ADVERTISEMENT

Just re-read Jaws

For the first time since the 70s when it first came out. I'd forgotten that Hooper bangs Brody's wife and the shark eats him.

Watching the movie 100 times had erased the book from my memory. A good read tho.

Edit: No spoiler for a 50 year old book.
Reading it as a 14 year old boy, Brody banging Hooper’s wife was more engrained in my memory than the shark.

I think I was around 12 or so and we were on a family vacation on a big lake. I read that book there and when we would go out in the lake like we did every day with goggles and fins and floats etc, I can remember thinking something huge was down there. I knew it was freshwater, but I expected something huge to appear any minute.

For the first time since the 70s when it first came out. I'd forgotten that Hooper bangs Brody's wife and the shark eats him.

Watching the movie 100 times had erased the book from my memory. A good read tho.

I'd forgotten that the shark got him, but remembered the adultery.

Reading it as a 14 year old boy, Brody banging Hooper’s wife was more engrained in my memory than the shark.
Other way around. Hooper was banging Brody’s wife. And I seem to recall the mayor having mob ties or something.

One of those few instances where the movie is better - and in this case, far better - than the book. But I did enjoy the book when I read it in the early 70's.

Karma is a bitch. See, in the movie he doesn’t bang Brody’s wife and he lives. :)

Just a note, Hooper was supposed to get eaten in the movie. The shark tearing apart the cage caused them to rewrite the script because it was easier to do that then to reshoot the shark footage

Reactions: Kinnick.At.Night
Interesting, I’d never heard that about Hooper and chief’s wife in the book. Any description or excerpts of said banging?

• Haha
Reactions: HawCory
I enjoyed most of his novels. Good beach reads.

Speaking of books you shouldn't read in certain circumstances, I was home sick back in the early 90s and decided to read Stephen King's, "The Stand"...

This was the novel about a lab-created disease that wipes out 99 percent of humanity.

The first few chapters describe how the disease transmitted from person to person to person. One particularly colorful passage described a guy eating at a diner and leaving a $1 tip that was "crawling with death." And of course, King described the flu-like symptoms that rapidly lead to death in graphic detail.

Again, I was reading this while home sick experiencing all the symptoms King wrote about (except for the death part).

I thought about that novel a lot when the COVID shitstorm happened.

Last edited:
Reactions: seminoleed
Speaking of books you shouldn't read in certain circumstances, I was home sick back in the early 90s and decided to read Stephen King's "The Stand"...

This was the novel about a lab-created disease that wipes out 99 percent of humanity.

The first few chapters describe how the disease transmitted from person to person to person. One particularly colorful passage described a guy eating at a diner and leaving a $1 tip that was "crawling with death." And of course, King described the flu-like symptoms that rapidly lead to death in graphic detail.

Again, I was reading this while home sick experiencing all the symptoms King wrote about (except for the death part).

How long were you sick? That's a long ass book. I consider it his best work, although I don't think the supernatural aspect was necessary. It's gripping enough simply being about Captain Trips and world chaos.

Speaking of books you shouldn't read in certain circumstances, I was home sick back in the early 90s and decided to read Stephen King's, "The Stand"...

The passage that has stuck with me since I read it back in college was when Stu was climbing out of the ravine where the bridge had collapsed. He grabs at the asphalt of the road as he gets to the top and "one fingernail peeled off like a wet decal".

And it's best in its original, edited version, IMO. The stuff King added when he released HIS version was distracting. Editors exist for a reason, Stephen.

Last edited:
Reactions: BelemNole

Ha, when I was in high school, I was home alone one evening & was reading Helter Skelter (the book about the Manson family murders). When the family was outside getting ready for one of the attacks (I think it was the Tate murders), there's some very detailed text of a dog barking like crazy & a man shushing the dog. Right as I was reading that part, the %$!$^% neighbor's German Shepherd starts going nuts barking at something.

I ended up grabbing dad's pistol and the biggest butcher knife we had in the kitchen, and sitting in a corner of an interior room for the next couple of hours waiting for my parents to get home. I wasn't going out without a fight. :mad:

For me, that book is King's Magnum Opus. I can't remember how many times I've sat down and re-read that thing, and I still get goose bumps every time.

And both movie versions were fairly faithful to the original text, especially the second one.

Reactions: BelemNole
The pirate one was The Island. I've looked in a couple of libraries but can't find it. I remember it being pretty good.
When you can't find what you're looking for at the libraries, this site will send you a copy, usually in great condition, at a cheap price.

Reactions: pink shizzle
For me, that book is King's Magnum Opus. I can't remember how many times I've sat down and re-read that thing, and I still get goose bumps every time.

And both movie versions were fairly faithful to the original text, especially the second one.
Really? I thought the first one with Gary Sinese was more faithful to the book. The second one had that weird ending where one of the characters fell down a well. It was odd.

I feel the only movie that was literally faithful to the text was The Green Mile. In fact, I'm not sure that the movie script wasn't made into the book.

That's the thing about King books; while they are great reads, they typically don't translate well to the big screen.

the King short story that makes the hair on my neck stand up is 1408. I don't know why. That story creeps me the F out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT