ADVERTISEMENT

Kinze Manufacturing is laying off 193 of their 815 employees

QChawks

HB King
Feb 11, 2013
Quad Cities

WILLIAMSBURG, Iowa — Williamsburg farm equipment company, Kinze Manufacturing, is laying off 193 of their 815 employees.

That's according to the Iowa Workforce Development WARN list. The site says workers were notified about the layoffs on Wednesday, with them going into effect Thursday.

This is just one of several mass layoffs at agriculture and farm equipment companies in recent weeks, with many citing an economic downturn in the agricultural sector as the reason. Kinze Manufacturing had this to say about the decision:

We deeply regret the necessity of this action,” said Susanne Veatch, President of Kinze. “This decision was not made lightly, and it is a direct response to current ag market realities.
The company says no other reductions are planned at this time.

Thought I saw Tesla is about to hire hundreds. So, this seems like some doing well and others not. Cyclical.

Thought I saw Tesla is about to hire hundreds. So, this seems like some doing well and others not. Cyclical.
I live right by the plant in austin. the boring company is also near me, his company. and the space x or whatever it's called is 5 hrs south.

He has stated it's a money loser, a "money furnace".... the plant with the trucks.
I've known people who work there and say it sucks. also lots of amazon here, they say that sucks too.
I cannot imagine this guy hiring... he's losing money. however he did recently state he's moving everything from california to here. everything that is left out there. he may need to hire if the Californians don't come here.

Does ag need another bailout or just continue their welfare system?

Then cash their subsidy check so they can buy a new F-150.
I guess the Dems have ragrets over all those farm programs they and FDR started in the 30's...

image.jpg

Yes, the much lower grain prices in the last 8-12 months are really hitting home from what I can tell. Ugh.

Most guys have variable operating notes.

So not only are the prices down, their loan interest just doubled. That's a lot of money on say several hundred thousand of debt. Then if you have inputs staying roughly the same, you have a recipe for disaster. Hell, most land rent is still going UP. How does that even happen?

There's a reason why land isn't selling right now. Too much risk.

The guys with no debt won't lose too much sleep but most will.

I guess the Dems have ragrets over all those farm programs they and FDR started in the 30's...

image.jpg

I have no regrets about the farm programs. And someone on here a few years ago made a very good case for why we need them - involving national security and foreign aid reasons. With some good links.

I just wish the recipients wouldn’t mock other welfare recipients - those that get a few hundred dollars a month at best — and would recognize that they are treated very well by the American taxpayers.

Crop prices are down and interest rates are up.

Even if they have the cash they will just hold on to it.

Most farmers will not be buying new equipment in 2024.
My FIL has hundred of acres he farms and hasn't bought anything new besides a combine in a decade. He always complains about his buddies out buying new equipment and wasting money. Only reason he got a new combine was because the old one caught fire during harvest otherwise he'd still be using that.

My FIL has hundred of acres he farms and hasn't bought anything new besides a combine in a decade. He always complains about his buddies out buying new equipment and wasting money. Only reason he got a new combine was because the old one caught fire during harvest otherwise he'd still be using that.

I'm assuming he's older?

That's the biggest dilemma most of my bigger farm clients have.

They are getting close to retirement and don't want to spend $350k on a USED combine.

Sometimes the "best" thing to do is just pay the damn tax.

I'm assuming he's older?

That's the biggest dilemma most of my bigger farm clients have.

They are getting close to retirement and don't want to spend $350k on a USED combine.

Sometimes the "best" thing to do is just pay the damn tax.
Yes, he's older... but I guess he's always been this way. Says it's wasteful to go buy all these things when what he has works.

Reactions: gohawks50
Yes, he's older... but I guess he's always been this way. Says it's wasteful to go buy all these things when what he has works.
I should add that many of the farms around him have been bought by large out of state corporate farms. They bring in a couple of semis with a crew and equipment to plant and rarely see anyone again until harvest when the big crew comes back to do that. When he passes my wife and her brother are going to have to decide if they want to lease the land or sell it off.

This is truly unfortunate news for those impacted by the decision. The number of people in this country who live paycheck-to-paycheck is staggering and a job loss can be devastating.

Lower grain prices should equate to lower food costs for the consumer.
Consumers want food prices to come down.

The "price" of lower food costs desired by consumers has a negative impact upon those who work in sectors which are hurt by lower grain prices and, in contrast to what consumers demand, would likely benefit by higher grain prices/higher food costs.

Last edited:
Reactions: MitchLL
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT