ADVERTISEMENT

Kadyn Proctor explains commitment flip from Iowa to Alabama: 'I felt like I was settling'

Stop. You have NO idea what other peoples financial situation is. That doesn't make them more or less a fan. And frankly if this is now about nothing more then who has the deepest pockets, then there will be a lot less fans involved....
My point is “it is about money” and the only way we can compete is to contribute to Swarm. Secondly if you don’t contribute then don’t bitch about losing recruits.

Proctor is gone, lets hope he is happy at Bma. Hopefully he considered how his family won't be able just to drive a couple hours away to see him play, and the fact that 4 offensive tackles from Bama are in the transfer portal as I am typing. Their has to be a reason, especially since one is a 5* starter. Money? Saban? Kadyn will find out why very soon. ;) But as far as I am concerned, Proctor is deleted from my life, I only care about kids who want to be Hawkeyes. ;)

My point is “it is about money” and the only way we can compete is to contribute to Swarm. Secondly if you don’t contribute then don’t bitch about losing recruits.
Obviously you either didn't understand what I said or you just decided to ignore it. A). If its only about $$ then A LOT less fans will care. B). As fans who care a great deal about our program, I'll be damned if you or anyone else gets to say how much someone else either forks over, or, "shut the hell up". There are people who are life long fans who don't have the disposable income. Maybe their retired, or in financial difficulties of their own. That doesn't mean that YOU get to tell them to be silent! C). Thats just like people who act like if you don't go to games then don't comment. Some people, like myself, work Saturdays and have a 12 hour round trip to go to a game, which makes it pretty much impossible. Doesn't mean we're not fans.

Obviously you either didn't understand what I said or you just decided to ignore it. A). If its only about $$ then A LOT less fans will care. B). As fans who care a great deal about our program, I'll be damned if you or anyone else gets to say how much someone else either forks over, or, "shut the hell up". There are people who are life long fans who don't have the disposable income. Maybe their retired, or in financial difficulties of their own. That doesn't mean that YOU get to tell them to be silent! C). Thats just like people who act like if you don't go to games then don't comment. Some people, like myself, work Saturdays and have a 12 hour round trip to go to a game, which makes it pretty much impossible. Doesn't mean we're not fans.
I didn’t create the new FB world we live in but I clearly see it’s all about the $$$. I maintain my stance that if you don’t pony up you shouldn’t open your trap.

who-eminem.gif

Besides, you contribute by helping Greater K.C. recruits consider Iowa. Love the K.C./I.C. pipeline; F@#$ Mizzou.

Reactions: Bishop1971
I didn’t create the new FB world we live in but I clearly see it’s all about the $$$. I maintain my stance that if you don’t pony up you shouldn’t open your trap.
Great. You maintain your stance, and I'll say whatever the hell I want about my team. Capisce?

Reactions: Pawkhawk1
I don't know. Saying something like this doesn't seem like something KF or the fanbase will forget for some time. He literally told everyone he thinks he's too good or bigger than the program. Iowa stubborn comes into effect in situations such as this. Who knows but I think that ship sailed.
Kirk will absolutely not forget it. Iowa is not an option for the Kid going forward and if anyone thinks otherwise they dont have a clue. That was a insult to the program and to the Coaches and frankly to every Player on the Roster

He does seem like a kid that might become homesick. Barnes almost made it sound like it’s still possible someday he ends up at Iowa. I’m sure they wouldn’t turn him down.

Small chance but who knows, people on here act like KP was more important than Cade McNamara which is ridiculous.
Zero chance they take him after claiming “settling” for Iowa and also taking a shot at the kids he was bonding with who signed today. I’m sure they probably don’t have the best feelings towards him either.

Proctor’s commitment to Alabama came amid speculation of a lucrative NIL (name-image-likeness) deal the school put together to woo him. He said Wednesday that’s not what convinced him to flip his commitment to Alabama. He said it was about the resources Alabama had and the opportunities that playing for the Crimson Tide provided.

“It’s not about the money because if people knew about the money situation, they wouldn’t be talking about it,” Proctor said. “But I wanted to go play football at a prestigious school. (There’s) a lot of competition down there and ultimately it’s going to make me better.”

IOWA FOOTBALL

Kadyn Proctor explains commitment flip from Iowa to Alabama: 'I felt like I was settling'​

Tommy Birch
Hawk Central

Southeast Polk's Kadyn Proctor (74) plays against Cedar Rapids Prairie on Oct. 7 in Pleasant Hill.'s Kadyn Proctor (74) plays against Cedar Rapids Prairie on Oct. 7 in Pleasant Hill.

At 7 a.m. Wednesday, two and a half hours before his signing day ceremony at Southeast Polk High School, Kadyn Proctor gathered with his mother and stepdad in their Altoona home to quietly but officially take the next step in his football career.
The letter of intent papers for Alabama arrived in the mail Tuesday. Proctor signed them, snapped some photos and fired off some texts to members of the coaching staff to let them know his commitment was a done deal.
“Then, I’m not going to lie, I went back to bed,” Proctor said with a smile.
Proctor could finally breathe a sigh of relief. The high school football star, one of the most coveted players in the nation, was now a part of the Crimson Tide program. The signature, the snapshots and the symbolic ceremony that took place later in the morning in front of friends, family and teammates in the Southeast Polk auditorium ended an eventful recruitment of the star offensive tackle.

“It’s been somewhat stressful,” his mother, Sarah Proctor-Perkins, said of the last few days.
It's been a wild ride for the 6-foot-7, 330-pound offensive lineman, who has long been heralded as one of the top players in the state and nation. He drew scholarship offers from seemingly all the big names, including Arkansas, Auburn, Florida, Nebraska, Notre Dame, Alabama, Oregon and Ole Miss.

Proctor, listed by 247Sports as a five-star recruit and the nation’s top offensive tackle, committed to Iowa back in June. He was viewed as a Day 1 starter and the biggest name in the Hawkeyes' 2023 recruiting class.
That didn’t stop teams from trying to change Proctor's mind. NFL Hall of Famer Deion Sanders, who recently took over the Colorado job, offered him a scholarship. Oregon was on hand to watch Proctor guide Southeast Polk to its second-straight state football title in November. Alabama coach Nick Saban visited him on one of the first days he could see recruits.
Proctor visited Alabama this past weekend and was finally swayed to flip his commitment and join the Crimson Tide.
“When I went down there and got to see everything that was laid out for me, I just thought it was a better opportunity for me,” Proctor said.
Here’s a look at some of the other major storylines surrounding Proctor’s change of heart.

Did NIL play a role in Proctor's decision to flip his commitment? He says no​

Proctor’s commitment to Alabama came amid speculation of a lucrative NIL (name-image-likeness) deal the school put together to woo him. He said Wednesday that’s not what convinced him to flip his commitment to Alabama. He said it was about the resources Alabama had and the opportunities that playing for the Crimson Tide provided.
“It’s not about the money because if people knew about the money situation, they wouldn’t be talking about it,” Proctor said. “But I wanted to go play football at a prestigious school. (There’s) a lot of competition down there and ultimately it’s going to make me better.”
Proctor conceded there was money involved, but he wouldn’t say how much Alabama was willing to shell out in NIL dollars to secure his services. Proctor's mother was adamant that things like dorms, team doctors and facilities played a bigger role in his decision to switch his commitment. She said her son was also swayed by the opportunity to play with athletes of his size right out of the gate and help him get to the NFL.
Proctor said Iowa was willing to pony up.
“I’m not getting paid that much (more) as Iowa was going to give me,” he said. “People didn’t know that. But everybody has opinions.”

Proctor says he would have been 'settling' by staying at Iowa​

Proctor said he informed Iowa’s coaching staff of his decision to decommit last week and hinted he had been mulling it over for a bit. He admitted that Iowa’s offensive struggles the last couple of years were part of his thought process but didn’t play a major role. In fact, he liked the idea of coming in and helping change a program. But he figured playing at Alabama could tap into more of his potential.
“I thought I was settling at Iowa and when I went down there (Alabama), I saw all the guys that are as big as me and have the same mindset as me and worked like me," he said. "That’s just what I wanted to do. I don’t want to come into this school and everybody thinks I’m one of the best players there already. I want to grow. That’s not how I grow. I’ve got to get hit in the mouth before I can grow. And I think getting hit in the mouth is the competition (I need)."
During the weekend visit to Alabama, Proctor met with Saban, hung out with some players and watched the Crimson Tide practice for its Sugar Bowl matchup with Kansas State. When he got back to his hotel room Saturday night, he told his mom he wanted to play at Alabama.
“He was all about going to Iowa and I just thought, ‘Are you sure? Are you sure?’” Proctor-Perkins said. “It kind of shocked me.”

The fallout from Proctor's late commitment swap generates social buzz and backlash​

Proctor committed to Saban on Sunday. Word started getting out early in the week that Proctor was potentially flipping to Alabama. The fallout brought loads of criticism as people took to social media to bash the decision. Proctor’s announcement on Twitter on Tuesday was met with a barrage of negativity from people who questioned his loyalty and motives.
“It made me feel bad a little bit but I can’t tune in to that stuff,” he said. “It’s just mind-blowing that 40-year-olds, 50-year-olds are calling me the p-word and saying ‘F-you,’ I’m going to hell and stuff like that. It’s just crazy to hear. But I don’t give in to that stuff because if they were truly an Iowa fan, then they wouldn’t have been talking about that and they would have been happy for me to be going to Alabama and representing the state.”

So I suppose, @ the Sugar Bowl you will be pullin for the
defending%20big%2012%20champs_zpsrnmqmswn.png

Reactions: biggreydogs
Can you imagine the money spent on recruiting him? Basically the whole athletic department for months catering to every wish . Al l the games and visits and trips to see him . Every resource was brought in and boosters to ensure delivery. At least Jerry McGuire got his man at the end.

Serious question- is Ma Proctor going to move to Alabama and live with her boy while all other student athletes are in the dorms Kayden will be living with his mom? Seriously I wouldn’t doubt it as she seems to manage his everything.. on a serious note I hope he does well and makes millions and millions his first year and then realizes the backward ass hillbilly state of Alabama isn’t the right fit and comes back home lol

Reactions: Slappy Pappy
Proctor is gone, lets hope he is happy at Bma. Hopefully he considered how his family won't be able just to drive a couple hours away to see him play, and the fact that 4 offensive tackles from Bama are in the transfer portal as I am typing. Their has to be a reason, especially since one is a 5* starter. Money? Saban? Kadyn will find out why very soon. ;) But as far as I am concerned, Proctor is deleted from my life, I only care about kids who want to be Hawkeyes. ;)
He better be getting plenty of money. Air tickets to the games for the family will cost quite a bit.

BTW when Drew Tate was playing at Iowa his mother Martha only came to 2-3 games a year prior to his senior year. She was a teacher in Baytown schools and could not get off every Friday(let alone the expense) His father came to all the games(it was a hassle). Finally before his senior year Martha and her friend Karen retired. A guy at a game watch knew a bachelor in Clinton who said they could stay in his furnished basement. So they drove up there and went to all the games.

Lol, another crack job by Iowa beat writers asking KF about Proctor today... way to dig in guys. But hey, at least you didn't make him mad.

Embarrassing.

Thanks for attempting to make all of us(random strangers) Saturdays a bit more happy

Can you imagine the money spent on recruiting him? Basically the whole athletic department for months catering to every wish . Al l the games and visits and trips to see him . Every resource was brought in and boosters to ensure delivery. At least Jerry McGuire got his man at the end.
Booster $ has very little play in this space….tv money is marginalizing donor(not capital) and the ticket buyer

Exactly, this is all he had to say. Saban is his ambassador of quan, and it's good for the family. His handlers need to do a better job of coaching this young man.

Instead he's telling us he's going back to Bama for the doctors, dorms, and drills against big people? (call it the Proctor version of Biggie Smalls "Going back to Cali strictly for the weather, women, and the weed").
He’s better hope he doesn’t get a serious injury because Saban has a long history of revoking injured players scholarships to make room for the next 5 star players coming in.

I for one am glad that he said what he said. If I were the offensive coaches I would certainly use that for motivation to the players that KP said were not competition, were too small, etc. Don't ever underestimate the power of a unifying message and the message the KP sent was gold plated.

He’s better hope he doesn’t get a serious injury because Saban has a long history of revoking injured players scholarships to make room for the next 5 star players coming in.
I haven't tried to find it, but I remember a few years ago, maybe 6-8, where I saw a story that a highly ranked recruit chose Bama over the who's who list of offers he had. Because it is allowed in the SEC, Bama over-signed their class which mean that they signed more recruits than they had scholly's for. So the kid goes to summer practice and he basically was "cut" and was told they they didn't have a place for him. Because the kid was bound to the LOI that he signed with Bama he of course could not go back and accept any of the other offers he had, so his only recourse was to go to a community college and pay his own way. This was before the portal so he then had to sit out a year to be able to play anywhere else. It was a mess for sure and I am not sure how it played out. But after seeing that I was really proud to say that my team does not do that to players and there have been many instances where KF did not have to honor a scholarship to someone because they got hurt at any time after committing. Then the garbage programs in the SEC do stuff like that and I am like why in the world would any parent send their kid to something like that.

I would bet about anything I had that whatever NIL and scholarship that was offered to KP would have been honored no matter what happens to him. If the kid had a freak injury in spring practice and could no longer play football he would have been taken care of in many ways, everything KF has ever done points to that. I would also bet that if this kid has that same injury at Bama that his NIL is cut off and he is off the team and scholly revoked. Both coaches and programs have been at this game a long time and there is no reason to believe anything other than their own actions over their entire careers. Blows me away that they can get away with it.

I'm ok with him going to Bama, I just wish he would not have screwed Iowa with the decommit the day before signing period.... He should have not committed to the Hawks until he knew he was sure he would want to be here for the right reasons...
He said he told the coaches last week

That interview simply demonstrates he is an immature 18 year old. Which is fine. 18 year old kids are immature. You can clearly see and hear the what the Bama recruiters have been dishing to him the last few months. He fell for it along with $1mil.
Well it is what it is. Sadly, Bama will still compete for national championships and we will compete for the Big 10 West. I think there are bigger issues for us to address than an immature kid who shunned us and wants a big paycheck.
I had the same feeling about that one Iowa kid years ago who went to Michigan but the fact that I can’t recall his name is telling.

Reactions: Bishop1971
Goddamn some of you are sensitive and a bit delusional. I wish he'd have figured it out sooner but the kid is seventeen and this is Alabama FFS. He never said Iowa or their players were shit, Bama's recruiting prowess right now is legendary

If you really don't think he'd be going up against better talent daily in that program and in that conference that wins most of the nattys and has the most draft picks then you don't have a firm grasp on reality. It sucks to hear from a 17 yr old kid from Pleasant Hill but it's just the truth to anyone being objective and really no knock on Iowa. Most programs have an inferiority complex with Bama because they can pull off moves like this

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT