ADVERTISEMENT

Kaleb Young

so cal hawkfan

HR All-American
Jun 5, 2012
Whittier CA
Kaleb took a lot of flack on this board both in his loss to Monday v Princeton and yesterday vs Lehigh.

In his career he has had some pretty big highs (beating Ryan Deakin 2X) and some pretty low lows (Going 0-2 at B10s after being seeded 2nd). In the write-up Ironbird posted it indicated that yesterday major decision loss to Humphreys was Kalebs only bonus point loss of his college career. Considering the level of competition this kids seen, that’s pretty incredible. I mean even Spencer got stuck once, ADS vs RBY,the Bulls given up bonus on more than one occasion. Big Tony’s been stuck twice. Etc. I love Kalebs grit, it’s so obvious that he’s been cutting to much weight for a long time. Remember when he competed at 174?! Ideally he’s a 165lber, but the Bulls the Bull.

I’m going to be pulling hard for KY tonight vs a talented freshman in Ed Scott. Would love to see him bounce back with a win. I applaud his self-sacrifice, give ‘em hell Kaleb!

Kaleb took a lot of flack on this board both in his loss to Monday v Princeton and yesterday vs Lehigh.

In his career he has had some pretty big highs (beating Ryan Deakin 2X) and some pretty low lows (Going 0-2 at B10s after being seeded 2nd). In the write-up Ironbird posted it indicated that yesterday major decision loss to Humphreys was Kalebs only bonus point loss of his college career. Considering the level of competition this kids seen, that’s pretty incredible. I mean even Spencer got stuck once, ADS vs RBY,the Bulls given up bonus on more than one occasion. Big Tony’s been stuck twice. Etc. I love Kalebs grit, it’s so obvious that he’s been cutting to much weight for a long time. Remember when he competed at 174?! Ideally he’s a 165lber, but the Bulls the Bull.

I’m going to be pulling hard for KY tonight vs a talented freshman in Ed Scott. Would love to see him bounce back with a win. I applaud his self-sacrifice, give ‘em hell Kaleb!

Agreed. He's in the wrong weight class, but unfortunately that's the best spot for him to wrestle for the team.

Totally agree and appreciate every sacrifice he has made for the program. Just one correction he did get tech’ed by Isaiah Martinez his redshirt freshman year during a dual. However only losing twice by bonus in 89 career matches is pretty solid

He’s doing what he can where he shouldn’t be. First of the year weight cuts always beat him up, he will be there come march
Unfortunately, he looked terrible at B10s going 0-2. He seemed to have zero energy. I can relate, I cut a lot of weight in HS. It was pretty easy early in the season, but wore on me as the season went on. I feel for Kaleb, he doesn’t look particularly healthy.

Unfortunately, he looked terrible at B10s going 0-2. He seemed to have zero energy. I can relate, I cut a lot of weight in HS. It was pretty easy early in the season, but wore on me as the season went on. I feel for Kaleb, he doesn’t look particularly healthy.
Wonder if it would be better on him to skip my duals and the cut. He’s got nothing to prove and I know he just wants to finish out on the podium

Young is our best option at 157. Can be explosive out of nowhere at times. Best at counter wrestling on feet, alot of opponents scouted and dont take any serious shots against him. Always been kinda streaky good or bad. Hope he is on a good streak at end of his last year.

Wonder if it would be better on him to skip my duals and the cut. He’s got nothing to prove and I know he just wants to finish out on the podium
Unfortunately his team needs him. I think Joe Kelly is the only other guy we have at 157 and I don’t think he can be counted on to get quality wins when it counts. I know Reyna saw some action last year, but he is now down at 149. McClimon is a true frosh I believe, so I think Kalebs it.

could they put riggins in there,i think it would be worth $500 to wfl. just kidding i am actually intrigued to see how KY finishes his iowa career.It will be important to the team race and as i see it could go either way.

Why keep someone in the wrong weight class for that many years?
It’s been Young’s choice. He would have had no trouble finding a program where he’d have fit in at 165 or possibly even 174. And if you’re the staff, of course you’ll take him as your 157 given the solid pieces around him.

Young is without a doubt the most underappreciated Hawkeye on the team ... The man has two official AA performances, 5th and 7th, at a weight that he's forced to make a tough cut to man. I think he embodies what a Hawkeye is through and through -> toughness, sacrifice, team-oriented, and the list goes on. I understand he's not the most exciting wrestler to watch, but everyone is different. Every team needs a Kaleb Young.

Young is without a doubt the most underappreciated Hawkeye on the team ... The man has two official AA performances, 5th and 7th, at a weight that he's forced to make a tough cut to man. I think he embodies what a Hawkeye is through and through -> toughness, sacrifice, team-oriented, and the list goes on. I understand he's not the most exciting wrestler to watch, but everyone is different. Every team needs a Kaleb Young.
I love Kaleb Young, but I don't get the sacrificing for the team narrative. It's not like he told Marinelli, "Okay, I'll let you have 165 and I'll make the cut to 157 for the good of the team." He wrestles at 157 because that's the only weight he can start at. He's had a good career so far and I expect him to finish on the podium again, but that's a total gut call as my head would argue otherwise.

I love Kaleb Young, but I don't get the sacrificing for the team narrative. It's not like he told Marinelli, "Okay, I'll let you have 165 and I'll make the cut to 157 for the good of the team." He wrestles at 157 because that's the only weight he can start at. He's had a good career so far and I expect him to finish on the podium again, but that's a total gut call as my head would argue otherwise.
Expecting Young to finish on the podium at this point is extremely optimistic, imo.

I respect Kaleb Young for all the hard work he has done but in March he’s not going to be given points at the National tournament based on what he did 2 or 3 years ago. It’s disappointing that a top-notch program like Iowa does not have a quality option for that weight because the weight cut is too much for him.

Reactions: cheddarwurst69
I’d say 50% of kids in High School and college cut the same amount of weight as Young is, in the 70’s and 80’s. Problem is rules are different, for good reason. You used to be able to get your energy back, which was a big positive from a mental aspect. I am not sure this is the case anymore.
When this class came in, I don’t think anyone saw Kem at 174. Young is there because he wants to be and could give two shits about what’s said and written about him right now.
If you have wrestled, and went through a rough patch like this. Then you are aware of the fight still left in Kaleb Young. I think Riggins is going to do really well, however, if he was here now; he wouldn’t be the answer either.

An issue I see more than I care to is our guys getting nailed by moves or skills other guys are know for like we had no clue about it. It's annoying because fans, announcers etc seem to know but I hear statements about "not worrying about what the other guy does just wrestle my match" quite often. Not being aware and smart about opponents tendencies and strengths is not smart.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT