ADVERTISEMENT

Perfect time for Fran to move on?

tweeterhawk

HR All-State
Gold Member
Mar 22, 2010
A perfect storm of considerations may get Fran thinking it’s time to move on:

- If he’s honest, he has to see the relationship between his family and Iowa fan base has cooled considerably (if it ever was that warm to begin with.)
- His coaching at Iowa has plateaued. He picked up the pieces from two disastrous hires and restored the program to respectability. But middle of the conference finish seems to be his teams’ ceiling at Iowa. Selection to the (expanded) NCAA tournament is never a given; advancement beyond the first round unlikely.
- He’s unable to recruit and to coach physical and mental toughness at this level to compete day in and day out in the B1G. His teams are soft.
- Four programs will be joining the B1G next season, including traditional powers UCLA and USC. Another newcomer, Oregon, just dismantled No. 1 seed Arizona in the final PAC-12 championship. Wins are going to be harder to come by.
- In only three years at cross-state rival Iowa State, TJ Otzelberger has eclipsed Fran in terms of building athletic teams and W-L record. There is an excitement in Ames that is missing with MBB in Iowa City.
- The success of the Iowa WBB program is proof it is possible to fill Carver Hawkeye — as bad as it is — with passionate screaming supporters. Why can’t Fran’s teams do that? Certainly he has to notice and wonder.
- How does Fran like working with a new AD? What input will she have now that the season is over?
- His second oldest son, Patrick, does not appear to have his head or his heart in playing basketball at this level. Certainly Fran has to see and hear the criticism of PMac’s play and the minutes he gets compared to other, perceivably better players. Would Patrick be more comfortable elsewhere? Or not playing?
- Youngest son Jack won’t play at Iowa, seeing the kind of criticisms leveled at his brothers. There’s also that legal matter that may make it difficult to stick around.
- Fran himself doesn’t seem to be having much fun. His mood and demeanor during interviews and post-game news conferences seem downright dour at times.

He comes across as a coach who could use a break and a fresh start in a new environment, for himself and for his family.

I think that, perhaps, the biggest thing that would make him leave is his youngest son leaving the nest. He's going to spend his senior year somewhere else going to Prep school. As a parent it would be very difficult to be away from your son or daughter in that situation.

On the other hand,
there is at least 13-14 million left on his contract

He still loves what he does?

He has a young core of Dix,
Freeman, Ladji, Harding,Koch, Tadjo, Pryce, and Bowen to build around.

I just do not see Fran taking a different coaching job or rushing into retirement. He is a lifer coach.

But you never know. Bo Ryan's retirement was unexpected...it could happen.

Like with Saban, Fran is probably very frustrated with the college sports new environment.
His old recruiting approach of out working the others and building relationships with recruits seems as dated as rotary phones these days.
He would openly call out the cheaters in recruiting ....now cheating is legal and the best approach.
KF and Fran are both old-school trying to navigate and make sense in a college sports scene thrust into a bad acid trip.
Sensory overload might push them out.

On the other hand,

I just do not see Fran taking a different coaching job or rushing into retirement. He is a lifer coach.

Like with Saban, Fran is probably very frustrated with the college sports new environment.
His old recruiting approach of out working the others and building relationships with recruits seems as dated as rotary phones these days.
He would openly call out the cheaters in recruiting ....now cheating is legal and the best approach.
KF and Fran are both old-school trying to navigate and make sense in a college sports scene thrust into a bad acid trip.
There is a lot of “truths” in the above. Especially about recruitment and retention of players...There aRe lots of folks “associated” with the University and the Athletic Department who are quite uncomfortable with how athletes are recruited under “the new rules”...UIowa has been pretty conservative in its methods of player recruitment ever since the days of (FB coach) Evashevski and (bb player) Connie Hawkins and its school Administration has exercised lots of control over its Athletics as a result...the changes in athlete procurement are quite confusing...everything that has been “illegal” for decades is now standard operating procedure.

How many of those players stay in today’s Wild West transfer-happy environment of college sports? Are there any true PGs in that bunch?

On the other hand....I don't see him walking away from over $3 million per year, especially since all he has to do to keep his job is be better than Lickliter.

The University of Iowa: where "good enough" is good enough.
This is true.

But honestly, the objectives of the U are likely very different from the fans. Beth reports to the President who reports to the BOR. If you are a member of the BOR or the Pres, you're probably not focused to much on championships - you've got a University to run, or in the case of the BOR, 3 universities to run.

The athletic programs (including men's basketball and football) are accomplishing most, if not all, that's required of them. They are competitive, they sell tickets, the players seem to really like the coaches and they are scandal free for the most part.

If you are an NFL or NBA franchise, good enough is not good enough. If you are running a University, maybe it is.

The Father Flanagan of Ames himself. Take troubled youth from other teams and mold them into a competitive squad … for a year! With quiet assistance from Ames PD.
No...that guy was Tim Floyd...
Johnny Orr was pretty good at that, too...
Not that Hoiberg wasn’t...but Floyd was the first...and Eustacy was damn good at it too.

The Father Flanagan of Ames himself. Take troubled youth from other teams and mold them into a competitive squad … for a year! With quiet assistance from Ames PD.
I don’t disagree, but let’s not pretend the idea of a student athlete is a real thing anymore.

Reactions: dadster
Fran's system only allows him one way to win games: making shots. I think Fran's system, when it is running efficiently, is a beautiful form of team basketball, I give you that.

But come tournament time, often times things get ugly. Like really ugly. Different venues, different balls, different referees, television constraints, etc. all contribute to a "less than pretty" form of basketball. Fran's teams cannot compete here. They are not tough, they do not guard and they don't make shots. Whereas the successful tournament teams, get in your face, make things difficult, take away the fast break and dare the referees to foul out the entire team which then ultimately forces the game to be officiated a different way. Is it right? No. But it is the way it is.

Bottom line is that Fran is a great basketball coach in the way that the game is intended to be played. But he is a terrible tournament coach.

"I just do not see Fran taking a different coaching job or rushing into retirement. He is a lifer coach."

Bingo. At his age, he's not going to find anything 'better' at this point, unless he's good monetarily and would just want to ride off into the sunset with a lower profile gig

Reactions: hawkdave007
There is a lot of “truths” in the above. Especially about recruitment and retention of players...There aRe lots of folks “associated” with the University and the Athletic Department who are quite uncomfortable with how athletes are recruited under “the new rules”...UIowa has been pretty conservative in its methods of player recruitment ever since the days of (FB coach) Evashevski and (bb player) Connie Hawkins and its school Administration has exercised lots of control over its Athletics as a result...the changes in athlete procurement are quite confusing...everything that has been “illegal” for decades is now standard operating procedure.
I don't care if they are "uncomfortable" with the new rules or not. Coaches (and the University) need to keep up with the times if they expect to compete.

Either you have a strong NIL and hit the transfer portal hard....or you "take the high road" and be mired in mediocrity. Unfortunately, I have felt for years that the University hates athletics and would be perfectly happy to finish in last place in everything.

I don't care if they are "uncomfortable" with the new rules or not. Coaches (and the University) need to keep up with the times if they expect to compete.

Either you have a strong NIL and hit the transfer portal hard....or you "take the high road" and be mired in mediocrity. Unfortunately, I have felt for years that the University hates athletics and would be perfectly happy to finish in last place in everything.
Perhaps the University has taken “the high road” here and has chosen to never embarrass itself like it did in the previously mentioned eras...The University made a decision decades ago and has lived up to it...maybe the University doesn’t “hate” athletics” as much as they understand their role in higher education....athletics exist as part of the education experience....Universities do not exist as support mechanisms for sports.

“..,Unfortunately, I have felt for years that the University hates athletics and would be perfectly happy to finish in last place in everything.”

When I attended the U in the mid 70s (pre-Fry), this most certainly was true, from the university leadership and influential academic heads to the Iowa City Council to the Iowa City PD and university police. Unlike at ISU, the athletics department got no free rides from any IC law enforcement. It was a badge of honor to arrest or ticket a UI athlete.

I don’t know if that’s still true.

Perhaps the University has taken “the high road” here and has chosen to never embarrass itself like it did in the previously mentioned eras...The University made a decision decades ago and has lived up to it...maybe the University doesn’t “hate” athletics” as much as they understand their role in higher education....athletics exist as part of the education experience....Universities do not exist as support mechanisms for sports.
Misguided thinking. Success in athletics draws attention and can help improve the University as a whole.

Fran's system only allows him one way to win games: making shots. I think Fran's system, when it is running efficiently, is a beautiful form of team basketball, I give you that.

But come tournament time, often times things get ugly. Like really ugly. Different venues, different balls, different referees, television constraints, etc. all contribute to a "less than pretty" form of basketball. Fran's teams cannot compete here. They are not tough, they do not guard and they don't make shots. Whereas the successful tournament teams, get in your face, make things difficult, take away the fast break and dare the referees to foul out the entire team which then ultimately forces the game to be officiated a different way. Is it right? No. But it is the way it is.

Bottom line is that Fran is a great basketball coach in the way that the game is intended to be played. But he is a terrible tournament coach.
Really? Great?

Reactions: blhawk
Iowa hosting an NIT game, drawing well under 5K, should be his end. Just like Dr. Tom did.
I am watching the Wisconsin vs Purdue game and I get so frustrated by the recruiting of FM. Purdue has great height and talent every year. But what baffles me is Wisconsin. They have 3-4 talented PGs, 3-4 talented bigs that put us to shame. Then Gard brings in an AJ Storr who is a stud around the bucket and he can score from all over. Did they use NIL dollars to get him? Fran can't seem to get a legitimate PG nor a legitimate big body. What is the problem at Iowa? It can't be the geographics as PJO puts that argument to rest at Iowa State. I believe Beth Goetz needs to act now. Fran brought us back from the doldrums of Lick and Alfred but we are a stale, plateaued basketball program that is unable to compete with the upper crust of the league in recruiting or performance.
I only hope the powers that be realize the poor state of the men's basketball program. They are the ONLY ones that can give us a chance to be relevant again.

I am watching the Wisconsin vs Purdue game and I get so frustrated by the recruiting of FM. Purdue has great height and talent every year. But what baffles me is Wisconsin. They have 3-4 talented PGs, 3-4 talented bigs that put us to shame. Then Gard brings in an AJ Storr who is a stud around the bucket and he can score from all over. Did they use NIL dollars to get him? Fran can't seem to get a legitimate PG nor a legitimate big body. What is the problem at Iowa? It can't be the geographics as PJO puts that argument to rest at Iowa State. I believe Beth Goetz needs to act now. Fran brought us back from the doldrums of Lick and Alfred but we are a stale, plateaued basketball program that is unable to compete with the upper crust of the league in recruiting or performance.
I only hope the powers that be realize the poor state of the men's basketball program. They are the ONLY ones that can give us a chance to be relevant again.
Would like this 1,000 x's if I could.

Reactions: IAmTheLaw151

The game is intended to be played with toughness and hustle. With great guard play, hard nosed/smart defense and good rebounding fundamentals. It is meant to be played with the players who have earned the right to be on the floor and with timeouts called to make adjustments and stem the momentum of the opponents.

Fran has been a failure in these areas...not sure how you can use the word great outside of the offense, developing individual scorers, and in bounds plays

On the other hand,

Core is pretty good though not optimistic on Pryce and Bowen. Neither are P5 material.

“..,Unfortunately, I have felt for years that the University hates athletics and would be perfectly happy to finish in last place in everything.”

When I attended the U in the mid 70s (pre-Fry), this most certainly was true, from the university leadership and influential academic heads to the Iowa City Council to the Iowa City PD and university police. Unlike at ISU, the athletics department got no free rides from any IC law enforcement. It was a badge of honor to arrest or ticket a UI athlete.

I don’t know if that’s still true.
I can't agree with that. I grew up in IC, grew up with the kids of some ICPD officers, and there was a lot of leeway given to athletes, especially from a few cops who were wrestling fanboys. There were quite a few courtesy rides home extended to coaches who would get a DUI today. Roy. Marble and Ed Horton probably changed this culture in a legendary brawl downtown.

Reactions: littlez
Core is pretty good though not optimistic on Pryce and Bowen. Neither are P5 material.
Not sure I have concluded Pryce or Bowen can't play P5 BB, but the team looks very promising, especially if Tony returns and Patrick does not. We could use another center and depth at guard, but a talented group of young players who actually play on both ends of the court.

- If he’s honest, he has to see the relationship between his family and Iowa fan base has cooled considerably (if it ever was that warm to begin with.)
- His coaching at Iowa has plateaued. He picked up the pieces from two disastrous hires and restored the program to respectability. But middle of the conference finish seems to be his teams’ ceiling at Iowa. Selection to the (expanded) NCAA tournament is never a given; advancement beyond the first round unlikely.
- He’s unable to recruit and to coach physical and mental toughness at this level to compete day in and day out in the B1G. His teams are soft.
- Four programs will be joining the B1G next season, including traditional powers UCLA and USC. Another newcomer, Oregon, just dismantled No. 1 seed Arizona in the final PAC-12 championship. Wins are going to be harder to come by.
- In only three years at cross-state rival Iowa State, TJ Otzelberger has eclipsed Fran in terms of building athletic teams and W-L record. There is an excitement in Ames that is missing with MBB in Iowa City.
- The success of the Iowa WBB program is proof it is possible to fill Carver Hawkeye — as bad as it is — with passionate screaming supporters. Why can’t Fran’s teams do that? Certainly he has to notice and wonder.
- How does Fran like working with a new AD? What input will she have now that the season is over?
- His second oldest son, Patrick, does not appear to have his head or his heart in playing basketball at this level. Certainly Fran has to see and hear the criticism of PMac’s play and the minutes he gets compared to other, perceivably better players. Would Patrick be more comfortable elsewhere? Or not playing?
- Youngest son Jack won’t play at Iowa, seeing the kind of criticisms leveled at his brothers. There’s also that legal matter that may make it difficult to stick around.
- Fran himself doesn’t seem to be having much fun. His mood and demeanor during interviews and post-game news conferences seem downright dour at times.

He comes across as a coach who could use a break and a fresh start in a new environment, for himself and for his family.
That's a lot of conjecture. I don't know how you feel qualified to determine how Fran and his family feel unless you have inside information. I don't see how you can say he doesn't seem like he's having fun. Jack seems to have independently made a decision to go elsewhere. Good for him. Patrick graduated. He isn't coming back for a 5th season, but I don't know that from watching him on TV you can say he doesn't have his heart in basketball.
I don't think Fran's coaching has plateaued, so much as he's been consistent. He took over a burning dumpster on top of a pile of burning tires. Minus year one and a few bumps along the way, he has won games, and his players have graduated.
I don't think adding four schools changes much. Some of those schools have underperformed, including an Oregon team that has underperformed, and UCLA and USC who are not NCAAT teams this season.
The comparison to the women's program isn't a good one. Check in on attendance next year when Caitlin Clark is gone. Bluder has drawn well, but the atmosphere will probably never be replicated. Clark was a once in a lifetime player.
I'm I happy about this year as a long time season ticket holder? No. Do I wish Fran had a better success rate in the NCAAT? Absolutely . Do I wish he spent a little more time on defense and rebounding? Yes. The defense is predicated on made baskets allowing for them to set up their defense. It didn't work out as well this season. Fran isn't going anywhere unless it's on his terms, and he has not indicated to anyone that he is leaving. He certainly isn't walking away from the money he is owed. He had a promising class of freshmen, and two good ones coming in for next season. The one slight bit of conjecture I'll allow is that he is getting up there in years, and He doesn't seem like a guy who wants to coach into his 70s.

Reactions: littlez
do it jewish GIF

Yes… been a perfect time for a few years now. Time to reboot the program …

Not sure I have concluded Pryce or Bowen can't play P5 BB, but the team looks very promising, especially if Tony returns and Patrick does not. We could use another center and depth at guard, but a talented group of young players who actually play on both ends of the court.

Obviously I am making my own projection based on what I have seen (Bowen and Pryce). Would love to be wrong.

A better question to ask instead of should Fran be replaced, is who is going to buy out his contract? Not UI unless a booster with deep pockets wants Fran gone. Which is another way of saying Fran isn't going anywhere.

On the other hand....I don't see him walking away from over $3 million per year, especially since all he has to do to keep his job is be better than Lickliter.

The University of Iowa: where "good enough" is good enough.
This. For some reason Iowa has turned into the place where coaches can come and spend their entire careers without ever having to worry about being let go for mediocre results year after year after year after year. Am seriously hoping Beth Goetz changes that. The University, fans, state deserve programs that are committed to doing what it takes to compete for championships, which includes changing up the status quo when it becomes clear it ain't getting it done.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT