ADVERTISEMENT

kids listening to rap music

iowahaha1

All-Conference
Apr 15, 2015
anyone else out there having kids that listen to rap music? I may be out of touch a bit, but I cannot stand some of the music my kid listens to, ie: Drake, Travis Scott. Much of it sounds like mumble talk or straight auto tune. Is this type of music what teenage kids listen to these days?

anyone else out there having kids that listen to rap music? I may be out of touch a bit, but I cannot stand some of the music my kid listens to, ie: Drake, Travis Scott. Much of it sounds like mumble talk or straight auto tune. Is this type of music what teenage kids listen to these days?
Yes. My son is 19 now and it’s being going on since he was probably 12 or 13. I can’t stand most of it. Just wait until they want to put music on in the car laced with N bombs. I can understand carefully chosen n bombs for impact, but some of the songs it’s like every 5th word. Good times.

kids listening to rap music is a tale as old as time:

Run dmc, nwa (and all the solo albums from the various members), public enemy, de la soul, tribe called quest, epmd, boogie down productions, busta rhymes, naughty by nature, whodini, cypress hill, big daddy kane, sir mix a lot (Seminar is a better album than the one with “baby got back”, fight bar if you disagree), digital underground. Were some of my “go tos”

Man, it's the world we live in. You can't be a get off my lawn old man yet.

As a coach it’s what they listen to in the locker room, pregame etc. It’s hard on the ears but you learn to block it out. It’s funny though, on long bus rides home after a victory sometimes they play the classics and sing together like they are working on a choir scholarship. Songs like American pie, country road, brown eyed girl, etc.

As a coach it’s what they listen to in the locker room, pregame etc. It’s hard on the ears but you learn to block it out. It’s funny though, on long bus rides home after a victory sometimes they play the classics and sing together like they are working on a choir scholarship. Songs like American pie, country road, brown eyed girl, etc.
A lot of kids have playlists with songs from the 60s and 90s, with a little 70s and 80s thrown in. It's kind of funny on lab days when many know the lyrics of my old man music.

Rap Hiphop GIF

Most “popular” rap I don’t appreciate as the lyric content just isn’t there. However there are some modern artist I still like:

Joyner Lucas
Kendrick
big x tha plug
That Mexican OT

My father hated the hard rock music I listened to in the 70s. Chances are, that trend will continue with your kid's kids.
"Rock 'n' roll is the most brutal, ugly, degenerate, vicious form of expression — lewd, sly, in plain fact, dirty — a rancid-smelling aphrodisiac and the martial music of every side-burned delinquent on the face of the earth."

Frank Sinatra

It's their music. Just like my era had their music.

No biggie for me. I'm not going to slander it because I don't necessarily care for it. The good thing is as kids grow up, they tend to seek out new music to them, so they'll both keep up with what's current as well as dig into stuff from before their time - just like my era and all eras have.

Thus far I have disguised Christian rap as passable rap. It's really not a ton about biblical teaching and actually more "pump up" music about sports/winning. I have it mixed in with edited rap music. I coach girls and my rule has always been no N words and no songs that degrade/ uses women. Zero profanity in warmup playlists.

I've had very, very little pushback.

Rap is popular for 3 reasons:
1- lyrics that resonate with some.
2- beats that get people hyped up that have nothing to do with the lyrics (this is most people)
3- other people told them it's supposed to be cool or something you will be in trouble for listening to.

It's their music. Just like my era had their music.

No biggie for me. I'm not going to slander it because I don't necessarily care for it. The good thing is as kids grow up, they tend to seek out new music to them, so they'll both keep up with what's current as well as dig into stuff from before their time - just like my era and all eras have.
Agreed.

I believe this thread is more about how poor and lazy mumble rap is compared to the first 30 years or so of the genre, and how gullible children are when it comes to picking music to like and/or consider "good".........................

;)

Reactions: torbee
Most “popular” rap I don’t appreciate as the lyric content just isn’t there. However there are some modern artist I still like:

Joyner Lucas
Kendrick
big x tha plug
That Mexican OT
J. Cole and Drake are artists. Drake just spends his time rapping about things that keep him trending.

There’s some real dogshit out there. How NBA Youngboy or Kodak are popular is beyond me.

Reactions: Sexican
"Rock 'n' roll is the most brutal, ugly, degenerate, vicious form of expression — lewd, sly, in plain fact, dirty — a rancid-smelling aphrodisiac and the martial music of every side-burned delinquent on the face of the earth."

Frank Sinatra
Good summary of all the things kids have loved about rock music for many decades. Thanks, Frank.

It's late like mainstream music has been for a long time... Most of it sucks. Rap and hip-hop no different. There are some trends that need to go away in hip-hop. Overuse of auto tune being a big one.

Reactions: iowahaha1
I’ve always liked some of most types of music. Mainly hard rock growing up while my folks liked country and Elvis. I liked Run-DMC and the Beastie Boys for a while. Now mainly classic rock (Pink Floyd and AC/DC and Aerosmith rule) but also old country. The new country is bad (Jaime Johnson is great), but Hank she and DAC and George Jones and Willie are awesome.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT