ADVERTISEMENT

Give Lester a chance

The chance was 100% and Lester will be better than BF. Not possible to be worse than 0 to gazillion against ranked opponents. Mediocre but better than BF.

Channel 4 Love GIF by Five Guys A Week

No other top 25 team is Iowa. Iowa needs ball control, no turnovers and win with defense and special teams. Kirk wanted a guy that understands this. We don't need a top 20 offense, top 75 would make us a threat to anyone. Top 50 and we would set all time Iowa standards with the same defense and special teams as the last 2 years.
Iowa needs a functioning offense. Ball control and no turnovers are irrelevant if the offense can’t score. Please stop pretending Kirk’s offense is beneficial to winning games. Iowa wins in spite of its offensive philosophy and execution.

I don’t think anyone is upset with Lester, it’s KF’s selection after three months of knowing he had to replace his son as OC. He had a chance to hire a dynamic OC that has had success over many teams and years of play calling that would of brought a much needed breath of fresh air into the program on the offensive side of the ball that he could use that history to tell skill players we are going to able to run the ball and throw more to wide receivers to improve that room. It would have brought fans together and help get fans to invest in the NIL so they can get those players to come to Iowa. I don’t see those both happening now with this hire. Both recruits and Iowa fans are saying who?!!!

Instead, we got a 70 year old hire the safe choice that will do what he wants and not push his autonomy to run the offense to play to win instead of play not to lose. KF will force his offense on him due to his statements late season saying the offense is fine, no problems with it or the QB. Excuse me? Then to top it off after being shellacked 35-0 in the bowl game, KF doubled down on his offense, qb, then threw out the “It’s complicated” when talking about his enemic offense. He’s still butt hurt about his son being fired in season by the UI President and BoR and doubling down on doing it his way. His way is going to force him out the door sooner rather than later. The sooner the better.
Lester is only 46, no? But a safe hire this does appear to be. I get what you're saying.

Reactions: OutbackBowl2017
He is without a doubt a better OC than anyone here or in the media badmouthing him. He will be better than Brian, and GDGD. If he can get our offense to 80 or better with the defense and special teams we have we will win 9 or 10 games a year. Anyone expecting better than that in the new B1G and in todays NCAA are delusional.
You’re right. We should give him a chance.

I’m just so disgusted right now. If this hire doesn’t move the needle, this needs to be the end of Ferentz.

Any other coach would have come out after the bowl game and said they are going to do a full evaluation of the offense side of the ball

Leading to a potential reboot or tear down and rebuild to something that can actually be called complimentary football. Just admit the offense is broke and his job is to fix it

The OC search would be to find the type of candidate who either has a proven track record over the years of fixing offenses, or someone relatively newer with fresh ideas that accomplish the same goal

Which should have been, fix the offense.

Instead Kirk never admitted there was a problem. He thinks the offense of the last three years is acceptable because 10 wins on the backs of defense, special teams, and horrible opponents.

92-0 is all that came out of 2023 season

Any other coach would have come out after the bowl game and said they are going to do a full evaluation of the offense side of the ball

Leading to a potential reboot or tear down and rebuild to something that can actually be called complimentary football. Just admit the offense is broke and his job is to fix it

The OC search would be to find the type of candidate who either has a proven track record over the years of fixing offenses, or someone relatively newer with fresh ideas that accomplish the same goal

Instead Kirk never admitted there was a problem. He thinks the offense of the last three years is acceptable because 10 wins on the backs of defense, special teams, and horrible opponents.

This could have happened...but it's hard to think that the problem is your own son. The biggest problem with nepotism is that it clouds the evaluation process.

Reactions: sober_teacher
This could have happened...but it's hard to think that the problem is your own son. The biggest problem with nepotism is that it clouds the evaluation process.
He doesn’t see he is the problem and the success of Iowa Football with great coaches and culture. He just needs to improve his offense by admitting his faults and moving on. He’s paid $7 million to field a team that is good in all three phases of the game but only two are the last three years.

Of course the fan base will give him a chance. Despite what goes on here, Iowa fans are a hopeful bunch, and we'll be hoping like crazy that somehow this Lester dude is able to run the offense under KF's restraints better than anyone else has been able to.

But, tonight, the fan base is pissed and rightfully so. We were teased with multiple candidates with solid credentials, including one that looked to be a done deal. A guy fired as the Syracuse OC, Purdue QB coach and MAC HC should not have his next job be OC at a school with a much bigger football tradition than any of those. Troy OC would have been a perfect spot to start over. He hit the frickin' jackpot. Only time will tell if it was worth it for Iowa.

Add in the fact he hasnt called plays since 2014-2015 season, seems like a safe hire in Kirks mind that will run more of traditional pro style offense were as Johns offense would have been more exotic in Kirks eyes.
He was the play caller every year but one when he was HC at WMU, and fairly successful at it.

I believe he was the play caller at multiple stints at lower levels.

He has a pretty extensive play calling experience, but if we take his two worst years of the 10+ years he’s done it, it looks terrible, if we’re looking for negatives.

Add in the fact he hasnt called plays since 2014-2015 season, seems like a safe hire in Kirks mind that will run more of traditional pro style offense were as Johns offense would have been more exotic in Kirks eyes.
He doesnt run a traditional pro style offense

Really not surprising to me as I have always thought Ferentz is a dumb***.

He is without a doubt a better OC than anyone here or in the media badmouthing him. He will be better than Brian, and GDGD. If he can get our offense to 80 or better with the defense and special teams we have we will win 9 or 10 games a year. Anyone expecting better than that in the new B1G and in todays NCAA are delusional.
Didn't we win 9 or 10 games with Brian? What's the upside?

Lester's QBs seem to improve ... and the offenses seem to have balance. Bronco RBs actually regularly featured 1000 yard rushers.

That seems compatible with Kirk's philosophy. Furthermore, it complements Phils bend-but-not-break defense.

Doesn't seem like a bad hire to me.

Not a "flashy" hire ... but Iowa doesn't need a flashy O to win a ton of games.

Underwhelming hire but of course hope he’s good. Count me in for giving him a chance. I’m certain the team will be good next season. If the O is markedly improved could be a special season.

Not sure there is much on his resume to get excited about him as an o coordinator. I hope he fixes some things but the cupboard is really bare and he doesn’t have a dazzling track record. Hope for the best.
However, is the offensive cupboard really “bare”? Luke Lachey is back, adding K Proctor to o-line, return of QB McNamera (hopefully healthy), WR Kaleb Brown (for full season), and all top 3 running backs return…just sayin.

Reactions: doughuddl2
I am excited a change was made. It will be a very intriguing spring practice to see what the offense may look like.

I would be happy to see if Lester can at least have some changes in the offensive scheme implemented. We have a young QB with 4 years ahead of him so it's time to get out of the same old comfort zone and be aggressive.

We don't have a choice but to give him a chance. My fear is that if it doesn't work out, we'll be stuck with him the next 3-6 years regardless.
With Barta definitely 6 -7 years, but with Beth in charge I am going with 3-4 and KF is also maybe 'encouraged' to retire early? ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: AEG82
This is not about Lester for me. It is about what KF could NOT do to get the best candidate at a top 25 program. It is very sad. This could have been great. Kirk is being dick Kirk.
It's not what he COULD NOT do. It's what he WOULD NOT do, and that is hire someone who would right off the bat greatly upstage Brian. This may end up being an OK hire. As a former QB and HC I think he's more qualified than Brian to run an offense and definitely coach QBs. But just on name/resume he's not wowing a lot of people since he hasn't had much success at this level, so there will be questions about the choice and the offense at least until the season starts. It's pretty much what you'd expect from Kirk.

This hire is KF giving the middle finger to the Iowa fans end of story, what a trash hire by a fool of a head coach!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT