ADVERTISEMENT

Kadyn Proctor explains commitment flip from Iowa to Alabama: 'I felt like I was settling'

The posters on this thread absolutely crack me up! The hostility supposed Iowa fans are directing to Proctor is uncalled for. I hope he shines at Alabama just to spite all of you! Kadyn, I'm one diehard Iowa fan wishing you nothing but success!
Agree with this for the most part, but lets not pretend that there are not some lessons learned here for Kadyn. The wait down to the 11th hour, the comments about feeling like he was settling (even if true, better kept to your self, rather then burning bridges) and the flaws in his logic and perception (to be expected of a 17/18 year old being led by slick coaches, agents and talent scouts), not understanding he was being sold, handled, manipulated by the late comers to hiss suiting, the best in the business, with their own agenda to fill, not holding his best interests to the highest degree.

But also, he needs to learn and understand the passion of a fan base, those people who are steadfastly loyal to there state, their Alma-mater. Sure, these are traits he may have to a lesser degree, but as a 17-18 yo, he must understand how he fell victim to the Snake Charmer in crimson.

In Alabama, Kadyn will be one of a multitude of 4 Star and 5 Star players, who will not receive any special attention or treatment from the Bahama staff. He will have to sink or swim, fight his way on his own and learn how to manage his own development going forward. If this is what he expected as a "hit in the mouth" then good for him but, I don't think he will find he gets everything he feels he was promised. I hope I am wrong

If he would have picked the Hawks, a team who has the 1st/2nd best 2023 recruiting class in the West, top Transfer Portal class as well, they are still a favorite to win the B1G West in 2023, have a god chance at competing with Michigan/PSU/OSU for the league title, and a fair chance at making the CFP.

In the end, each school has a legitimate claim to offering similar reward potential and experiences (although I suspect several here disagree) over Kadyn's next 3 years in college football. With the pace of departues to the Portal and the NFL and missed CFPs and lost SEC title shots. I am not sure what superior Legacy can be claimed by Bahama.

Despite their performance in 2022, with this years recruit, our o-line and offensive scheme will improve, we will put a few more into the NFL joining O-linemen like Sheriff, Daniels, Wirfs, Linderbaum along with Kittle, Hockenson, Fant, not to mention several solid defenders making their mark in the NFL, all who did not feel they were settling in the least, something Kadyn could have enjoyed with special attention and care, practicing against a top 10 Defensive line every day, All this at Iowa while being closer to home/family and widely loved if not exalted by his fellow Iowan's and the loyal Hawkeye Nation throughout the country.

But all agree, his choice, his decision, only time will tell. Wish him all the best.

Last edited:

"Kadyn Proctor explains commitment flip from Iowa to Alabama: 'I felt like I was settling'"​

And that comment tells me everything I need to know about him. Proctor never had what it takes to be a true Hawkeye in his heart and soul. There will be other multi-star O linemen recruits who do. Bring 'em on. GO HAWKS!
My initial thoughts were envy because of playing for a proven OL coach ( Ferentz) with NFL connections, but as I reflect on the $ amount, I’m sure he can survive a couple years and collect millions regardless of what the future . Time to rock on !

iowa hasn’t exactly looked outstanding on o line so he has a reason to be concerned we would develop him as we did previous nfl players. But yeah trying to explain last minute flips like this are never going come across well. Just let it lie and don’t get into reasons you didn’t choose someone else.
I guess my take is that Proctor would probably develop faster at Iowa due to probably being in the starting lineup as a Hawkeye as opposed to Alabama. Also, isn’t an o-lineman developed by going up against the d-line & Iowa has a good d-line to push a guy like Proctor. Just my two cents.

Reactions: Bishop1971
He said this summer big schools were offering $1 million; is he trying to get us to believe the amount is now less?

I don't believe a word out of his mouth and the more I hear him talk, and about his family, the more I'm fine with his choice not to attend my alma mater.
Yeah, the more I hear & learn about Kadyn, I’m fine with him not being a Hawkeye.

“It’s just mind-blowing that 40-year-olds, 50-year-olds are calling me the p-word and saying ‘F-you,’ I’m going to hell and stuff like that. It’s just crazy to hear.”

Seeing a lot of that on these boards lol. Go get that chedda KP
However, the long-term ”chedda” is from NFL $, which Iowa certainly could have trained him for well.

Proctor is gone, lets hope he is happy at Bma. Hopefully he considered how his family won't be able just to drive a couple hours away to see him play, and the fact that 4 offensive tackles from Bama are in the transfer portal as I am typing. Their has to be a reason, especially since one is a 5* starter. Money? Saban? Kadyn will find out why very soon. ;) But as far as I am concerned, Proctor is deleted from my life, I only care about kids who want to be Hawkeyes. ;)
My sentiments excatly. Don't care anymore, Move on and I will watch the same number of Bama games as I used to. (zero, I tend to boycott the CFP) He may be a day three guy. His feet aren't that great and lacks snap.
If I see him the mall I would say to myself... "Who's that tall guy" Nevermind, I need a pretzel.

Reactions: intrepodor
Goddamn some of you are sensitive and a bit delusional. I wish he'd have figured it out sooner but the kid is seventeen and this is Alabama FFS. He never said Iowa or their players were shit, Bama's recruiting prowess right now is legendary

If you really don't think he'd be going up against better talent daily in that program and in that conference that wins most of the nattys and has the most draft picks then you don't have a firm grasp on reality. It sucks to hear from a 17 yr old kid from Pleasant Hill but it's just the truth to anyone being objective and really no knock on Iowa. Most programs have an inferiority complex with Bama because they can pull off moves like this
No, I honestly don’t think he will be going up against better d-line competition on a daily basis or in game action.

Agree. He's 18. I'd be willing to bet if most of us went back and revisited things we said when we were 18 it wouldn't be as articulate, composed, tactful, well thought out, etc., as some are expecting KP to be.
True, but the rest of us weren’t a supposed top football recruit being interviewed by the press. Proctor needs some PR training.

Last edited:
True, but the rest of us weren’t a supposed top football recruit being interviewed by the press. Proctor needs some PR training.
Yeah that's kind of my point. I was an idiot at 17, as were I'm guessing most guys on this board. And that was without a mic in my face and the country paying attention to me. But just because KP is an elite recruit, he's supposed to be way more articulate, composed, etc. than we were at his age? Please.

Reactions: mrcyfan
Serious question- is Ma Proctor going to move to Alabama and live with her boy while all other student athletes are in the dorms Kayden will be living with his mom? Seriously I wouldn’t doubt it as she seems to manage his everything.. on a serious note I hope he does well and makes millions and millions his first year and then realizes the backward ass hillbilly state of Alabama isn’t the right fit and comes back home lol
He isn't welcome "home" would be my guess.

I actually appreciate that he was willing to share some of his reasons. Him mentioned the offense is telling - I'm guessing that had a bigger impact than he let on. It's sad to me that the offense is having reel impacts on recruiting.
Only the prototypical blind idiot says this with a straight face and actually believes money wasn't a factor.

It will be forgotten in a week. But if he's reading this board the comments will stick with him forever.

I'm sure the Bama coaches planted that little nugget in his brain and he pulled it out when asked the question.

He's a teenager. I don't think he wanted to offend Iowa.
<<He's a teenager. I don't think he wanted to offend Iowa>>

Then he's a dumb teenager who isn't smart enough to keep his mouth shut and count his money. In the mob, those types die young.

I hope football works out for Him because now every Business owner that is a Hawkeye Alum or Fan will be in the position if the Kid or Family puts in a job application to say , Gosh I would love to hire You but I don't want to feel like I am settling .
I suspect he will have enough scratch to start his own business if he so chooses

I suspect that NIL deal has a performance clause and/or conditions before any substantial money is paid out. Real life comes hard and fast and stars don't count.
With the competition for his services, I doubt there were any performance clauses included. Why would he agree to any, especially since the funds are an inducement to sign?

Yeah that's kind of my point. I was an idiot at 17, as were I'm guessing most guys on this board. And that was without a mic in my face and the country paying attention to me. But just because KP is an elite recruit, he's supposed to be way more articulate, composed, etc. than we were at his age? Please.
Ok...I see your point.

Anyone know how much he got paid? I know he said it wasn't about the $$, and he didn't like people claiming it was. He could've stopped the speculation by telling how much he got paid. Or he can keep it to himself if he prefers, but then people are going to rightfully speculate that it was about $$.

Reactions: Fran-Con-2
Anyone know how much he got paid? I know he said it wasn't about the $$, and he didn't like people claiming it was. He could've stopped the speculation by telling how much he got paid. Or he can keep it to himself if he prefers, but then people are going to rightfully speculate that it was about $$.
He doesn't owe it to anyone to tell them what he got paid. Are you kidding me? Look, I really wanted him and losing the top offensive tackle in the country from our home state really hurts but let's quit acting like kids about this. He's gone. It would have certainly helped the weakest group we had on the team, let's not kid ourselves. Is what it is.

Reactions: Hendy hawk
He isn't sure what cut Mom was getting.

For their sake I hope they report it for tax purposes. I get the feeling lots of former college athletes are going to be in trouble with the IRS in upcoming years.
And why do people like you keep saying this? You don’t think they probably have a financial advisor?

And why do people like you keep saying this? You don’t think they probably have a financial advisor?
No I think many won’t, an uncle or neighborhood preacher man will be advising the family. You’re talking about 18 year old kids in many instances with 1 parent and a posse of hangers on. That will money disappear faster than a full wine bottle on skid row.

Last edited:
No I think many won’t, an uncle or neighborhood preacher man will be advising the family. You’re talking about 18 year old kids in many instances with 1 parent and a posse of hangers on. That will disappear faster than a full wine bottle on skid row.
WTF.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT