ADVERTISEMENT

Kinnick North replacement

PogeyKahn

HR All-State
Apr 28, 2006
The new Vikings stadium is rising on I35. They are trying to add the Big Ten Championship game to the Superbowl and Final Fours they have already lined up.

I think it is in the best interest of Nebraska, Iowa, Minnesota and Wisconsin fans to see the BT Championship game rotate to the West in the next few years, and this place will be close to JerryWorld in features.

I like the way the Indy Stadium looks on TV, but this one might be a step up for the Big Ten Championship. I like watching football outdoors if the weather is 15 degrees or above without wind, so I'd like to see the game move out of Indiana to Chicago, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, DC, Balt, Met Life in NJ, or inside at Minneapolis or Detroit. I am personally sick of Indy as the fans in Ohio and Michigan (or IU, Purdue, Ill andNW that all are awful) get to dominate.

Maybe the Iowa MN game will some day return to this site. I doubt it, but it is possible.

I rode by it on the bike path today and it is starting to resemble a football stadium. Apparently it will not host Major League Soccer as that bid went to the other group that is associated with the Twins and a soccer only stadium with a 20K capacity west of Target Field.

link

This post was edited on 3/27 12:42 AM by PogeyKahn

This post was edited on 3/27 1:12 AM by PogeyKahn

Vikings Stadium Cams

I have a feeling that a lot of events will be looking for new, non-Indianapolis venues as soon as they can get out of their contracts there.....

Originally posted by BondHawk:
I have a feeling that a lot of events will be looking for new, non-Indianapolis venues as soon as they can get out of their contracts there.....

New law passed yesterday in Indiana doesn't help either. NCAA has already said it may consider the law when awarding tournament bids. I hope the B1G follows suit.

Originally posted by LinusPF:
Originally posted by BondHawk:

New law passed yesterday in Indiana doesn't help either. NCAA has already said it may consider the law when awarding tournament bids. I hope the B1G follows suit.
Oh? I don't follow the actual news......at all. So what is this stuff about migrating out of Indianapolis at the earliest convenience, and this new law?.....

The only law I see is one that allows business to decide to not serve customers if it violates their religious beliefs. The articles I saw framed it as anti-gay legislation. I suppose a case where someone doesn't want to make a wedding cake for a gay couple would qualify. Or if a christian couple wants bacon on their cake and the Jewish cake shop refuses because pork is against their religion. One article I saw said 19 other states already have similar laws in place.

Not sure what this has to do with the B1G Championships, so maybe there's another law, or maybe there's 19 other states the B1G/NCAA are considering pulling out of also.

This post was edited on 3/27 9:22 PM by thewop

No way does Minnesota move the Iowa game from T-Bank Stadium to the new Viking ship stadium. Gophers went down hill when they left their original stadium and moved to the Metrodome in the first place of course that wasn't the main reason why they went down hill till Holtz and Mason arrived.

As far as the B1G championship you can count on that being a very good chance of happening once the stadium is completed.

I am confused that the Vikings are marketing a new facility. There appear to webpages related to this new facility: videos, photos, updated articles, multiple webcams, latest info, FAQ section .....

My understanding of marketing is that new facilities should be kept a secret from the public. At least until the graphics are done.

Originally posted by PogeyKahn:

Maybe the Iowa MN game will some day return to this site.
First, you're now playing Wisconsin at the end of the year and the MN fan base would never stand for playing a game in the Taj MaZiggy.

...a soccer only stadium with a 20K capacity west of Target Field.
No way the state will contribute to the building of yet another stadium. And why was a franchise awarded without a stadium in place?

I mentioned it as possibility, but I agree with the Husker fan and very much doubt that the Gophers will ever move any games from TCF back to downtown, but I could see some basketball games played there for NCAA hosting preparation, which I think they have to do before any final four. For reasons of novelty they could probably sell most of the Basketball configuration tickets and get a nice check as well. .

I do think that the stadium authority is going to make a very strong push to get the Big Ten Championship game when the Indy Agreement is over. The word is that the facility is going to be very well appointed, although maybe not quite to the level of the Cowboys stadium, but it might make a stronger impression that Indianapolis and Detroit, at a cost of over 1B and all the latest bells and whistles. They actually hired some former WWE executive who handled WrestleMania to manage the day to day marketing of the stadium.

To answer a question previously posted, T\the Vikings have one more year at TCF before this stadium is done. The webcam shows the Star Tribune building still lit up, but it is empty and they will start tearing it down shortly to being work on the open two block area between City Hall and the old "plaza/ train station that is supposed to be sort of a public park to be used for outdoor events before games.

Allegedly the old 1930's era Amory where the Lakers often played when the Minneapolis Auditorium was booked, which faces the new "park" will be repurposed from a parking garage to some sort of indoor pregame event space as well. That along with the new large hotel and Wells Fargo office towers going up should finally bring some lift to this remote, dead end of downtown.

This post was edited on 3/31 8:21 PM by PogeyKahn

Current Webcam II

Maybe the Iowa MN game will some day return to this site.
First, you're now playing Wisconsin at the end of the year and the MN fan base would never stand for playing a game in the Taj MaZiggy.

...a soccer only stadium with a 20K capacity west of Target Field.
No way the state will contribute to the building of yet another stadium. And why was a franchise awarded without a stadium in place?

I threw the concept of a downtown football game out there, but do not think they ever will give up a TCF home game, mainly due to the ugly history of the Metrodome and Minnesota Football.

Regarding that Soccer Stadium, many of the heavy hitters are involved in this team, Glen Taylor (T Wolves, Star Tribune), Bill McGuire (made hundreds of Millions in UHC/ HMO, Marilyn Carlson (Radisson) and the Carl Pohlad's sons. The MLS leadership probably awarded this franchise without the stadium based upon what they know about the ownership.

They do not need any money to build the stadium itself but will demand that some combination of Hennepin County, the City of Minneapolis, and the State create a commission to own the stadium so no taxes are paid, and to ensure the roads and utilities are built up to support the stadium. This ownership ground probably already knows exactly what they expect to be granted, and with their clout I'd be shocked if they did not get it.

The area where this stadium will sit is an underutilized wasteland west of Target Field that happens to have rail access to the new light real line from the wealthy SW suburbs, so the county and the city will be highly motivated that this happens to spurt more new development. This is the so called 'Basilica" site where the Vikings wanted to put the stadium after their suburban stadium was shot down. They like this site because they could control all surrounding development and keep the Metrodome standing until it was finished.

I'm in the extreme minority, but it still makes me sad to not see the Metrodome in that spot. I lived nearby from 2005-2008 and spent tons of time there, almost none of it at Twins or Vikings games. Went to state HS football championships, small college football, and college baseball. Tons of cheap entertainment and good memories.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT