ADVERTISEMENT

Give Lester a chance

WEH8ST8HAWK

HR All-American
Jan 31, 2004
He is without a doubt a better OC than anyone here or in the media badmouthing him. He will be better than Brian, and GDGD. If he can get our offense to 80 or better with the defense and special teams we have we will win 9 or 10 games a year. Anyone expecting better than that in the new B1G and in todays NCAA are delusional.

He is without a doubt a better OC than anyone here or in the media badmouthing him. He will be better than Brian, and GDGD. If he can get our offense to 80 or better with the defense and special teams we have we will win 9 or 10 games a year. Anyone expecting better than that in the new B1G and in todays NCAA are delusional.
How are you sure he’s going to be better than GD.

Lot of assumptions

I'm trying to look for positives today. Lester was an actual QB in college and threw for 11,000 yds and 87 TDs. There's a small chance that he might be able to develop a QB better than an Olineman that coached OLine and TE. He might even be able to develop a play where we throw forward more than 20 yds.

I’m fully prepared to give him a chance. But we kind of all knew this was coming, it wasn’t going to be someone who was going to reinvent the offense schematically. It was always going to be anyone available who would whole-heartedly agree to the d/s dynamic.

Capture.png

This is not about Lester for me. It is about what KF could NOT do to get the best candidate at a top 25 program. It is very sad. This could have been great. Kirk is being dick Kirk.

Doesn't compare to all the assumptions that he is going to fail.

I’m sorry. The assumptions are based on his past. Fans are well within their right to be upset.

Everyone is going to give him a chance. No one on this board has a choice. But KF needed to make a hire that was going to provide a much needed and overdue boost to this offense. I don’t believe he did.

Lester has 1 year to do something and prove he can do something different. If fans continue to see the same BS route trees and the same BS play calls, then KF won’t be the head coach at Iowa much longer and his legacy will forever be tarnished.

This is not about Lester for me. It is about what KF could NOT do to get the best candidate at a top 25 program. It is very sad. This could have been great. Kirk is being dick Kirk.
For better or worse, KF values stability, consistency and trust over all else. This is not intended to be a defense of this choice, but it shouldn't be surprising that he didn't hire someone that was going to "mix things up".

Certainly and old school approach. We have no idea how many wins/losses this attitude has produced.

I guess we'll see in 7 months.

Not sure there is much on his resume to get excited about him as an o coordinator. I hope he fixes some things but the cupboard is really bare and he doesn’t have a dazzling track record. Hope for the best.

Gawd I hope all hawk fans are pulling for him and will give him a chance. A lot of breakage to fix right now. He knows QBing and passing game as he threw for a ton in college, he needs to have great OLine coaching to improve run game by 25% with a lot fewer negative runs

Reactions: AlvySinger
So what you are saying is, more of the same...go figure, "win in games" is what KF is wanting and to maintain the status quo of 8-10 wins satisfies some fans. God forbid the bar be set higher than beating WesternMichigan and ISU.

A good OC would change the cadence during a series, he failed to change the cadence for an entire YEAR. I think your assessment of him being better than those on here and in the media is far fetched.

Add in the fact he hasnt called plays since 2014-2015 season, seems like a safe hire in Kirks mind that will run more of traditional pro style offense were as Johns offense would have been more exotic in Kirks eyes.

Reactions: obfuscating
Gawd I hope all hawk fans are pulling for him and will give him a chance. A lot of breakage to fix right now. He knows QBing and passing game as he threw for a ton in college, he needs to have great OLine coaching to improve run game by 25% with a lot fewer negative runs
Being a QB and coaching them does not mean you are going to be good. I can't find one QB he coached that went to the NFL or even NCAA greatness. Iowa needs that caliber of QB to be competitive, we can't Deacon Hill a season again.

Tim Lester does have some experience in the Big Ten.​

Lester spent the 2016 season as the quarterbacks coach at Purdue, a rough year for the Boilermakers overall but one that featured decent offensive success.

Quarterback David Blough threw for 3,352 yards that season with 25 touchdowns but also 21 interceptions.

Tim Lester's only experience as a Power Five offensive coordinator didn't go great.​

Lester’s only experience as a Power Five offensive coordinator resulted in offenses that ranked 116th and 119th nationally at Syracuse in 2014 and 2015, respectively. He became the OC five games in to the 2014 season and went 1-6 from there, putting his overall record as a Power Five OC at 5-14.

The height of Lester's tenure came with an 8-5 season in 2021, which included a win in the Quick Lane Bowl. However, after a 2-5 start than led to a 5-7 campaign in 2022, Western Michigan fired Lester in November 2022.

Let's see what he does in the spring game, if it is more of the same, fukc it - BG needs to rewrite KF's contract to end Dec 2024.

I’m sorry. The assumptions are based on his past. Fans are well within their right to be upset.

Everyone is going to give him a chance. No one on this board has a choice. But KF needed to make a hire that was going to provide a much needed and overdue boost to this offense. I don’t believe he did.

Lester has 1 year to do something and prove he can do something different. If fans continue to see the same BS route trees and the same BS play calls, then KF won’t be the head coach at Iowa much longer and his legacy will forever be tarnished.
1 year?

And if not then Kirk is gone?

According to who?

I don’t think anyone is upset with Lester, it’s KF’s selection after three months of knowing he had to replace his son as OC. He had a chance to hire a dynamic OC that has had success over many teams and years of play calling that would of brought a much needed breath of fresh air into the program on the offensive side of the ball that he could use that history to tell skill players we are going to able to run the ball and throw more to wide receivers to improve that room. It would have brought fans together and help get fans to invest in the NIL so they can get those players to come to Iowa. I don’t see those both happening now with this hire. Both recruits and Iowa fans are saying who?!!!

Instead, we got a 70 year old hire the safe choice that will do what he wants and not push his autonomy to run the offense to play to win instead of play not to lose. KF will force his offense on him due to his statements late season saying the offense is fine, no problems with it or the QB. Excuse me? Then to top it off after being shellacked 35-0 in the bowl game, KF doubled down on his offense, qb, then threw out the “It’s complicated” when talking about his enemic offense. He’s still butt hurt about his son being fired in season by the UI President and BoR and doubling down on doing it his way. His way is going to force him out the door sooner rather than later. The sooner the better.

Any other top 25 program would not have settled for Lester
No other top 25 team is Iowa. Iowa needs ball control, no turnovers and win with defense and special teams. Kirk wanted a guy that understands this. We don't need a top 20 offense, top 75 would make us a threat to anyone. Top 50 and we would set all time Iowa standards with the same defense and special teams as the last 2 years.

The chance that Iowa was going to land a better OC than Brian Ferentz was slim. But this Beth lady wants to leave her fingerprint on the University, so here we are.

#HIREBRIANFERENTZ
The chance was 100% and Lester will be better than BF. Not possible to be worse than 0 to gazillion against ranked opponents. Mediocre but better than BF.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT