QChawks

HR King
Feb 11, 2013
Quad Cities
get your loved one a bridges of the QC tshirt

BridgesoftheQuadCitiesRAYGUNFolded_440x.jpg

Or my personal favorite

9401701dcbfb55b10028c89456c8838e.jpg

There should be a historical bridges of the QC shirt, including the first bridge to cross the Mississippi that was originally surveyed by Robert E Lee and involved a court case with Abraham Lincoln as a lawyer.

Reactions: torbee and goldmom
I like the bridge one. Very engineering oriented.
Interesting you note that.

1. The Government Bridge was one of the first-ever 360-degree swingspans built in America:

The bridge is also historically significant because it was designed by Ralph Modjeski. It was the first major bridge that he was chief engineer for. In the 20th Century Ralph Modjeski became a famous bridge engineer and designed some of the greatest bridges in the country. Even many large bridges that he did not design directly would still be influenced by him since engineers would hire him as a consultant to review their plans. This bridge is therefore significant becuase it represents the beginning of an important bridge engineer's career. The mechanical aspects of the bridge were designed by Byron B. Carter who worked for Modjeski. This is also noteworthy because Carter was along with Modjeski one of the three consulting engineers who recommended the fixed trunnion type of bascule bridge to the City of Chicago a general design that was soon after adopted by many communities across the country.

2. The River Drive Pedestrian bridge won several architectural awards for its unique design:

Out of over 70 entries, the Davenport Skybridge won the Merit Award in the projects less than $15 million category. Davenport will be presented with the IDEAS award at 11 a.m. Thursday at the Skybridge.
The IDEAS awards program is held annually by the American Institute of Steel Construction, AISC. National and merit awards are given in three categories based on the construction value: projects which cost less than $15 million; projects $15-$75 million and projects $75 million or greater.

This year, 11 cities received IDEAS awards, including Seattle, San Jose, Calif., Boston, and Chattanooga, Tenn.
The Davenport Skybridge "represents the best in design and engineering work across the country, said Roger Ferch, AISC president.”... Davenport's award-winning team proved just how creative, innovative, economical and impactful steel structures can be."

Since its June 2005 opening, an estimated 40,000-plus visitors have visited the Davenport Skybridge, according to Charlotte Morrison, Quad Cities Convention and Visitors Bureau vice president of marketing and communications.

3. Jus recently, the new I-74 bridge won a GLOBAL competition for structural engineering excellence:

The Interstate 74 bridge over the Mississippi River was recognized with a Structural Engineering Excellence Award in a worldwide competition.

The I-74 bridge was selected as an "Outstanding Project" in the "New Bridges or Transportation Structures" category by the National Council of Structural Engineers Associations.

There should be a historical bridges of the QC shirt, including the first bridge to cross the Mississippi that was originally surveyed by Robert E Lee and involved a court case with Abraham Lincoln as a lawyer.
I personally find that a way cool factoid.
QC has four bridges but I live in Jacksonville where we have SEVEN bridges.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT