ADVERTISEMENT

Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse - California reparations committee calls for ending cash bail, no longer prosecuting low-level crimes.

Are you capable of speaking in terms that aren't 100% or 0%? A lot of wild jumping to conclusions here that are wildly incorrect. But then again, wildly incorrect is where you seem to spend most of your time. Please tell me where anyone has even insinuated that rich people are going out on crime sprees when they aren't in jail because of bail. Of course you can't, because no one did. Of course, the real issue is the belief that poor people are doing exactly that.

Wow, actual data. I don't have the time to look into this right now but your whole post would have been better served by leading with this. Instead you opened up with a bunch of opinionated BS so most people probably never even got to this part of your post.
I always deal in factual information however my intellectual level is above most on this board thus most can’t understand my posts.

You libs are hilarious in your belief in what constitutes "rich", plenty of poor white and poor black people are able to afford bail. Middle class non wealthy people are able to raise bail. Do you actually believe rich people go out and have crime sprees and thus support your claim that gangs of rich people are committing crimes and getting out of bail.

And yes it does mean that dangerous criminals are released to commit additional crimes.

As an example:
In June of this year, in an effort to provide some transparency on the $0 bail policies and associated data, and to better inform ongoing legislative discussions on the issue, the Yolo County District Attorney’s office conducted an analysis of $0 bail and rearrests. Recent criminal histories of the 595 individuals released on $0 bail in Yolo County were reviewed for any new arrests in the state of California. Of the 595 individuals released, 420 were rearrested (70.6%) and 123 (20% of the overall number or 29% of those rearrested) were arrested for a crime of violence. The crimes of violence included murder, attempted murder, kidnapping, robbery, carjacking, and domestic violence.

WTF is "Yoloda"?

were arrested for a crime of violence. The crimes of violence included murder, attempted murder, kidnapping, robbery, carjacking, and domestic violence.
Those are not crimes that cashless bail is an eligible option.

So, this looks like lots more bullshit here.

Reactions: Rudedolph
I always deal in factual information however my intellectual level is above most on this board thus most can’t understand my posts.
giphy.gif

On Jan. 1, a landmark New York law curtailing the use of cash bail went into effect, signaling a leap in a nationwide movement to reduce the number of people held in jails.

But after less than a week under the new system, elected officials are already having second thoughts, rattled by stories of suspects' being set free and committing new crimes ─ including that of a woman accused of an anti-Semitic attack in New York City.

Across the state, opponents of the new law have publicized cases of suspects set free ─ a serial bank robber, a repeat burglar, a man accused of manslaughter, an alleged hit-and-run drunk driver ─ which they say demonstrate how doing away with bail allows dangerous criminals to remain on the streets. Perhaps the most notorious case is that of Tiffany Harris, a Brooklyn woman who was released after she was alleged to have hit three Jewish women in a bias attack, only to be arrested the next day and accused of an assault on another woman.

The earlier assault came amid a string of anti-Semitic incidents in the New York region, including a knife attack at a Hanukkah celebration and a mass shooting at a kosher grocery store. The incidents focused pressure on elected leaders to do more to fight hate crimes.

Since then, Cuomo, New York Mayor Bill de Blasio and the leader of the state Senate ─ all Democrats who pushed for the new law ─ have said it needs to be changed. Cuomo's office said he supports adding hate crimes to a list of charges for which judges would be permitted to order a suspect held on bail.
I’d like for you to be intellectually honest here. What is the purpose of cash bail? It is not to punish, it is not to prevent crime. The purpose is to ensure people show up for trial. A rich person commits a crime and gets out on bail. A poor person commits the same crime and does not. Why is a system in place that treats the rich and poor differently? The poor man loses his job and his house. His car. The rich man does not.

If a violent person is at risk to offend, they should be held without bail. Cash bail is simply a way to discriminate between rich and poor.

I’d like for you to be intellectually honest here. What is the purpose of cash bail? It is not to punish, it is not to prevent crime. The purpose is to ensure people show up for trial. A rich person commits a crime and gets out on bail. A poor person commits the same crime and does not. Why is a system in place that treats the rich and poor differently? The poor man loses his job and his house. His car. The rich man does not.

If a violent person is at risk to offend, they should be held without bail. Cash bail is simply a way to discriminate between rich and poor.
Never mind that people are being held before being proven guilty, which is a significant part of this issue that's getting overlooked (and/or a reflection of issue ignorance). I mean, I have my suspicions as to why it's so easy for people to forget this important piece of the story — it's because cash bail is a poor person's issue, meaning it's a disproportionately poor black and brown people's issue, meaning there is a prejudgment bias (yes, lingering effects of centuries of racism) that these people are presumed guilty. Presumption of innocence for some, not so much for others.

Those are not crimes that cashless bail is an eligible option.

So, this looks like lots more bullshit here.
You do have a modicum of comprehension don't you?

The article I posted stated that after relesed on cashless bail those same criminals went on to commit crimes and were arrested for a crime of violence. The crimes of violence included murder, attempted murder, kidnapping, robbery, carjacking, and domestic violence.

• Haha

The article I posted stated that after relesed on cashless bail those same criminals went on to commit crimes and were arrested for a crime of violence. The crimes of violence included murder, attempted murder, kidnapping, robbery, carjacking, and domestic violence.
God damn you are dumb as hell. You think this is a good argument. Damn. Lol. Modicum. Sweet word!

Reactions: Joes Place
California is clearly doing well on crime and punishment. Ask San Francisco, so I don't know why you would even question what they are doing

The article I posted stated that after relesed on cashless bail those same criminals went on to commit crimes and were arrested for a crime of violence.

So?

People get pulled over for speeding and "just get a warning", and then go on to drink and drive and kill people in accidents, too.

No one is claiming "it doesn't happen"; but claiming those crimes occurred because of "cashless bail" is utter nonsense.

Reactions: sober_teacher
So?

People get pulled over for speeding and "just get a warning", and then go on to drink and drive and kill people in accidents, too.

No one is claiming "it doesn't happen"; but claiming those crimes occurred because of "cashless bail" is utter nonsense.
Of course those crimes occurred because of the catch and release program also known as cashless bail.

• Haha
Here’s the facts - data shows those out on cashless bail have then committed numerous brutal crimes.

And AGAIN: SO have those out on "regular bail"

Your Google search to try and find "rate comparisons" didn't turn out so good for you, did it?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT