ADVERTISEMENT

kids listening to rap music

It drives me crazy that he listens to it. I guess as a parent you teach your children to try not to use the n word. My son played his music in the car and the lyrics were dropping n bombs and glorifying drug use. I guess they are just lyrics and just music. I just hope it is a phase.

It drives me crazy that he listens to it. I guess as a parent you teach your children to try not to use the n word. My son played his music in the car and the lyrics were dropping n bombs and glorifying drug use. I guess they are just lyrics and just music. I just hope it is a phase.
Do you “old man yells at clouds” when your child watches unsavory things on tv or plays certain video games?

Does he listen to other music besides rap, and would you be as offended if he listened to a rock band singing of drug use or is there something about rap music that would bother you more that he listens to it?

I guess when i was growing up, my parents took a hands off approach on what i listened to or the movies i watched. They chose not to fight that battle, but opted to be more involved with how i was doing in school, my behavior and stuff like that. i caught hell if i acted inappropriately.

Reactions: InsaneHawkJJP
It's not even music. Just vile and nasty poetry with a drum machine.
Seems like music to me…

Reactions: nelly02
I appreciate how some of of you seem resigned to your kids listening to it despite your objections. Why? It's your house and your rules until they're adults and leave

I appreciate how some of of you seem resigned to your kids listening to it despite your objections. Why? It's your house and your rules until they're adults and leave
I bought him some headphones so I don't have to hear it. He isn't allowed to play it when my daughter is in the car. Im happier that she listens to Luke Bryan and zac brown. Not that they are perfect but its a step in the right direction in my opinion

I bought him some headphones so I don't have to hear it. He isn't allowed to play it when my daughter is in the car. Im happier that she listens to Luke Bryan and zac brown. Not that they are perfect but its a step in the right direction in my opinion
Forget who said it, but I thought it rang true... for teenage boys, rap music is the music of aggression anymore. Rock is basically dead. If you want something aggressive, something to get your blood pumping, it's all rap.

Forget who said it, but I thought it rang true... for teenage boys, rap music is the music of aggression anymore. Rock is basically dead. If you want something aggressive, something to get your blood pumping, it's all rap.
Idk, my kids mostly listen to rap, but they also listen to Rage Against The Machine, AIC, Nirvana, Metallica, Motley Crūe, CCR, Led Zeppelin, Jack Johnson…I finally had to put my foot down on the rock music when I came home to ten little dudes belting out Bon Jovi’s “Livin’ on a Prayer” and promptly made them play their bitches and hoes trap music.

Last edited:
I’ve always liked some of most types of music. Mainly hard rock growing up while my folks liked country and Elvis. I liked Run-DMC and the Beastie Boys for a while. Now mainly classic rock (Pink Floyd and AC/DC and Aerosmith rule) but also old country. The new country is bad (Jaime Johnson is great), but Hank she and DAC and George Jones and Willie are awesome.
So basically you are like me, you can identify and appreciate good music from across genres. My playlists go from Frank Sinatra to Iron Maiden to Willie Nelson to NWA to Tchaikovsky. I even love a good polka. I'm all over the place as long as the music is good.

There is nothing good about this mumble rap crap

My 21 year old listened to all the modern mumble rap crap and has since moved on to NWA, Biggie, Tupac, Motley Crue, Def Leppard, Nirvana, etc. It's like he's discovering 80s and 90s music for the first time and his mind is blown. Dad, have you heard this? Umm, yeah, only the best era of music.

Just like when you were a kid, except now they have super computers in their pockets with access to 99% of the wold’s information and music.

anyone else out there having kids that listen to rap music? I may be out of touch a bit, but I cannot stand some of the music my kid listens to, ie: Drake, Travis Scott. Much of it sounds like mumble talk or straight auto tune. Is this type of music what teenage kids listen to these days?
These days? Where have you been? Teenagers have been listening to rap for 50 years.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT