ADVERTISEMENT

Perfect time for Fran to move on?

Raveling left UIowa for another job. He was NOT fired. He left UIowa for Southern Cal. There were stories later about why Raveling left Iowa but he was never fired from UIowa….he left UIowa on his own accord for another MAJOR college basketball job.
fyi, I NEVER said he was fired. In fact, here's my post from another thread w/ the man's own words from a UPI article.... as well as Stringer's and an NAACP rep from Des Moines who mentioned GR took a pay cut to go to USC.

I also stated the UI would not fire Fran and that even if the university opened the door for him to leave ;), it would look like Ravelings exit (personal reasons)

https://iowa.forums.rivals.com/threads/fran-and-lisa-have-a-type.439568/post-11981345 (#166 of Fran-and-Lisa-have-a-type. thread)

When George Raveling Thursday announced he would depart the...

'Often you have to go where your calling is and where you're wanted,' Raveling said. 'The University of Southern California wants me to be their basketball coach.'

'I just think my comfort zone is more compatible with an urban area than an area that is much smaller.'

Raveling said despite a consensus to the contrary, two recent newspaper articles had little to do with his departure.

An article which appeared in the Seattle Post-Intelligencier and was quoted throughout Iowa indicated many fans disliked the former Washington State coach because he was black and recruited too many black players. Another article in the Muscatine (Iowa) went a few steps beyond and even criticized Raveling for having a predominantly black team.

Still, Raveling said race had little to do with it.

'That story didn't have as much influence as some people think,' Raveling said. 'In my heart I believe 95 percent of the people in Iowa believe in racial equality.'

Iowa women's basketball coach C. Vivian Stringer said she was 'embarassed' by Raveling's resignation and also dropped hints that a degree of racism finally pushed Raveling too far.

'Why would one leave this great athletic state when someone has a team emerging on a national level?' Stringer said. 'I think I (understand), and that's probably why I'm upset.'

Larry Carter, president of the Des Moines Branch of the NAACP, said a 'combination of racial overtone and intense pressure' drove Raveling from the state. Carter said Raveling would not have left such a flourishing program had he not felt uncomfortable in Iowa.

'He had no reason to leave,' Carter said. 'It certainly wasn't for money. The package he's getting at USC is less than he received here.'

IMO - Raveling felt pressure b/c he would often get out-coached at halftime and many were critical of the results.

There's always a small faction that brings race into it. Was then, still is today, and it happens everywhere, even on other campuses. He was an average x & O guy but a great recruiter. The Big10 was a tough league in those days. Michigan (Frieder), IU (Knight), MSU (Jud 'n Izzo), PU (Keady), Illannoy(Henson and $), O$U, Minn (Dutcher)

If that was every fan’s criteria for keeping a coach there would be a lot of unemployed head coaches.

Maybe Princeton’s head coach is available. They made the Sweet Sixteen last season and only have 4 loses this season.

Opps…never mind. Looks like they’re not making the tournament this year. A 17 loss Brown team beat them and is going in their place.

In order to make the Sweet Sixteen you have to be BOTH lucky and good!
I swore I watch Yale beat Brown in their conference championship game. I don't think Brown is going with a 13-17 record.

I would like to see ncaa tourney 4/5 years and stay within that 4-6th Big 10 at worst. 1 sweet 16 minimum in that time frame. So in every 4 tourney appearances...we get to 2nd weekend at least once.

So basically what fran has done.... but with post season success and more focus on defense and guard play. Since my 3 wish list items will never happen (based on what we've seen this long in frans tenure)... I would be happy to role the dice with someone else
Fran was NEVER hired for “defense”…..By anyone! As someone from Sienna said when Iowa hired him…. ”Two things Fran will do at Iowa……1) his teams will score a lot of points (remember who Fran replaced!) and 2) when a starter gets his second foul in the first half, he will sit the rest of the half next to Fran on the bench….”.
Methinks Fran has accomplished all he was hired to do! ;)

I swore I watch Yale beat Brown in their conference championship game. I don't think Brown is going with a 13-17 record.
Yeah… feel bad for Brown.

They lost in final second to Yale after leading by 4 with 25 seconds to play. You have to hit your free throws (missed 3 of 4 under a minute to play). Would have been first time ever that an Ivy League team that didn’t finish 1st or 2nd in conference play made the “Big Dance”.

Last edited:
Fran was NEVER hired for “defense”…..By anyone! As someone from Sienna said when Iowa hired him…. ”Two things Fran will do at Iowa……1) his teams will score a lot of points (remember who Fran replaced!) and 2) when a starter gets his second foul in the first half, he will sit the rest of the half next to Fran on the bench….”.
Methinks Fran has accomplished all he was hired to do! ;)
Agree 100% - fran was hired to inject life into a program desperately needing it. He succeeded. His formula however has a low ceiling

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT