ADVERTISEMENT

Kansas State QB Enters Portal 11/27 23

Will Howard State QB is entered portal today , any thoughts on Will beings a Hawkeye?
Any reason he would want to come to iowa? Senior so would only have one year eligibility. He won’t be guaranteed a starting job, I don’t see it happening. If we got portal QB it’s gonna be a younger guy. Labss is prolly gone so I could see us getting someone, but doubt it’s any big time get. Unless iowa isn’t sold on Cade for next year

Reactions: Bishop-71
As for Rubley…I mentioned him several weeks ago as a potential. I honestly think he would be a good insurance policy for Cade. Prolly a guy they will call if Labas enters.

Reactions: Bishop-71
As for Rubley…I mentioned him several weeks ago as a potential. I honestly think he would be a good insurance policy for Cade. Prolly a guy they will call if Labas enters.
I’m assuming a guy like Rubley if he’s transferring after 3 years wants to go somewhere he can play, even if it’s mid major or d2. Why transfer to go sit on the bench again?

Howard played poorly in their recent game against ISU.
I wouldn't say he played poorly. He had 288 yards of passing and 51 on the ground. He led them to 497 yards of offense and they scored 35 points. It just wasn't enough. Our DB made a good play on the ball in the end zone on their fourth and long pass toward the end of the game, otherwise, it would have been tied and heading to OT.

I don't want starting QB's who quit on their team. I'd prefer younger QB's in the portal who haven't played much yet and lost out in a battle for starting spot as a freshman or RS freshman or they played but lost their spot because of an injury and have at least 2 years of eligibility left.

FWIW, it looks like he visited Iowa three times while in high school. Also visited Wisconsin, among others. According to Rivals, his recruiter at Wisconsin was some guy named Jon Budmayr.

How about offensive coordinator from another college and bring his quarterback with him.😁

Reactions: wxhawk
Unless Iowa sees Marco as the next QB 1 They really need to bring in a Portal QB who has experience and is actually good. You cannot go int a Season with Hill and Cade coming of ACLs on both knees as Your QB room . That is just gross negligence.

The other question is, who would want to be OC with that QB room.

Howard played poorly in their recent game against ISU.
I'll say. Threw a low chance of completion pass to the front corner of the end zone on 4th down instead of just getting the damn first down with an under route or his own feet.

Reactions: NevadaHawk
I wouldn't say he played poorly. He had 288 yards of passing and 51 on the ground. He led them to 497 yards of offense and they scored 35 points. It just wasn't enough. Our DB made a good play on the ball in the end zone on their fourth and long pass toward the end of the game, otherwise, it would have been tied and heading to OT.
Yeah, whatever we do let’s make sure we don’t go after that KSU DB who “tackled” Sama by pushing him forward for 5 more yards on one of his long TD runs.

Reactions: herkhatescy
Yeah, whatever we do let’s make sure we don’t go after that KSU DB who “tackled” Sama by pushing him forward for 5 more yards on one of his long TD runs.
That was really strange looking. One of the worst tackle attempts I’ve ever seen.

FWIW, it looks like he visited Iowa three times while in high school. Also visited Wisconsin, among others. According to Rivals, his recruiter at Wisconsin was some guy named Jon Budmayr.
Think he played senior year in Iowa during the Covid days didn’t he??? Sure he’s plenty familiar with iowa. Idk that he’s the answer for backup or any better than cade if he’s healthy… but I’d take him if we don’t get an OC that brings along a transfer QB, Nate Johnson and Ludwig would be great. Chryst and any Texas backup would be great as well…

I might be in the minority but I think we are fine at QB

We arent going to attract anyone great with Cade basically penned in as our starter. Given his injury history, it would be nice to know what we have in Laniez. Hill is probably just what the coaches thought was ready this year to not crap the bed and didn't feel comfortable with Laniez yet.

Will Howard State QB is entered portal today , any thoughts on Will beings a Hawkeye?

Is Howard “St” an all-white school?! Doh?!

This portal stuff is interesting. Our fans would be screaming about how inept our coaches are to let this happen. It’s everywhere…players leaving, fans complaining. It’s a brave new world.

I saw their TE, who is from Iowa originally may be transferring as well🤷‍♂️

I also saw ole Offensive Guru, Lincoln Riley, had a former 5 star transferring out, who hadn’t played much.

More and more I’m impressed with how good a job KF seems to do of keeping things as insulated as possible. Eyes forward, no matter the outside trama…

Reactions: NevadaHawk
I might be in the minority but I think we are fine at QB

We arent going to attract anyone great with Cade basically penned in as our starter. Given his injury history, it would be nice to know what we have in Laniez. Hill is probably just what the coaches thought was ready this year to not crap the bed and didn't feel comfortable with Laniez yet.
I feel crazy for saying this, but I think I actually agree. IF (and that’s a big if) we get a legit QB coach and OC, I just wonder if proper coaching could make Hill slightly more than serviceable (if it came to that again, with a reinjured Cade and a Laniez who just isn’t it). I think possibly our only real portal need on the offensive side is a solid OT and maybe another OL to give us some quality depth. With a decent coach/coordinator, and a functional line, I think we have enough other pieces to make us a “Quad 3” offense, which is really all we need with our D to be a competitive team with just about anyone in the conference.

Reactions: hexumhawk
I feel crazy for saying this, but I think I actually agree. IF (and that’s a big if) we get a legit QB coach and OC, I just wonder if proper coaching could make Hill slightly more than serviceable (if it came to that again, with a reinjured Cade and a Laniez who just isn’t it). I think possibly our only real portal need on the offensive side is a solid OT and maybe another OL to give us some quality depth. With a decent coach/coordinator, and a functional line, I think we have enough other pieces to make us a “Quad 3” offense, which is really all we need with our D to be a competitive team with just about anyone in the conference.
Absolutely not. I’m not arguing with a real QB coach and offensive coordinator things could (should) be better but a guy who’s hitting 35-40 % of his passes should not be our backup plan for next year. Wouldn’t it be nice to say the offense actually won a game next year vs having your defense do it every single game?

Absolutely not. I’m not arguing with a real QB coach and offensive coordinator things could (should) be better but a guy who’s hitting 35-40 % of his passes should not be our backup plan for next year. Wouldn’t it be nice to say the offense actually won a game next year vs having your defense do it every single game?
This is the same coaching staff that kept Petra’s out there for 2 years when clearly he wasn’t the guy… I’m not optimistic they go for any portal QB that would compete. The only way it happens is if the new OC brings his own luggage…

• Haha
Reactions: doughuddl2
Again, look at his stats. 5 TD’s, almost 300 yards passing. That would be the best game an Iowa QB has played in 5 years? Possibly more?
I agree with except in all those passes he missed on the second half really hurt the Wildcats chances to a win.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT