ADVERTISEMENT

Your Future CFB Interest

ButtersHawk

HR MVP
Nov 23, 2021
So what is your interest level with CFB on a 1-10 scale with the recent Proctor news?
Add in NIL and unlimited transfers.

I'm still a diehard Iowa fan obviously I am just not sure I can hitch my wagon to anything more than 12 team playoff appearances. It is pretty evident in the Money Arms Race Iowa should be a good top 25 type program but probably unrealistic to expect perennial top 10 finishes or anything...

I actually am more worried about my general interest in CFB besides Iowa. I can watch any CFB game any day of the week but I'm worried the new landscape kills my passion in the future.

What about you ladies and gents?

So what is your interest level with CFB on a 1-10 scale with the recent Proctor news?

I'm still a diehard Iowa fan obviously I am just not sure I can hitch my wagon to anything more than 12 team playoff appearances. It is pretty evident in the Money Arms Race Iowa should be a good top 25 type program but probably unrealistic to expect perennial top 10 finishes or anything...

I actually am more worried about my general interest in CFB besides Iowa. I can watch any CFB game any day of the week but I'm worried the new landscape kills my passion in the future.

NFL actually has rules and structure for roster building.

That’s my focus now.

To be clear: gross athletic dept revenues are almost meaningless in terms of projections of success on the field.
Now it is all about rich boosters.
Iowa has good athletic dept revenues but lags in NIL money.
ISU BB has a lot more NIL money than Iowa due to one billionaire therefore they have a better program despite lagging significantly in total athletic dept revenues.
It's a brave new world in college sports thanks to the Supreme Court.
It is sad to see guys like Proctor poison the well for others as his type of actions contribute to killing a golden goose.

Let's remember the vast majority of Iowa athletes who are working their asses off in the weight room right now to succeed next fall.
Don't blame Jay Higgins for guys like Proctor or Justice Sam Alito.

I will still be a huge Iowa FBall fan. I want the offense and whole team to be better so that we start beating the favored teams and even get the upset of the top dog teams. Kirk used to routinely beat or play level with florida, penn st, Mich, Lsu, etc etc.

The hawks need to get at least an avg rated offense on the field.

Go get a Rusty Feth type bulldog for one of the OTackle positions and let him protect the QB even if just for a year.

To be clear: gross athletic dept revenues are almost meaningless in terms of projections of success on the field.
ISU BB has a lot more NIL money than Iowa due to one billionaire therefore they have a better program despite lagging significantly in total athletic dept revenues.
It is sad to see guys like Proctor poison the well for others as his type of actions contribute to killing a golden goose.

Let's remember the vast majority of Iowa athletes who are working their asses off in the weight room right now to succeed next fall.
The Scotus ruling did not say anything about unlimited transfers. The NCAA and college football conferences are effing this up.

Their is no reason they could not foresee some of the trash shit that is happening with NIL and the portal to put in some safety rails.

They need to rescind the unlimited transfer rule without sitting out and losing a year of playing time. They need to make transactions transparent if you want to step on the field. I had been for paying players with stipends, 20K a year or even more to supplement them for all the off season workout time they put in when they couldnt be working.

But this environment is ridiculous with players jumping in the portal multiple times. BBall was a joke with the "one and done" rule and now even more of a joke.

Just realize we are in the wildest of west days just before laws and structure come in. It's coming. It won't look like this in 5 years.

Once they become employees with contracts, that changes all of this.
I hope you are correct. Honestly I think the #1 issue is the Transfer rules. I was all for one freebie but transferring whenever you want is absolutely ridiculous. It's mind boggling it wasn't taken care of.

NFL actually has rules and structure for roster building.

That’s my focus now.
This. I’ll still watch iowa games but I have a lot more interest in the nfl these days. Granted they aren’t the most loyal either, most of them work through the terms of their contract.
Plus college football going down the crapper frees up a lot more of my Saturdays so I can go outside and enjoy the weather/nature.

The Scotus ruling did not say anything about unlimited transfers. The NCAA and college football conferences are effing this up.

Their is no reason they could not foresee some of the trash shit that is happening with NIL and the portal to put in some safety rails.

They need to rescind the unlimited transfer rule without sitting out and losing a year of playing time. They need to make transactions transparent if you want to step on the field. I had been for paying players with stipends, 20K a year or even more to supplement them for all the off season workout time they put in when they couldnt be working.

But this environment is ridiculous with players jumping in the portal multiple times. BBall was a joke with the "one and done" rule and now even more of a joke.
The courts have already struck down any transfer restrictions.
The courts have determined that any rules the NCAA imposes constitute restraint of trade and will not allow it.
No matter how pro-active the NCAA had been it was always going to come to this cuz the NCAA cannot win in court.
Sad but true.

• Sad
Reactions: GHawk and Iron Doc

It's going to continue to be the "haves" and the "have nots" on steroids because of $$$.

Proctor should have to sit a year and not have access to any NIL money for a year for what he's done to Iowa. It's ridiculous!

Yes, but Iowa does have a pretty good fanbase size relative to some programs like ISU that don't have billionaire sponsors. Iowa eventually may come out somewhat okay in this NIL stuff if every fan starts giving...but yeah, we are lagging right now.

I attended an Iowa Football game this past fall and it is obvious there are a lot of people that still enjoy the college game day atmosphere. Before it used to be you had to "donate" to athletic department to get better seats and to purchase prime RV parking locations. The Athletic department is going to have to find ways to redirect these donations to NIL to the money making sports athletes while not pissing off the Title9 crowd that wants equal money to womens sports.

I didn't watch much of the college football playoffs and I'll watch less of NCAA tourney this year. There is no doubt the Supreme Court has severely damaged the college sports system. I think revenues will end up getting hurt because fans at places like Iowa are at such severe disadvantage and don't really have a chance of competeing.

Kadyn Proctor...it was a bonus when we thought he came back, and him leaving for the money is no big loss. KF needs to do a better job recruiting on the OL in terms of evaluations and quit recruiting busts at OT.

Reactions: ButtersHawk
The courts have already struck down any transfer restrictions.
The courts have determined that any rules the NCAA imposes constitute restraint of trade and will not allow it.
No matter how pro-active the NCAA had been it was always going to come to this cuz the NCAA cannot win in court.
Sad but true.

Yes I don't think most fans realize it is the Supreme Court and lawyers that have defined the NIL.

Any chance of a fairer system to level the playing field and fix the corruption is going to require legislation
from Congress and we all know Congress can't get anything done.

Iowa needs a billionaire and we don't have one.

• Sad
Reactions: Iron Doc
I truly appreciate what Brad and others have done and continue to do to build the teams and NIL at Iowa. I just don't care enough at this point to donate, nor invest as much in my attention to college football. Basketball isn't far behind.
I'm not dumb enough to think that some programs weren't doing some shady stuff in the past, but where we are now is a bigger story than any game. I don't find myself caring about which group of highly paid skill players, can come out ahead of the other group of highly paid skill players.

Maybe the Proctor move will force the NCAA's hand? Wishful thinking I know.

I gave up gambling, so I don't care 2 licks about NCAA football. I will watch Iowa football games though.

Still have interest in Iowa football but it's mostly because I know no other way at this point.
I Have low interest in college football as a whole, which has been depleting for a little more than a decade.
I knew the conference realignment would disturb my viewership and that looks even more likely to happen now. It was always going to go this way but I still didn't want it. So many programs are going to essentially die as a result. Add in that our coach struggles with rudimentary aspects of the game, yeah, it gets difficult to keep watching at times. Before though, I would never miss a game.

With the NIL changes as well as the brain injury aspects, football has become my second or third favorite sport. I wanted a modest base salary system for NIL that every program would have to adhere to, not a grab all that it became and only rich schools with rich alumni benefit from. College football is just a semi pro league now and the only professional sport I watch is soccer, which has a balance that you know going in.

Reactions: littlez

Can we stop with the one rich booster being the reason for Iowa St kicking our ass in basketball? Because that’s not the reason. They play harder than us and actually play defense. They’re not getting a bunch of 5 star recruits. Cmon.

Waning , It is getting too much like the NFL and that is not good thing. It is going to end up being an NFL ran minor league system with 1 Team per NFL Team in the future and each " recruiting class replaced with a minor league draft class . Zero chance college football will survive in it's current form to see 2050.

Reactions: Hendy hawk
Yes, but Iowa does have a pretty good fanbase size relative to some programs like ISU that don't have billionaire sponsors. Iowa eventually may come out somewhat okay in this NIL stuff if every fan starts giving...but yeah, we are lagging right now.

I attended an Iowa Football game this past fall and it is obvious there are a lot of people that still enjoy the college game day atmosphere. Before it used to be you had to "donate" to athletic department to get better seats and to purchase prime RV parking locations. The Athletic department is going to have to find ways to redirect these donations to NIL to the money making sports athletes while not pissing off the Title9 crowd that wants equal money to womens sports.

I didn't watch much of the college football playoffs and I'll watch less of NCAA tourney this year. There is no doubt the Supreme Court has severely damaged the college sports system. I think revenues will end up getting hurt because fans at places like Iowa are at such severe disadvantage and don't really have a chance of competeing.

Kadyn Proctor...it was a bonus when we thought he came back, and him leaving for the money is no big loss. KF needs to do a better job recruiting on the OL in terms of evaluations and quit recruiting busts at OT.
I know we bitched about Barta not embracing NIL but what you stated is going to become a significant problem for all of our sports not named football. In our now ever ending arms race in NIL is there going to be money for any other sports? College is about so much more than the shit football is becoming. I think most of us (and the entire country) have gotten more enjoyment out of watching our girls play the last 2 years than I have the last 5-10 years of football. Possibly ever except for me when Hayden first got here. What’s the return on investment for any of us in NIL? I’ve got a pro team, it’s the Chiefs. I’m basically checking out.

College is testing my patience. I used to love the college game for its purity (for the most part) and now it’s worse than pro sports with this Wild West mentality and kids committing, recommitting, decommitting…. Playing for 3-4 schools… Proctor is a great example of zero accountability … and may the biggest bag of cash “win.”

I think they'll eventually get things in place like the NFL with multi-year contracts, etc. There needs to be some rail guards on the whole system. I think it will all come full circle too once the data is out on how NFL drafts pan out. I'm guessing in 15 years there will be considerable value placed on athletes who stayed at the school they originally committed to.

I will still watch and if Iowa is good I will definitely watch, but it isn't what it was. It's more like the NFL, but unlike the NFL I can actually watch the team I cheer for in college. So I guess until that changes they aren't really at risk of losing me.

I will watch every Iowa game and as many games as possible each Saturday plus MACtion, Thursday/Friday games, etc just like I always have. College football is awesome.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: Tom Paris and 2D_
NIL has made me realize that CFB is a clown show, and only a novelty at this point. The rich get richer while the poor get poorer. CFB is a disgusting mess that's only getting worse.

The NFL is much more balanced, structured, fair, and by far more interesting.

I bleed black and gold, but I continue to lose interest as time goes on because of garbage like the Proctor Precedent.

Can we stop with the one rich booster being the reason for Iowa St kicking our ass in basketball? Because that’s not the reason. They play harder than us and actually play defense. They’re not getting a bunch of 5 star recruits. Cmon.
This won this season yeah, but they had not dominated us in recent years.

This won this season yeah, but they had not dominated us in recent years.
They've been more successful in basketball than us for awhile. Their fan support for basketball is amazing and while the head to head has been pretty even the product on the court is not even close right now. Point being, let's quit blaming our failures on not having a big money backer. That team plays like a bunch of junkyard dogs, not spoiled NIL kids.

Reactions: Old_wrestling_fan

As a Nebraska fan, I'm not worried about a flaky OL messing with Iowa specifically. But yeah, it's getting harder for me to care much about the sport these days. Some of it is getting older. Most of it is the changes in eligibility, transfer rules, TV timeouts and all of the stuff that we as fans cannot hope to control. I'll watch Nebraska games because I just have to root for them, but that's about it.

As a Nebraska fan, I'm not worried about a flaky OL messing with Iowa specifically. But yeah, it's getting harder for me to care much about the sport these days. Some of it is getting older. Most of it is the changes in eligibility, transfer rules, TV timeouts and all of the stuff that we as fans cannot hope to control. I'll watch Nebraska games because I just have to root for them, but that's about it.
GTFO! Just kidding...... I agree besides Iowa games I still watch other games but I don't go out of my way necessarily. I use to dedicate 10:30AM-10:30PM on Saturdays strictly for football but that's no longer the case

Reactions: Tom Paris
NIL looks like a 50/50 proposition to me.

And I no longer plan my Saturdays around when Iowa plays football.
I DVR The game and when I hear the score I decided if I need to watch it or not. Most of time , the last two minutes is all you really need to see. It's not like i'm going to miss an huge amount of exciting football or plays on offense that could be on ESPN's top plays. Maybe it's age but it's just not as important to me as what it used to be or the sport is not like it used to be.

I've always been a big fan of Iowa football/basketball since the 1970s. The number of games that I missed/didn't watch could be counted on one hand. Since the time when the unregulated world of NIL and the ridiculous free for all that is the transfer portal became a part of the equation, I find myself losing interest with each passing day. With no rules in place for NIL and the NCAA being relegated to essentially a fee collector, this will only become worse and worse. I was always a 9 or 10 on the enthusiasm scale, now I'm a 5 or 6 and trending downward.

If things continue in the current fashion, the number of university teams with any type of chance to actually compete will fall precipitously while the handful of teams who can afford to feed this insatiable monster becomes a much more exclusive club as well. Fan support and TV viewership will fall off a cliff, TV advertisers will not pay a premium to advertise and the TV contract money that supports all of D1 sports will dry up and then all of the athletic departments will face very hard decisions, including shuttering and the potential discontinuation of scholarship based D1 athletic programs. Once the golden goose is dead, there will be no reviving it.

Serious reform and guidelines were needed a long time ago. I fear if the universities and athletic departments don't come together and coordinate together and find a workable solution to this very soon it will ruin everything we love about college athletics and it will be a damned shame, and it's all because of greed and the love of money.

Reactions: ddeanHawk
For me, nothing changes. Ya sucks Proctor left and the NIL stuff is wild amd frustrating but my viewing habits won't be changing.

At the end of the day I just want to watch football.

Reactions: Derekd3408
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT