD in the bowl game. Pedestrian, but agreed he’s the best we’ve seen (sadly). Cade? Nope. Deacon? Atrocious.

Really doesn’t matter much. But, yeah, Kirk is Kirk and wouldn’t change quarterbacks without a broken bone or limb loss. Kirk is and always will be incompetent in the way of recruiting/developing quarterbacks. His system clearly isn’t “QB friendly,” either, so no matter whom you throw back there, Tom Brady or Brucee from The Longest Yard, the results will be pretty much the same.

It’s just time for the next chapter in Iowa football.
Nathan Stanley was the best QB of the BF era by miles.

Reactions: jo12208
I get arguing for Labas. I beat that dead horse all the time.

Lainez is a freshman. No freshman will ever play QB for KF.
Well, and even setting aside freshman QB history at Iowa (Tate, Stanzi, Beathard and Stanley were all backups as freshman, IIRC), Lainez came in as a freshman behind a QB the Swarm reportedly paid 7 figures, the QB that started the bowl game last year and another transfer in Hill. Him running scout team isn’t surprising and would have been the likely outcome with that QB group with a lot of coaches, not just KF.

Reactions: sober_teacher
It's always how we have some thick NFL level playbook and a system that requires the QB to make play adjustments all the time. News flash Kirk, the product on the field that comes from this complex NFL system is shit and the QBs you have been playing that supposedly understand the system suck ass at the playing part of football. I'm sick and tired of the QB duties being too complicated and the blocking system being too complicated. Dumb the shit down and use a system that people can perform well in, play fast in vs spending most of the time bogged down trying to think about what they should be doing.

I think that our stifling defense, which is top 3 in every defensive KPI every year - and has been for a while now - is hurting our QBs' growth. How can you get better if you get intercepted or sacked on every other live play during practice? Maybe we need to start letting our No. 1 offense practice against the 2s & 3s so that the QB can gain some confidence and grow? Might just work, crazy as it seems on the surface.
This is something that Coach Fry did as I recall. He wanted the 1's to have confidence that they could execute during the games and so he had them run against the 2's during practice. I don't know if he did that all the time, but it was something he did. Not crazy at all...makes a lot of sense.

Through 9 weeks, Deacon Hill ranks 130th out of 130 QBs in both completion percentage to yards per game. A feat never before accomplished by an Iowa QB. Meanwhile, of the 129 starters better than Hill, TWELVE are freshmen who are throwing for at least 142 yards per game (50 yards more than Hill) with completion percentages above 59% (20% better than Hill). Obviously, in this day and age, it doesn't matter what year a QB is in school. If he has talent, he will go out there and make plays.

Today at Kirk's press conference, when faced with a question regarding Hill's abysmal performance, Kirk justified sticking with hill due to ball security being his biggest concern. He said that despite the fact that Hill also ranks 130 out of 130 in turnover potential. Pretty mind blowing when you think about it and a big slap in the face to fans and players alike.

Kirk said there is a clear pecking order in Iowa's QB room. Ball security was the most important attribute. "Deacon Hill is the clear #1 and it's not even close." In fact, he said there's a huge drop off between Hill and Joey Labas. And then there's the terrifying part...Labas is substantially better than Iowa's freshmen hope for the future, Tony Racioppi trained Marco Lainez. YIKES. What does being last on Iowa's depth chart say about Lainez? What does it say about Iowa's ability to compete in the upgraded Big 10 for years to come?

Statistically, Iowa's starting QB is the worst in college football. It can then be deduced that both backups are worse than the worst starting QB in college football.

Looking ahead, it sounds like Iowa will be relying on the transfer portal at QB each and every year going forward because no one QB on the roster deserves to be playing Big 10 football.
All of this!

Reactions: HawkeyeinOmaha
KF is a pro style off guy.. r u that dumb? U think he should try to coach something he has never done before? That’s not going to change, only a moron would. But he sure the he’ll doesn’t call the plays or tell the OC when to pass and run. He gives a game
Prep opinion like most. Jfc.

Sounds like you are saying KF should be fired. Apparently he can't even hire an offensive coordinator to do anthing different than what KF has done for past 24 years.

You are pretty loose with the use of "moron" which indicates to me you don't have enough confidence in your own intellect to have a civil discussion.

I love how pro style offense to the Kirk defenders means you basically have to have a total statue back there. A pro style guy shouldn’t look like Deacon.
It's just asinine at this point @littlez
I don't know whether to laugh or cry anymore.
I seriously question Kirk's mental stability. He's been worshiped too long and I believe it's turned into some type of psychosis.
His decision making is not logical.

So...12 out of 130 division one schools. That's your reasoning for Lainez to start?
Throw him into this mess right now if you want to destroy him for the future. Unless labbas has left the team, Kirk is being his usual moron self when it comes to QB’s. Labas had a pretty good bowel game considering it was his first start. It has to be personal, any idiot can see he is much better and more athletic than Hill. We always say what do you have to lose, but Brian had some smart ass condescending answer last year. Glad that weak ass Barta is gone, or Brian being elevated to head coach in a few years would still be the plan.

Reactions: Tom Paris
The next chapter isn’t happening soon. Brian is around until the end of the season, after that Kirk is around for as long as he wants. Better hope Labas plays and is at least decent.
I think KF is on the clock as far as the offense goes. If it is not better next season, I could see BG making a major move.

• Haha
Reactions: Hawktagonapus
I think KF is on the clock as far as the offense goes. If it is not better next season, I could see BG making a major move.
No way you can or should fire a coach who wins 10 (possibly) games. Maybe if they completely tank next year with a tougher schedule and they go 6-6 or worse..Thank Barta for giving Kirk a lifelong contract.

No way you can or should fire a coach who wins 10 (possibly) games. Maybe if they completely tank next year with a tougher schedule and they go 6-6 or worse..Thank Barta for giving Kirk a lifelong contract.
KF already has his built-in excuse for terrible offense next season - Players still adjusting to the new OC.

Still crossing my fingers that Iowa manages to scratch out W's in these last 3 games and KF realizes that he's seen his last double-digit win season and calls it quits...

Hills stat lines…he is still second in passing yards behind McNamara, 505 to 492.
Games:
MSU: 11/27, 115 yards, 1 td, 1 int
Purdue: 6/21, 110 yards, 1 td, 1 int
Wisky: 6/14, 37 yards, no td or int
MN: 10/28, 116 yards, no td, 1 int, 2 fumbles lost
NW: 10/15, 65 yards, 1 td, 1 int

Totals: 47/110, 492 yards 41.6%, 3 TD passes, 4 int, 2 fumbles lost, QBR: 79.8%

You can’t make this stuff up and they still trot him out there week after week.

I feel bad for Labas and Lainez.

Hills stat lines…he is still second in passing yards behind McNamara, 505 to 492.
Games:

Whats bizarre is we arguably got Deacons best game last week.

Games:

Why the f was he allowed to throw 28 passes against MN in a game we were leading most of the time? Good God! That might be the worst in-game offensive management in the history of football. No wonder BG couldn't take it anymore and pulled the plug.

Why the f was he allowed to throw 28 passes against MN in a game we were leading most of the time? Good God! That might be the worst in-game offensive management in the history of football. No wonder BG couldn't take it anymore and pulled the plug.

To be fair, passing was the wise move given minnesotas packing the box all game. The error was the play selection imo, not necessarily the 28 passes.

Throw him into this mess right now if you want to destroy him for the future. Unless labbas has left the team, Kirk is being his usual moron self when it comes to QB’s. Labas had a pretty good bowel game considering it was his first start. It has to be personal, any idiot can see he is much better and more athletic than Hill. We always say what do you have to lose, but Brian had some smart ass condescending answer last year. Glad that weak ass Barta is gone, or Brian being elevated to head coach in a few years would still be the plan.
Ferentz tends to hold a grudge on certain players for whatever and it is life-long. He is not the guy the boot lickers think he is IMO.

It's always how we have some thick NFL level playbook and a system that requires the QB to make play adjustments all the time. News flash Kirk, the product on the field that comes from this complex NFL system is shit and the QBs you have been playing that supposedly understand the system suck ass at the playing part of football. I'm sick and tired of the QB duties being too complicated and the blocking system being too complicated. Dumb the shit down and use a system that people can perform well in, play fast in vs spending most of the time bogged down trying to think about what they should be doing.
Kind of like Parker’s defense.

Reactions: littlez
It's all relative. Stanley was good compared with Petras and Hill, but the guy started 3 years and never made 1st team, 2nd team, or 3rd team all Big 10. He was a mediocre Big 10 QB who looked like Tom Brady compared with what Iowa has now.
Of course it’s relative, but relatively speaking, he was the best QB of the BF OC era by miles. Stanley was, at minimum, a competent QB. He spent time on NFL practice squad. He had limitations, was far from perfect and was certainly never all-conference, but he could read a D and go make a play sometimes.

How many 1 or 2 reps did Labas get before the bowl game? A few weeks? Labas has been getting no. 2 reps for sometime. Are ya’ll that effing stupid,Stupid?
How many #2 reps do you think there are for Labas when they’re trying to get Hill up to speed at the 1, before the last couple weeks, jfc, u dmb.

How many #2 reps do you think there are for Labas when they’re trying to get Hill up to speed at the 1, before the last couple weeks, jfc, u dmb.
Labas is in his 3rd year in the system and the current QB who has been here all of 6 months will go on to generate not only one of the lowest QB ratings in Iowa football history, but in modern NCAA history. Hill has been the starter now for 5 weeks, not a couple. He's not shown himself in any way to be a capable QB. And yet, here you are calling people dumb for wondering why Labas hasn't even seen the field. I think it's pretty dense not to wonder given the circumstances. It's really a terrible indictment of Brian's ability to prepare QB's to play at this level.

Last edited:
To be fair, passing was the wise move given minnesotas packing the box all game. The error was the play selection imo, not necessarily the 28 passes.
Throwing the ball 28 times when you have a QB and overall passing game as poor as Iowa’s is never a “wise move.” You have to get more creative with the run game. Problem is our offensive coaches aren’t the least bit creative, much less wise.

Reactions: littlez and nelly02
Of course it’s relative, but relatively speaking, he was the best QB of the BF OC era by miles. Stanley was, at minimum, a competent QB. He spent time on NFL practice squad. He had limitations, was far from perfect and was certainly never all-conference, but he could read a D and go make a play sometimes.
Yup. Having a competent game manager like Nate would be a major upgrade. He'd still struggle with the bad O-line and lack of wr talent as well as the injuries to preferred TE targets.
You could probably count on one hand the times that Nate made a play, meaning doing something positive completely off script, during his career. He was not what one would call a playmaker in the scope of D1 qbs. But, I'll give you that in comparison he'd be a major upgrade from what we've seen at Iowa in the years since he left.

Is this a serious reply?

Who received first team reps during bowl prep and started said bowl game against Kentucky last year?
Labas didn't light the world on fire, but he certainly didn't stink the place up against a tough Kentucky D. That was also his first, and only, start.

This staff's refusal to even try Labas (or Lainez, for that matter) when turnovers have always been Kirk's #1 no-no, is beyond any logical reasoning. This isn't Stanzi throwing 4 INT's in a single game but bouncing back with big plays each time...this is a QB who has no business starting at Iowa.

"u dmb" :rolleyes:

Throwing the ball 28 times when you have a QB and overall passing game as poor as Iowa’s is never a “wise move.” You have to get more creative with the run game. Problem is our offensive coaches aren’t the least bit creative, much less wise.
You also have to be more creative passing as well. with how they were packing the box. Things like slant passes, or go routes off of play fakes should have been simple enough, but slant passes in particular seem to have vanished from the playbook.

Well if he isn’t getting any reps then that is pretty stupid because he is one play away from playing. Hill sucks, jfc why can’t you admit it? No coach in the country other than KF would stick with this guy and not give any snaps to another qb. As far as getting reps in practice, it’s time to give those to someone else as well.

Well if he isn’t getting any reps then that is pretty stupid because he is one play away from playing. Hill sucks, jfc why can’t you admit it? No coach in the country other than KF would stick with this guy and not give any snaps to another qb. As far as getting reps in practice, it’s time to give those to someone else as well.

During the regular season it’s difficult to really divy up reps like most of us would want, especially after the injuries we sustained on offense. I’d dearly love to sit in on a practice or two to observe what Labas and lainez do that there’s apparently a clear gap between them and Hill, although presumably they’d have seen a few more first team reps during the bye.

It’s as if they don’t at all recognize the simplicity and success in the other side of the ball.

Through 9 weeks, Deacon Hill ranks 130th out of 130 QBs in both completion percentage to yards per game. A feat never before accomplished by an Iowa QB. Meanwhile, of the 129 starters better than Hill, TWELVE are freshmen who are throwing for at least 142 yards per game (50 yards more than Hill) with completion percentages above 59% (20% better than Hill). Obviously, in this day and age, it doesn't matter what year a QB is in school. If he has talent, he will go out there and make plays.

Today at Kirk's press conference, when faced with a question regarding Hill's abysmal performance, Kirk justified sticking with hill due to ball security being his biggest concern. He said that despite the fact that Hill also ranks 130 out of 130 in turnover potential. Pretty mind blowing when you think about it and a big slap in the face to fans and players alike.

Kirk said there is a clear pecking order in Iowa's QB room. Ball security was the most important attribute. "Deacon Hill is the clear #1 and it's not even close." In fact, he said there's a huge drop off between Hill and Joey Labas. And then there's the terrifying part...Labas is substantially better than Iowa's freshmen hope for the future, Tony Racioppi trained Marco Lainez. YIKES. What does being last on Iowa's depth chart say about Lainez? What does it say about Iowa's ability to compete in the upgraded Big 10 for years to come?

Statistically, Iowa's starting QB is the worst in college football. It can then be deduced that both backups are worse than the worst starting QB in college football.

Looking ahead, it sounds like Iowa will be relying on the transfer portal at QB each and every year going forward because no one QB on the roster deserves to be playing Big 10 football.
That's just scary. Thing is, KF and company recruited these guys. They've coached these guys. If that's how it is... It's a major indictment on this coaching staff.

Reactions: sober_teacher
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT