ADVERTISEMENT

Justice Sotomayor making the case it isn't the guns stupid

Gus is dead

HR MVP
Aug 14, 2022
".....the trigger isn't doing anything. Its the person doing something."

Justice Sotomayor

Yes! Correct! Now, I realize that wasnt her point in saying it but she managed to stumble into a fundamental truth along the way nonetheless.

Gun violence is merely a symptom of a profoundly sick and immoral society.

No gun buyback or gun confiscation will ever change that.

Bleeding heart liberals are too stupid to understand this.
Placing the blame on individuals committing crimes and the current state of modern society, raises the question of morality and that raises the question of a declining belief in faith and the practice of religion. The belief in a force greater than oneself and a never ending penalty much more severe than prison. The left just can't allow that train of thought so, they choose to blame the gun rather than the shooter.

We are the only country this happens in regularly.
Yet other countries have a high rate of gun ownership, and gun violence also occurs i countries where guns are banned.

Firearms are a tool. Murders are committed with other tools. Eliminate one tool and another will take it's place. The culture and respect for life (and in general) is deteriorating rapidly in the US.

Yet other countries have a high rate of gun ownership, and gun violence also occurs i countries where guns are banned.

Firearms are a tool. Murders are committed with other tools. Eliminate one tool and another will take it's place. The culture and respect for life (and in general) is deteriorating rapidly in the US.

It does not occur anywhere else like it does here.

Guns are valued over human life by the right. That has been shown time and time again.

Reactions: h-hawk

some are more efficient than others. I'll take my chances a in McDonalds where a mad man walks in with a butcher knife in each hand as opposed to a guy with AR 15 with multi round clips.

88% of the US wants background checks and our government doesn't even have the guts to do that.

".....the trigger isn't doing anything. Its the person doing something."

Justice Sotomayor

Yes! Correct! Now, I realize that wasnt her point in saying it but she managed to stumble into a fundamental truth along the way nonetheless.

If the wrong person doesn't have their finger on the trigger, can they pull it?

A. Yes
B. No
C. I'm not literate.

Shootings. Mass casualty events. They have happened in other countries, but not like we have them.
Yeah, they do, and even worse. You don't get murder rates 5 to 10 times higher without them, but many countries do not count/track events like it's done here. I'm not defending our situation, as it's far too high and too often. I just get tired of people not being perceptive enough to actually believe it's the worst in the world.

Follow-up, here's a map of mass shootings. As I said earlier, most countries have no numbers. For those who do, other countries are equivalent or worse on a per capita basis.

Last edited:
Reactions: Greenway4Prez
88% of the US wants background checks and our government doesn't even have the guts to do that.
Funny thing about that - there a federal form and federal background check that all FFS dealers must comply with, and those dealers are audited regularly, as much as semi-annually.

It’s a really stupid argument that lacks any critical thinking. The guns are the problem regulate them.
I agree 100%.
There are firearms that are designed “to kill” and those weapons should NOT be available to the public. (AR’s for example) That would be a reasonable starting point. I would allow any and all single shot muzzle loaders to be sold to the public, however.

No other country comes close to our rate of gun ownership. We have more guns than people. The US has 120.5 guns per 100 people, the next highest country is Yemen with 52.8 guns per 100 people.

No other country comes close to our rate of gun ownership. We have more guns than people. The US has 120.5 guns per 100 people, the next highest country is Yemen with 52.8 guns per 100 people.
Another flawed statistic. The percentage of households that have guns in them is more meaningful. And it hasn’t moved in 50 years.

Also, a shame that everyone is ignoring @dandh posts in this thread.

Yet our murder rate is less than over 60 other countries. Which should allow the objective thinker to realize that the number of privately owned guns is not the only factor involved.

Last edited:
Another flawed statistic. The percentage of households that have guns in them is more meaningful. And it hasn’t moved in 50 years.

Also, a shame that everyone is ignoring @dandh posts in this thread.
People tend to ignore things that conflict with their ideology, imo. It's one of the reasons I rarely post here any more. Most are completely entrenched and not open to discussion.

It’s not the only factor. I haven’t heard anyone say it was. The purpose of guns is to kill. People don’t hunt or war with sticks knives cars ect ect. It’s the guns regulate them

Yet our murder rate is less than over 60 other countries. Which should allow the objective thinker to realize that the number of privately owned guns is not the only factor involved.
Is that murder rate by guns? Can you provide a link?

Placing the blame on individuals committing crimes and the current state of modern society, raises the question of morality and that raises the question of a declining belief in faith and the practice of religion. The belief in a force greater than oneself and a never ending penalty much more severe than prison. The left just can't allow that train of thought so, they choose to blame the gun rather than the shooter.

Lol....Religion....

The catholic church butt ****ed boys for 2000 years.....

You have nothing.

It does not occur anywhere else like it does here.

Guns are valued over human life by the right. That has been shown time and time again.
I have posted statistic after statistic refuting your claim. I dont have the time to post it again. Do a search on my posting history if accuracy matters to you.

I have posted statistic after statistic refuting your claim. I dont have the time to post it again. Do a search on my posting history if accuracy matters to you.

The claim that you value guns more than life? What data do you have on that?

Its an easily observable value judgement and moral defect you and your ilk have.

I agree 100%.
There are firearms that are designed “to kill” and those weapons should NOT be available to the public. (AR’s for example) That would be a reasonable starting point. I would allow any and all single shot muzzle loaders to be sold to the public, however.
Yeah of course. Because those are less scary looking right?

Tell me what it is about AR style rifles that you find so much worse than other guns?

All firearms are desgned to kill. JFC. The level of actual stupidity on display by some here is unfathomable.

Reactions: Greenway4Prez
The claim that you value guns more than life? What data do you have on that?

Its an easily observable value judgement and moral defect you and your ilk have.
I value being able to keep my gun to keep myself and my family safe more than I value yours or anyone else's, yes. In a world where crime a violence exists at record levels, we cannot afford to make any other value judgements I'm afraid.

I value putting away a criminal for life any crime committed with a gun.

I posted a long post about gun confiscation awhile back. Take a look at that. It lays my position out very nicely.

It is true that you can commit murder with other tools. But few things in the civilian world match the ease of use, lethality, and situational flexibility of a firearm.

For example I'm guessing behind firearm the 2nd most common tool for killing someone would be a knife. But stabbing someone still generally requires some ability to physically overpower a person and stabbing is generally not as deadly as shooting someone.

Any other method of killing someone is either harder to use, not as lethal, or not as situationally flexible as a firearm.

Sure you can kill someone by other means but it's generally not as easy.

Reactions: gohawks50
I value being able to keep my gun to keep myself and my family safe more than I value yours or anyone else's, yes. In a world where crime a violence exists at record levels, we cannot afford to make any other value judgements I'm afraid.

I value putting away a criminal for life any crime committed with a gun.

I posted a long post about gun confiscation awhile back. Take a look at that. It lays my position out very nicely.

There is a better chance you paint one of your walls with one of your kids brains than ever have an intruder

Yeah of course. Because those are less scary looking right?

Tell me what it is about AR style rifles that you find so much worse than other guns?

All firearms are desgned to kill. JFC. The level of actual stupidity on display by some here is unfathomable.
“AR style” guns were designed for the military to replace the old M16 style of Vietnam name weapon...and they were designed specifically to kill and maim human beings. The level of actual stupidity on display by some here, used here to defend their sale to the public is unfathomable.

“AR style” guns were designed for the military to replace the old M16 style of Vietnam name weapon...and they were designed specifically to kill and maim human beings. The level of actual stupidity on display by some here, used here to defend their sale to the public is unfathomable.
Well I agree and disgree. There are a lot of guns out there thaat are carry far more energy yet dont look as 'scary' and dont seem to be on the target list for guns people want outlawed.

So this is not to say that the .223 isnt deadly but the idea promoted by some that this is purely a wanton killing machine compared to other weapons is belied by the actual facts.

Sure Its semi auto that is light and can fire many rounds. But this isnt unique to the AR.

Again, all guns are designed to kill. Period.

If you want no gun deaths then all guns need to be confiscated. All. And since this is an impossibility, we are left with the situation we are in where I need a gun to protect myself from others with guns. Simple.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT