ADVERTISEMENT

Your Future CFB Interest

So what is your interest level with CFB on a 1-10 scale with the recent Proctor news?
Add in NIL and unlimited transfers.

I'm still a diehard Iowa fan obviously I am just not sure I can hitch my wagon to anything more than 12 team playoff appearances. It is pretty evident in the Money Arms Race Iowa should be a good top 25 type program but probably unrealistic to expect perennial top 10 finishes or anything...

I actually am more worried about my general interest in CFB besides Iowa. I can watch any CFB game any day of the week but I'm worried the new landscape kills my passion in the future.

What about you ladies and gents?
Up until 2021 it was a 10…first Iowa game was 1976. Stopped going to games 2 years ago. Right now I’m at a 6. If I was told I could never watch an Iowa football game again I think I could get over it. Pay for play and the portal ruined it for me. Now it’s basically double or triple A professional football. Not putting my money towards that. I actually go to more professional sports now. Soccer. Basketball. Baseball.

Reactions: kkhawk
Up until 2021 it was a 10…first Iowa game was 1976. Stopped going to games 2 years ago. Right now I’m at a 6. If I was told I could never watch an Iowa football game again I think I could get over it. Pay for play and the portal ruined it for me. Now it’s basically double or triple A professional football. Not putting my money towards that. I actually go to more professional sports now. Soccer. Basketball. Baseball.
I try to watch soccer and do enjoy it but I really struggle being passionate about the sport besides the USMNT

I try to watch soccer and do enjoy it but I really struggle being passionate about the sport besides the USMNT
I decided to be a Liverpool fan about a decade ago and often it feels like being an Iowa fan. lol Granted, Pool has won several titles in that period of time.

I decided to be a Liverpool fan about a decade ago and often it feels like being an Iowa fan. lol Granted, Pool has won several titles in that period of time.
Arsenal is a closer replica of Iowa, although Arsenal is the Minnesota Vikings of the premier league if you want to make the most accurate comparison. Always good and they make a run fairly frequently but then they always blow it at the end of the season. Every. Single. Year.

Reactions: Tom Paris
European Soccer has been slowly filling the space that the semi-pro football league is eating away.

I've followed Manchester United since around 2000, but I watch more EPL games than I do football games. I listen to a Manchester United youtube show every day and another Premiere League show every day, but might check these boards once or twice a week.

Reactions: AEG82 and Tom Paris
Arsenal is a closer replica of Iowa, although Arsenal is the Minnesota Vikings of the premier league if you want to make the most accurate comparison. Always good and they make a run fairly frequently but then they always blow it at the end of the season. Every. Single. Year.
I'm hoping they do it again! ;)

• Sad
Reactions: AEG82 and BioHawk
Proctor has no effect on my interest in CF.

My wife and I (no pics) went to Iowa and had season tix for 40 years. Cost, weather, crowds, parking - all made going to the games less enjoyable, but we don't ever miss a game on TV. Weekends in the fall are happy or sad depending on a Hawkeye win/loss.

We're still likely to tune in Iowa Football even when they become the Iowa Hot & Zesty Doritos.

I'll also watch at least part of other B1G games, ISU games or a competitive game between a couple of P5 teams. But I certainly won't plan my weekend around them.

Proctor has no effect on my interest in CF.

My wife and I (no pics) went to Iowa and had season tix for 40 years. Cost, weather, crowds, parking - all made going to the games less enjoyable, but we don't ever miss a game on TV. Weekends in the fall are happy or sad depending on a Hawkeye win/loss.

We're still likely to tune in Iowa Football even when they become the Iowa Hot & Zesty Doritos.

I'll also watch at least part of other B1G games, ISU games or a competitive game between a couple of P5 teams. But I certainly won't plan my weekend around them.
It's not so much Proctor specifically, it's the status of whatever college football has become. This just isn't fun. Constantly seeing rosters turnover and this crap that goes on between seasons isn't why I love and watch college football. It's not like I didn't expect this to happen, it's why I'm so pissed at the Presidents for being greedy and the NCAA for being toothless to stop it. When the rules were thrown out, this is exactly what I expected to happen. And yet, they are still powerless to do anything about it. Of course, it would have been far easier to control this if they had made up a process before the courts got involved.

10/10. College football is awesome.
My interest in Iowa football is about 3.5/10. I don't go out of my way to watch anymore and don't really care how they end up. Has nothing to do with Proctor, there is just a lot of better football on.

What rules would you all think make sense?
For me just on a whim I'd like to see this...

-1 Free Transfer after that you have to sit 1 year unless your HC leaves, retires, or fired

-NIL no longer directly pays players. It is used as a corporate arm to help players get ahold of restaurants, car dealers, businesses etc for sponsorship type deals.

-All of FBS schools have a pot of 12 Mil to pay players. Can be used like a salary cap and used as seen fit.
For reference 12 Mil /85 Scholarship players is roughly a 141,000 average per player

Of course who the hell knows how you police this

all it will take is to setup and enforce a couple guard rail policies and the portal/nil deal can still allow for respectable cfb. but definitely some balance needs to be restored. it's so weird that inadequate and/or absent leadership has become so pervasive (ie not just ncaa)

Reactions: ButtersHawk
all it will take is to setup and enforce a couple guard rail policies and the portal/nil deal can still allow for respectable cfb. but definitely some balance needs to be restored. it's so weird that inadequate and/or absent leadership has become so pervasive (ie not just ncaa)
I think the NCAA is just the equivalent of a kid throwing a fit after putting up a fight after all these years. Essentially saying "Fine, do whatever you want I don't care anymore"

almost zero as anything other than a distraction when I dont have anything better to do on a Saturday, zero emotional investment now. It is only going to get worse, it is jot the CFB I fell in love with

I know exactly how you feel. A decade ago, I had been trying to figure out a team and Liverpool was always a team I was interested in because it didn't feel like I was bandwagonning due to them winning so inconsistently over the last 30 years. I finally did it when Klinsmann came aboard because I loved him at BVB. Liverpool always seemed like a blue collar team that just couldn't get it figured out but could always threaten and had a very respectable history, passionate fanbase, and I can relate to that. Klinsmann obviously changed the culture and just dominated offensively and that counterattack is just so sweet.

What really did it for me though was YNWA. I mean, c'mon. There is no better anthem in all of sports as far as I'm concerned. I would want to play for them simply because of that. I do like Nottingham Forrest a bit as well due to the ambiance for similar reasons.

I really was pissed when Chelsea got Pulisic. I hated that he fell for it. I so badly wanted him at Liverpool. I tried to like Chelsea afterwards but just couldn't do it and am glad after how they treated him, although, I expected as much at that factory.

Side note, how you feeling about USMNT? I'm struggling with them (been avid for about 20 years now and going to some games this upcoming WC) but I really can't stand Berhalter honestly. Feels just like watching Iowa under KF. That's a more similar comparison for me.

• Love
I know exactly how you feel. A decade ago, I had been trying to figure out a team and Liverpool was always a team I was interested in because it didn't feel like I was bandwagonning due to them winning so inconsistently over the last 30 years. I finally did it when Klinsmann came aboard because I loved him at BVB. Liverpool always seemed like a blue collar team that just couldn't get it figured out but could always threaten and had a very respectable history, passionate fanbase, and I can relate to that. Klinsmann obviously changed the culture and just dominated offensively and that counterattack is just so sweet.

What really did it for me though was YNWA. I mean, c'mon. There is no better anthem in all of sports as far as I'm concerned. I would want to play for them simply because of that. I do like Nottingham Forrest a bit as well due to the ambiance for similar reasons.

I really was pissed when Chelsea got Pulisic. I hated that he fell for it. I so badly wanted him at Liverpool. I tried to like Chelsea afterwards but just couldn't do it and am glad after how they treated him, although, I expected as much at that factory.

Side note, how you feeling about USMNT? I'm struggling with them (been avid for about 20 years now and going to some games this upcoming WC) but I really can't stand Berhalter honestly. Feels just like watching Iowa under KF. That's a more similar comparison for me.
Like him or hate him, he's who we can get. USMNT won't pay the money to get anyone better than him. At least there is a reason he's still around and it's money. You may not like it but that's what it is.

They should pay us to watch. We got this bass ackwards. We need to unionize as consumers. We should have a unified seat at the table.

We are a leg of the stool. Without us the whole model doesn't work.

What rules would you all think make sense?
For me just on a whim I'd like to see this...

-1 Free Transfer after that you have to sit 1 year unless your HC leaves, retires, or fired

-NIL no longer directly pays players. It is used as a corporate arm to help players get ahold of restaurants, car dealers, businesses etc for sponsorship type deals.

-All of FBS schools have a pot of 12 Mil to pay players. Can be used like a salary cap and used as seen fit.
For reference 12 Mil /85 Scholarship players is roughly a 141,000 average per player

Of course who the hell knows how you police this
Put Michael Irvin in charge of it all.

Reactions: ButtersHawk
The courts have already struck down any transfer restrictions.
The courts have determined that any rules the NCAA imposes constitute restraint of trade and will not allow it.
No matter how pro-active the NCAA had been it was always going to come to this cuz the NCAA cannot win in court.
Sad but true.
I wonder if it would be better to have a none and done rule? High school to the NBA or NFL. Play for pay and no college class hassles.

Just realize we are in the wildest of west days just before laws and structure come in. It's coming. It won't look like this in 5 years.

Once they become employees with contracts, that changes all of this.
I truly hope athletes aren’t found to be employees of the UI. It will open up an entire range of new problems. Just wait until the lawyers get involved at that point. They’ll make the discrimination case look like child’s play. I don’t even know if this is legal but if they could make compensation uniform across the schools that would at least provide some certainty for everyone. With that suggestion, I probably just created an avenue for lawyers to get involved.

One thing, the future does not look bright whatever path it goes. At least to me.

At a school like Iowa, hundreds of athletes and coaches owe their deluxe college experience and salaries to the football players. Without the football program the payers of almost all sports would have none of the luxuries they do now. Without footbsll none of the university coaches in any sport would be making squat for a salary and most wouldn’t even have jobs.

So if a football player can make some money, good for him take it. Because damn near everybody in athletics at the school has a lifestyle because of them.

So what is your interest level with CFB on a 1-10 scale with the recent Proctor news?
Add in NIL and unlimited transfers.

I'm still a diehard Iowa fan obviously I am just not sure I can hitch my wagon to anything more than 12 team playoff appearances. It is pretty evident in the Money Arms Race Iowa should be a good top 25 type program but probably unrealistic to expect perennial top 10 finishes or anything...

I actually am more worried about my general interest in CFB besides Iowa. I can watch any CFB game any day of the week but I'm worried the new landscape kills my passion in the future.

What about you ladies and gents?
I used to be a very passionate fan. Season ticket holder. All of my neighbors would know if I was watching an Iowa game. Then Iowa morphed into this super cautious, extra careful mode, doing juuuuuust enough to stay in games with bad teams and get crushed by the really good ones. Now I sit and watch quietly, hoping for the best, but always waiting for us to give the opponent an opportunity to win it at the end of a game . No lead is ever big enough.

As to college football in general, I will always watch the best available game, but it's more of a background noise while I'm doing something else.

Mine had been waning as I get older and priorities change. Iowa brings in a lot of revenue. The big dogs can't keep all happy. Though Proctor is gone ( it was more than just money in my mind), I think it levels the playing field. KF as good and stable as he's been, has benefited by good D coordinators, but his stubbornness is frankly getting boring. Iowa is a joke on O.

With the right coach, NIL has likely leveled the playing field. NCAA rules were a joke anyway. The playing field leveling has been faster in BB but it will happen in football.

I wonder if it would be better to have a none and done rule? High school to the NBA or NFL. Play for pay and no college class hassles.
It would be but you’ll have a hard time convincing the NBA to go back to the old rule and the NFL would never agree to it. Evaluating and drafting high schoolers is/was a high risk for teams. You could end up with a LeBron James or you could get a Sebastian Telfair.

I was wearing a Liverpool jersey in NYC one time. Just threw it on. I couldn’t believe how many comments from Pool fans I got. One lady came up to me in Battery Park. She had season tickets. Her husband was an Everton fan. “Right town. Wrong club.” As we were checking out in the Empire State Building gift shop the cashier said, “You’ll never walk alone. Yeah, awesome anthem.

The men…I don’t follow them like others do. I watch but don’t know the guys. Because daughters, we pay way more attention to the women. I still remember watching the 99ers win it while in Iowa City.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT