ADVERTISEMENT

New Story KF Presser Takeaways: 3/22

RossWB

HR Heisman
Staff
Feb 1, 2006
Not a ton of news, but here were some of the highlights.

* McNamara doing some light practice work, but probably 6-8 weeks away from full go.

* Erick All is a full participant in practice.

* A big NOPE to Cooper DeJean seeing time on offense.

* Cited lack of experience and continuity as major reasons for the OL struggles; hopeful that guys can get plenty of reps this spring and develop that continuity.

* Called Deontae Craig, Xavier Nwankpa "ascending" players and compared Nwankpa's end of season last year to what Cooper did at the end of 2021 before fully busting out in 2022.

* Noted that Koen Entringer (#2 FS) had a good bowl prep and is on the rise.

* Really pleased with Jaziun Patterson and his ability.

* Expecting big things from Jermari Harris who's fully healthy after missing all of 2022 due to injury.

* Essentially no comment on the settlement of the racial discrimination lawsuit or on the performance objectives that Barta inserted into Brian's contract for 2023.

MORE HERE: https://iowa.rivals.com/news/kirk-ferentz-press-conference-news-and-notes-3-22

Can't wait to see the new wrinkles to this year's offense.
OIP.fXe-SEEoopFHk5lrwBSWVAHaEK

So, more pt for Patterson this year? Maybe get that speed out in space and weaponize it a little?

With this said, Kaleb Johnson is crazy fast, not super shifty (but extremely fluid and strong) with great vision!!

Maybe Patterson is “quicker” but not faster?!? I think?

With this said, Kaleb Johnson is crazy fast, not super shifty (but extremely fluid and strong) with great vision!!

Agreed, I am a big Kaleb Johnson fan, but thought it interesting KF mentioned Patterson and wondered how they intend to exploit his talents.

Reactions: cmhawks99
Agreed, I am a big Kaleb Johnson fan, but thought it interesting KF mentioned Patterson and wondered how they intend to exploit his talents.
Kaleb, LeShon, and Jaz will all play. Though not very big, I think Jaz is more of a tough inside runner than a gadget-guy in space

Reactions: cmhawks99

Yes, but Johnson has a knack for something very few back have.

He makes very subtle shifts/jukes that waste linebackers. They are almost undetectable sometimes. It gives him the ability to make guys miss without breaking stride.

It is funny how other schools can pretty much plug and play with the O line, but at Iowa you have to have a degree

Meh….that’s an exaggeration. Recently we have had issues, but we had better continuity in years past.

It is funny how other schools can pretty much plug and play with the O line, but at Iowa you have to have a degree
At Iowa, if you’re not in year 4 or 5, the excuse will be either “young” or “inexperienced”

We’re a developmental program after all - Gotta have that everlasting patience.

**Still can’t f*****g believe Brian remains the OC.

At Iowa, if you’re not in year 4 or 5, the excuse will be either “young” or “inexperienced”

We’re a developmental program after all - Gotta have that everlasting patience.

**Still can’t f*****g believe Brian remains the OC.

Seriously, why are you an Iowa fan? I get it, the offense blows, but there are plenty of people jealous of our success. I’m not sure I have ever seen you speak even remotely pleasantly about the team!

I definitely wouldn’t follow ANYTHING that irritated me as much as this team irritates you. Time management, life management and just general well being is more important than football bud?!

Seriously, why are you an Iowa fan? I get it, the offense blows, but there are plenty of people jealous of our success. I’m not sure I have ever seen you speak even remotely pleasantly about the team!

I definitely wouldn’t follow ANYTHING that irritated me as much as this team irritates you. Time management, life management and just general well being is more important than football bud?!
Are you implying I lack these things because I complain about Iowa football’s offense on this website..Bud?

And why am I a fan (as stupid as this question is):

…grew up with Hawkeye wallpaper and lamps in my bedroom. Had posters of Hayden Fry and BJ Armstrong. Dreamed of attending the university, and then graduated from the university. Have a ton of memories and left a couple boat-loads of money in that town.

Last edited:
Are you implying I lack these things because I complain about Iowa football’s offense on this website..Bud?

And why am I a fan (as stupid as this question is):

…grew up with Hawkeye wallpaper and lamps in my bedroom. Had posters of Hayden Fry and BJ Armstrong. Dreamed of attending the university, and then graduated from the university. Have a ton of memories and left a couple boat-loads of money in that town.

Well you’ve certainly embraced your fandom & I’ll wager your life in a different fashion than me. I skip things that drive me to that level of frustration!

Yes, but Johnson has a knack for something very few back have.

He makes very subtle shifts/jukes that waste linebackers. They are almost undetectable sometimes. It gives him the ability to make guys miss without breaking stride.
It's good to have RBs who offer a change-of-pace from one another.

Were I to describe guys ... I'd say that Johnson is smooth and powerful, Williams is a violent slasher, and Patterson is quick and sudden (but not without power).

It's good to have RBs who offer a change-of-pace from one another.

Were I to describe guys ... I'd say that Johnson is smooth and powerful, Williams is a violent slasher, and Patterson is quick and sudden (but not without power).
Ghost, I believe in brevity as a virtue. While you may struggle with that skill ;), you did an outstanding job in this case.

You nailed it, and I didn’t have to take a lunch break to read it. :D

Reactions: ghostOfHomer777
My immediate reaction to the Patterson recognition is as much about keeping him satisfied and engaged through spring ball so he doesn’t transfer before fall. We all understand the need for RB3 at Iowa , but it’s gotta be damn hard to keep that many backs happy when one could just as easily transfer elsewhere for more PT.

I could be wrong - just my initially gut reaction. Roster management has to be an absolutely nightmare as a coach with transfer and NIL.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT