ADVERTISEMENT

Keokuk Chiefs Football....

Don't want to step on anyone's toes, but I cannot recall Keokuk ever being good in football or any other sport for that matter. Who am I forgetting?
(I googled it, and had forgotten Bill Logan. For you youngsters, his jersey hangs in CHA. That I am talking about someone who would have played there 70 years ago, sort of proves my point.)

Don't want to step on anyone's toes, but I cannot recall Keokuk ever being good in football or any other sport for that matter. Who am I forgetting?
(I googled it, and had forgotten Bill Logan. For you youngsters, his jersey hangs in CHA. That I am talking about someone who would have played there 70 years ago, sort of proves my point.)
they won state when vandenberg was QB

"Those who can't do, teach" is the saying. McNutt played B10 football at a high level, so I guess that rules him out as a teacher?
;)

The obsession iowa fans have for wanting former players as coaches is weird as hell.
Fry, Snyder, Alvarez, Parker (2), etc, etc. never played a down for iowa.
Because here, in this conversation, the flip side of the coin is Jon Budmayr!

The “gift from heaven” that helped us go in the direction of Deacon Hill. It’s ****ing laughable he got promoted!

Laughable. Kirk needs to retire goddamnit.

His coaching experience includes part time experience at the D3 level and arena football.
I get that. Really - I understand your point.

This is more about NOT wanting Jon Budmayr as WR coach.

At least Marvin..

A) played the position
B) was good at the position

Yet here we are with Budmayr somehow……

• Haha
Reactions: Bloody Run Hawk

The “gift from heaven” that helped us go in the direction of Deacon Hill. It’s ****ing laughable he got promoted!

Compare resumes.

Compare resumes.
It certainly doesn’t need to be between Budmayr and Marvin.

Fire JBs sorry ass and go get someone from ANYWHERE that has a history of catching footballs in college.

Budmayr brought D. Hill to Iowa for God sake. Hill is terrible. JB gets promoted.

Make it make sense!

Compare resumes.
Budmayr: QB coach at Wisconsin. The guys he coached didn't play well there. Some transferred and were significantly better elsewhere. Then he was the OC at Colorado State. It was only one year but his offense sucked and the head coach that hired him was fired. Then he was hired at Iowa to be an offensive analyst and personal QB whisperer for Biff Ferentz. QB and offense literally hit rock bottom and earned worst in the nation status.

McNutt: isn't Jon Budmayr.

Advantage: McNutt

I don't care if he's a former player at Iowa or not. I really don't care if he coached anywhere since his playing career ended, but we know what get with budmayr and that's garbage. The guy needed to be out the door with Brian. But in Iowa fashion they scapegoated Copeland to promote the guy who was a key piece of engineering that shitty offense. Give me McNutt because just like Brian Ferentz, any other person can't be worse. Only upside.

The obsession iowa fans have for wanting former players as coaches is weird as hell.
Fry, Snyder, Alvarez, Parker (2), etc, etc. never played a down for iowa.

Yes and coaching their old positions?! Means they are automatically great coaches. Well, until the aren’t of course 🤷‍♂️

Budmayr: QB coach at Wisconsin. The guys he coached didn't play well there. Some transferred and were significantly better elsewhere. Then he was the OC at Colorado State. It was only one year but his offense sucked and the head coach that hired him was fired. Then he was hired at Iowa to be an offensive analyst and personal QB whisperer for Biff Ferentz. QB and offense literally hit rock bottom and earned worst in the nation status.

McNutt: isn't Jon Budmayr.

Advantage: McNutt

I don't care if he's a former player at Iowa or not. I really don't care if he coached anywhere since his playing career ended, but we know what get with budmayr and that's garbage. The guy needed to be out the door with Brian. But in Iowa fashion they scapegoated Copeland to promote the guy who was a key piece of engineering that shitty offense. Give me McNutt because just like Brian Ferentz, any other person can't be worse. Only upside.

We know what we get…,?! Hmmm….

I hope he stays long enough you and @Iron Doc retire from watching….plus, plus….

Last edited:
I don't think ottumwa has had ever in history a good football team nor do I think anybody has ever played for the hawkeyes from ottumwa but if you go back 70 or 100 years I may be wrong

keokuk kind of reminds me of ottumwa

• Haha
Reactions: Speedway1
I don't think ottumwa has had ever in history a good football team nor do I think anybody has ever played for the hawkeyes from ottumwa but if you go back 70 or 100 years I may be wrong

I prefer Keokuk over Ottumwa anyday. Love the riverfront.

As usually you are clueless. Ottumwa has had good football.

What do you suppose the head football coaching position pays in Keokuk , Iowa? With 5 kids and a wife I have a feeling Marvin is going to half near starve to death down there. Hopefully he can pull a miracle out of his hat and within a few years, move up in the coaching ranks.

Uh……what years or year are you referring to? Off the top of my head, I would say Ottumwa, in any sport, is at the bottom of the barrel. It’s a beat up, worn out town and I would assume has declining enrollments in their school system.

Uh……what years or year are you referring to? Off the top of my head, I would say Ottumwa, in any sport, is at the bottom of the barrel. It’s a beat up, worn out town and I would assume has declining enrollments in their school system.
From there, Kopatich guided the Bulldog football team to 10 berths in state football postseason play and finished his overall 31 years in coaching with 209 victories back in 2007. During his entire 26 years at Ottumwa, Kopatich talked on Tuesday about some of the great moments (Ottumwa going 10-0 in 2001 entering the state football quarterfinals

the last time they had good football was like 2003-2005 or so and there was a coach from i think CR and they were in this des moines league. the coache's name was kopatich. even then they did not make the state playoffs or if they did they usually lost to like ankeny or newton somebody. that des moines league was fairly brutal. yes now I see the article, thanks for posting it. still I do not recall ever any hawkeyes .

From there, Kopatich guided the Bulldog football team to 10 berths in state football postseason play and finished his overall 31 years in coaching with 209 victories back in 2007. During his entire 26 years at Ottumwa, Kopatich talked on Tuesday about some of the great moments (Ottumwa going 10-0 in 2001 entering the state football quarterfinals
it was still not as great as you think. I was there a lot for hawkeye games on saturdays so I would go to these games on friday nites. it was ok, better than the 70's but still not great

You can say that about a whole lot of Iowa....worn out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT