ADVERTISEMENT

Just How Bad Must Lainez Be?

didn’t Padilla have an offer from Georgia?
i remember Nate said there is no QB development at Iowa, only Xs and Os.
maybe we get good QB recruits but do not develop them to their potential.
of course, competent WRs also would help

Last edited:
I don't think it says anything about the kids talent at all. I would advise him to gtfo while he can.

He's probably making too many mistakes and that is how the head guy judges QBs. He is risk adverse. Every game they coach is going to be controlled and tight. He has no interest in being aggressive on offense.
Hill makes almost nothing BUT mistakes.

Hill makes almost nothing BUT mistakes.
yes..but he believes he will make the least amount in a game. He believes that from what he sees in practice or whatever.

I'm not saying he is right. I'm just saying I wouldn't say the freshman sucks because he's not playing. I'm saying head guy has a F up way of judging QBs.

Reactions: rolfey and 83Hawk
Johnny was making big $$$ as a QB there in college. Set it up to funnel through his Grandpa who played the part of a rich oil man. Total fraud, but he was great!
That has nothing to do with his on field performance. Nobody cares.

At some point, people are going to become smart enough to stop blaming the OC’s and realize they’re all under the same controlling figure that is KF. You can argue his results, special teams, defense and players going to the NFL. None of us were willing to put up with this atrocious and Kirk was. Whether that’s worth putting up with his bs is the debate, will be curious to see what happens this offseason

Reactions: Stoopsbrother
Deacon effing Hill is his reasoning to start Lainez
Yall have no clue do you? Labas been hurt missed all spring and fall ball, thus hill got all the #2 reps. Lainez was planned to redshirt since day 1 bc of Cade, so he’s had 0 game prep reps. Yall really that dumb?? you can’t understand how it works at this level. Jfc some of you on here just throw out the dumbest shit I’ve ever heard that completely shows your cluelessness and incompetence of how D1 fball works.

At some point, people are going to become smart enough to stop blaming the OC’s and realize they’re all under the same controlling figure that is KF. You can argue his results, special teams, defense and players going to the NFL. None of us were willing to put up with this atrocious and Kirk was. Whether that’s worth putting up with his bs is the debate, will be curious to see what happens this offseason
KF is a pro style off guy.. r u that dumb? U think he should try to coach something he has never done before? That’s not going to change, only a moron would. But he sure the he’ll doesn’t call the plays or tell the OC when to pass and run. He gives a game
Prep opinion like most. Jfc.

Yeah, but this conversation is a broken record. Name one quarterback who has looked decent with Brian as the position coach. There isn’t one. Petras? Nope. Padilla? Nope. Labas? 14-24 139 yards 1 TD in the bowl game. Pedestrian, but agreed he’s the best we’ve seen (sadly). Cade? Nope. Deacon? Atrocious.

Really doesn’t matter much. But, yeah, Kirk is Kirk and wouldn’t change quarterbacks without a broken bone or limb loss. Kirk is and always will be incompetent in the way of recruiting/developing quarterbacks. His system clearly isn’t “QB friendly,” either, so no matter whom you throw back there, Tom Brady or Brucee from The Longest Yard, the results will be pretty much the same.

It’s just time for the next chapter in Iowa football.
The next chapter isn’t happening soon. Brian is around until the end of the season, after that Kirk is around for as long as he wants. Better hope Labas plays and is at least decent.

I had hope for Deacon (and still do) but it truly is confusing that he's that much better than the other guys. I thought I remembered from Deacon's interview that he didn't think any team was going to pick him in the portal. So Iowa gets the one guy that no one wants. I'm ok with that if he's the backup but he's not. I just don't understand how a guy comes in new from the portal and no one wants him, and then he's magically the #2 QB. I know Labas was hurt at some point but if he's healthy he or someone needs to get a chance. Now we'll find out if BF will just continue with BAU or maybe take some risks since he knows he's done.

I was talking to Nate Stanley the other day and he knows Lainez pretty well and he thought that Lainez would development nicely and had good things to say about him.

Our QB's have zero coaching guidance or developmental help from within our program.

Secretariat may have never won a race without the help of a great trainer.

Reactions: Hawkeyegeorge12
Yall have no clue do you? Labas been hurt missed all spring and fall ball, thus hill got all the #2 reps. Lainez was planned to redshirt since day 1 bc of Cade, so he’s had 0 game prep reps. Yall really that dumb?? you can’t understand how it works at this level. Jfc some of you on here just throw out the dumbest shit I’ve ever heard that completely shows your cluelessness and incompetence of how D1 fball works.
So Hill has been in the program about nine or ten months and Labas has been here about 3 years. Dipshit.

If I'm remembering correctly, Nate came in briefly when CJ was hurt and completed a long-ish pass play that was our best offense play of the day.

Correct, and if he doesn’t play in that game I believe Iowa would have gone 8-0 in 2020. Would have been Stanley’s senior year had he redshirted in 2016.

Matt Ruhle watched Jeff Sims, an experienced starter, throw 4 picks in two games before switching to something called a Heinrich Haarberg.

I don’t know what it would take, other than injury, to get Deak yanked.
You can do that?

I'll bet their offense got worse, didn't it?

Reactions: SCKCtb93
Trust me. It is a GIANT leap
See OP:

“Through 9 weeks, there are currently TWELVE freshmen QBs in division 1 football starting for their teams and throwing for at least 142 yards per game. There are ELEVEN freshmen QBs with completion percentages above 59%. In this day and age, it doesn't matter what year a QB is in school. If he has talent, he will go out there and make plays. The decent QBs rarely stick around 4 years anymore, and top 30 or so get drafted each year.”

It’s not nearly as big of a deal as KF would make it out to be. The thing is to get them experience early in the season against lesser teams. It is harder to break in a freshman mid season.

Reactions: SCKCtb93
I had hope for Deacon (and still do) but it truly is confusing that he's that much better than the other guys. I thought I remembered from Deacon's interview that he didn't think any team was going to pick him in the portal. So Iowa gets the one guy that no one wants. I'm ok with that if he's the backup but he's not. I just don't understand how a guy comes in new from the portal and no one wants him, and then he's magically the #2 QB. I know Labas was hurt at some point but if he's healthy he or someone needs to get a chance. Now we'll find out if BF will just continue with BAU or maybe take some risks since he knows he's done.
Jon B wanted him (recruited him to Wisky, IIRC).

Jon B is also a gift from heaven (paraphrasing what Kirk said a year or so ago).

Between Kirk, Brian, and Jon...we're all witnessing the nightmare that they themselves refuse to acknowledge or correct. It's incredibly frustrating as a fan.

I don't think it says anything about the kids talent at all. I would advise him to gtfo while he can.

He's probably making too many mistakes and that is how the head guy judges QBs. He is risk adverse. Every game they coach is going to be controlled and tight. He has no interest in being aggressive on offense.
Based on Kirk's past, the backups could be Jalen Hurts and Josh Allen. Kirk has chosen, he won't budge, barring injury.

Reactions: sabula
Psst… Cade was also hurt for spring and fall ball but was named the starting QB nonetheless

How many 1 or 2 reps did Labas get before the bowl game? A few weeks? Labas has been getting no. 2 reps for sometime. Are ya’ll that effing stupid,Stupid?

Psst… Cade was also hurt for spring and fall ball but was named the starting QB nonetheless
Yup. As he will be next year as well. Returning as the same immobile QB protecting a compromised physical status with limited practice time and zero game speed reps to sharpen up. Not a knock on Cade btw, just reality. Hopefully, the AD acting with BF sets the tone for a different approach to BAU.

Reactions: Bierhalter
KF is a pro style off guy.. r u that dumb? U think he should try to coach something he has never done before? That’s not going to change, only a moron would. But he sure the he’ll doesn’t call the plays or tell the OC when to pass and run. He gives a game
Prep opinion like most. Jfc.
What is dumb is to keep doing the same offense with no changes over and over with no results, you dont have to change the entire offense but can tweak it so the offense is not so predictable.

Reactions: Hawkfan_08
I am convinced he would rather try to grind out games with a shitty QB like Hill so that next year he can go back to Cade. If they bring in Labas and he does well, then you have a QB controversy going into next season and he wants to avoid that. Cade is their guy now no matter what.

Reactions: Fan In Black
Maybe it should be simplified then, if for no other reason then to have more options if the need arises. My real guess is in practice Labas and Lainez throw a lot of picks. Hill doesn’t. That decides it all… no exceptions…
Hill doesnt throw interceptions because his passes are largely uncatchable for anybody on the playing field. Sidelines and lower tier seats getting alot of receptions however.

If only there were alternatives to Hill that either ran faster or completed higher percentage of passes.
I get arguing for Labas. I beat that dead horse all the time.

Lainez is a freshman. No freshman will ever play QB for KF.

That is KF's problem---he made up his mind 25 years ago on how to coach the offense/handle QBs and it is dogma.

It is kind of ironic that if KF/BF had changed up the offense 3 years ago, installed Cooper in as a dual threat QB we might now be in an alternate universe. It probably would have saved BF's job and career and we might have had one of the best Iowa teams ever last year when the Defense was so stout and we just needed a pulse in the offense.

I think KF sticks with HIll because even though the OL isn't great and Hill has the worst QBR passing rating in the nation, at least he's mobile and can improvise when protection breaks down......that is sarcasm.

If only there were alternatives to Hill that either ran faster or completed higher percentage of passes.

That is KF's problem---he made up his mind 25 years ago on how to coach the offense/handle QBs and it is dogma.

It is kind of ironic that if KF/BF had changed up the offense 3 years ago, installed Cooper in as a dual threat QB we might now be in an alternate universe. It probably would have saved BF's job and career and we might have had one of the best Iowa teams ever last year when the Defense was so stout and we just needed a pulse in the offense.

I think KF sticks with HIll because even though the OL isn't great and Hill has the worst QBR passing rating in the nation, at least he's mobile and can improvise when protection breaks down......that is sarcasm.

Thank goodness you put the last part. It's seriously crazy that Hill has had so many games and keeps getting worse! The offensive line is hot garbage but you would think that would put an emphasis on shorter routes and getting the ball out quicker. Hill is TERRIBLE at reading the defense and those quick throws. But alas...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT