ADVERTISEMENT

Kemerer

Tcalumet

HR MVP
Jun 29, 2016
On themat.com Saw someone say that Kem was on his way back down to 57. Also that Lee is taking an Olympic redshirt.

Haven’t seen anything like that here so figure it was just nonsense but has anyone heard anything about that?

On themat.com Saw someone say that Kem was on his way back down to 57. Also that Lee is taking an Olympic redshirt.

Haven’t seen anything like that here so figure it was just nonsense but has anyone heard anything about that?
So Kem and Lee are going on a road trip and they are taking highway 57 south, probably to Memphis or something and Lee is taking a shirt with him that he bought at the Olympics when he was with Dan Dennis and it is red. That is about the only way that rumor would be true.

Doubt Kem ever sees 57 again. I thought we heard he was up around 180 during the season?

Reactions: HIWILLE

Bad intel. Kem is going back down to 149 like his redshirt year and Spencer is retiring

If kem can make 157 again he might be the favorite to win it (assuming the cut is a healthy one). Probably slates in at 3 or 4 at 174 but I'm excited to see what he can do either way!

If kem can make 157 again he might be the favorite to win it (assuming the cut is a healthy one). Probably slates in at 3 or 4 at 174 but I'm excited to see what he can do either way!

How do the pre-season 174 rankings shake out?

1. Hall
2. Amine
3. Kem-Dawg
4. McFadden

I think 2-3-4 are all interchangeable and a healthy Kemerer can certainly push Hall. I selfishly wish Zahid would stay down or Mark Hall would go up, I LOVE watching those two battle!

Zahid going up? I thought he said the weight wasn’t that much of a cut after nationals last year.

Is it confirmed that he is looking to bump up in weight? That would be big for Kem and the Hawks as I see him as the only (likely) insurmountable road block. I think Kem can hang with and even beat Hall and Amine (and think he is noticeably ahead of the rest of the field)

Zahid going up? I thought he said the weight wasn’t that much of a cut after nationals last year.

With Teemer @157 and Shields @165, either Zahid moves up or Anthony will have a very tough battle to make the lineup. Or maybe Anthony goes 184.

With Teemer @157 and Shields @165, either Zahid moves up or Anthony will have a very tough battle to make the lineup. Or maybe Anthony goes 184.

I don't think it has anything to do with Anthony. It's all about him beefing up to 86kg for his 2020 run. Anthony is just the beneficiary. At least that is my interpretation on this from everything I read. I have no "sources," or do I?

I agree that the ceiling for a healthy Kemerer is top 3, but if he is undersized I see some match-up problems with him. McFadden is a 3-time all-american for a reason. Kutler is very hard to score on (he gave up 11 points in 6 NCAA tournament matches last year). Labriola made a few freshman mistakes last year, but he is strong and goes hard. I expect him to clean up some technique and be quite a bit better this year. Even Lujan can be a tough match-up if you don't finish clean and fast on him. I think Kem is a better wrestler than all four, but if he is undersized those matches will be close.

Reactions: andegre
I agree that the ceiling for a healthy Kemerer is top 3, but if he is undersized I see some match-up problems with him. McFadden is a 3-time all-american for a reason. Kutler is very hard to score on (he gave up 11 points in 6 NCAA tournament matches last year). Labriola made a few freshman mistakes last year, but he is strong and goes hard. I expect him to clean up some technique and be quite a bit better this year. Even Lujan can be a tough match-up if you don't finish clean and fast on him. I think Kem is a better wrestler than all four, but if he is undersized those matches will be close.
Totally agree - lots of questions with whether he will have the horsepower at 74. Of course I’m sure he’s probably fine - it is a big jump though

Reactions: WiscoWrastler
Amine to 184

From a reliable source? I haven’t. The only way it would really make any sense is if Massa is going up as well, which I don’t expect. With Pantaleo graduating I don’t see any moves above 157 helping UofM at all. Lewan filling in at 157 works nicely, but Van An Rooy is the likely guy that would have to fill 165/174. That also bumps out Embree.

From a team perspective, that move does NOT help.

From a reliable source? I haven’t. The only way it would really make any sense is if Massa is going up as well, which I don’t expect. With Pantaleo graduating I don’t see any moves above 157 helping UofM at all. Lewan filling in at 157 works nicely, but Van An Rooy is the likely guy that would have to fill 165/174. That also bumps out Embree.

From a team perspective, that move does NOT help.

Very reliable source. The decision could change, but at present time, that's the plan.

Also, I've heard Massa wants to go up as well. Not sure that that makes much sense, from what I've heard about his weight, but he'll have the choice of 165/174.

Very reliable source. The decision could change, but at present time, that's the plan.

Also, I've heard Massa wants to go up as well. Not sure that that makes much sense, from what I've heard about his weight, but he'll have the choice of 165/174.
Massa is deceptively big. He never strikes me as particularly big at 165, but I think that's partly because of his stance, which hides how tall he is. I think he could be plenty big at 174 imo.

Massa at 174 could be dangerous. His career reminds me a bit of Jon Readers up until now. Cutting hard, injuries and always elite but not quite a finalist. Both Michigan preps who seemed stuck in the mud but have a higher gear. He bumped up to 174 and was another animal. I could see it.

Reactions: 01Hawk05
Massa at 174 could be dangerous. His career reminds me a bit of Jon Readers up until now. Cutting hard, injuries and always elite but not quite a finalist. Both Michigan preps who seemed stuck in the mud but have a higher gear. He bumped up to 174 and was another animal. I could see it.

Alas, he’s not cutting hard. I think this means he’ll be hitting the weights harder though.

Might want to give his brother a shot at making the lineup...?
Ant could go 184 as well.

Zahid is clearly the better wrestler and has a shot at #3, undefeated, Hodge, Hall Stopper Extraordinaire, would be 4xmer if not for him actively trying to win the match....
Why would he not go his optimal weight and the kid that no one would be shocked doesn't AA bump up? Does Z love A more than A loves Z?

Zahid is clearly the better wrestler and has a shot at #3, undefeated, Hodge, Hall Stopper Extraordinaire, would be 4xmer if not for him actively trying to win the match....
Why would he not go his optimal weight and the kid that no one would be shocked doesn't AA bump up? Does Z love A more than A loves Z?

Would we be in agreement that Z has an easier path at 184?

Of course, the same could probably be said for A. Maybe it comes down to who can attain that mass more readily? Or, more likely, how the weight aligns w/ international aspirations?

I know from experience that bigger brothers are better people.

I'll counter that n of 1 with another and note that my little brother is a better person than me . . . and yes, I know many of you will be shocked by that assertion. ;)

Z wants to go 86 for 2020. He has the frame. Anthony wants 74.

But in season, A needs to be at 174. Too much of a pull week after week. Although it’s a 2 hour weigh in now before duals.

Good point- I think A probably smaller than Z though - didn’t he wrestle pretty lower at us open?

Whatever keeps Iowa from winning a national championship amirite or amirite?...........

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT