ADVERTISEMENT

Kirk Ferentz simply does things right; Iowa football's Networking Event is Latest Example

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
31 former Hawkeye players came back to Iowa City for this annual networking event. These experiences are priceless for the players. If not the NFL, then these kids have a degree & connections.

Pics from the event:

CLICK ON IMAGES FOR LARGER VIEW

D8aQBPLX4AIJSA3.jpg

D8aQBPJXYAIsPOS.jpg

D8aQBPMXkAEWvpY.jpg

D8aQBPKW4AA7HdK.jpg

The related article from HawkCentral/Des Moines Register:

Guidance, reassurance emerge from Iowa football's networking event
Dargan Southard
Hawk Central
June 7, 2019

IOWA CITY, Ia. — One by one, Iowa football glory past and present walked through the Stew and Lenore Hansen Football Performance Center. Smiles beamed — at both the surrounding nostalgia and the opportunity ahead.

Kirk Ferentz and the Hawkeyes hosted their fifth annual Networking Night Thursday, an event that blends current and former Iowa football players together on the basis of peeking at the future. Around 30 alums and essentially the entire 2019 squad mingled for an evening of guidance and reassurance.

One could find a wide range of occupational advice. From wealth management and engineering to high school athletics and real estate, Iowa’s previous football stars have ventured far and wide with their playing days completed. Some delayed their common-man futures with professional football runs. Others needed a career seconds after their final Hawkeye snap.

For the first time in the event’s short history, media members were invited to attend portions of the evening. The theme Thursday night: Playing days end for everyone, but options for a successful life do not.

“If you’re going to play football for the next decade, that’s fine and dandy. But at some point — if you’re lucky, it’ll be in your 30s. Maybe if you’re kind of lucky, it’ll be in your late 20s like me. Or maybe it’ll be next year. — your career’s going to be over,” said former Hawkeye Anthony Herron, who’s transitioned from NFL defensive lineman to Pac-12 football analyst and Chicago sports radio figure after retiring in 2007.

“You’re going to want to maximize whatever you developed while you’re here as much as you can.”
Among those receiving advice Thursday, most who met with the media afterward said their post-playing plans aren’t cemented. Perfectly reasonable for 18- to 22-year-olds still soaking in collegiate football fun. Many of Iowa’s former players in attendance admitted to similar thoughts during their playing days.

Which is precisely why Ferentz held this event. Hearing stories and journeys — often circuitous — of how Hawkeyes transitioned to the real world provided comfort for those up next.

“Everyone who I met with, I asked, ‘Did you see yourself doing this when you were in my position?’ And they were like, ‘You know, no.’” junior running back Toren Young said. “A lot of former players talked about how the path is never straight. You may come into something with the mindset that you want to do medical sales — and then you end up doing something completely different. And that’s fine.

“Or some guys talked about wanting to do a certain thing — then they do it — and find out they don’t like it, or it wasn’t the right situation for them. Just hearing that is reassuring, to know that it’s OK not to have every detail figured out right now. The key thing is to utilize your resources here.”

Being a Hawkeye gives you plenty.

“That’s what a lot of these guys were talking about here,” senior tight end Drew Cook said. “We have a huge advantage with the network of alumni who are willing to help us. It’s something that not everyone has. Iowa football is like a fraternity. Everyone is willing to help you.”

Ferentz shared a story illustrating exactly that.

Still searching for his post-playing passion, ex-defensive end Louis Trinca-Pasat came through Iowa City last August and then again for Reese Morgan’s retirement party. He linked up with various former Hawkeyes, hoping their wisdom and guidance would stick.

Trinca-Pasat got connected with former offensive lineman David Porter, now a thriving real estate agent in Trinca-Pasat’s hometown of Chicago. Ferentz said the latter is mentoring the former with much success.

“The best part about it — David was 2002, Louie was 2014 — they had never met,” Ferentz said. “They met through older players, putting them in touch with each other. It took a while, but that’s a great illustration of how things can work and how hopefully it will work. Guys helping each other out.”

Every interaction won’t unfold like that, but Ferentz knows all involved take something away from Iowa’s networking evening.

Although the event hasn’t been around long, it’s clear it isn’t going anywhere.

"Probably of all the things we've done in the last 20-plus years, this event continues to give us the best feedback," Ferentz said. "Our players enjoy it. It has been a good deal, a good initiative."

LINK to Story: https://www.hawkcentral.com/story/s...thony-herron-guidance-reassurance/1358611001/

Dargan Southard covers Iowa and UNI athletics, recruiting and preps for the Des Moines Register, HawkCentral.com and the Iowa City Press-Citizen. Email him at msouthard@gannett.com or follow him on Twitter at @Dargan_Southard.

Last edited:
I'm honestly surprised this event hasn't recieved a little more love from our fans.

I'm interested in learning more, if anyone can shed some light - is this event something that's been taking place for years, or is this a first-time thing?

I'm honestly surprised this event hasn't recieved a little more love from our fans.

I'm interested in learning more, if anyone can shed some light - is this event something that's been taking place for years, or is this a first-time thing?
your answer is in the 2nd paragraph of the article I posted in post #5
;)

Until now, I had no idea this event even existed. I like to think I follow the program pretty closely, too.

Great stuff
I had no idea either. Really awesome.
I really don't see a program like Michigan St, or even Alabama offering something like this.
I'm sure they have " Advisors" available to those who want it, but this deal at Iowa is freaking amazing. Really good idea.

Reactions: rchawk
I think the history of Hawkeye athletics will honor Kirk Ferentz as a truly great coach whose compassion for his players transcended beyond the game of football. Kirk wants to see his players ready and prepared for the much bigger game of life. As I have said before, we are so fortunate to have KF as the leader of our program.

In any general fraternity, this happens naturally for some closer members, but to formalize it and involve the whole scope of players is impressive, unique, and will eventually become the norm around college football as teams keep up with the Joneses. Assuming this is the first instance of such a plan, keep things like this in mind when considering KF's Hall of Fame career bid. Another feather in the cap of the Head Hawk.

If only Ferentz would have spent the time and effort recruiting, Iowa could have been the big dogs of the Legends Division, and up there with the elites. But, it was not to be. He shut down recruiting while bushels of blue chip players were still up for grabs. Difference makers. Lack of roster strength and skilled players throughout has been obvious, particularly in bowl games.

I don't want this to be an indictment of the program, but I am an Iowa football fan. No coach is more important.

If only Ferentz would have spent the time and effort recruiting, Iowa could have been the big dogs of the Legends Division, and up there with the elites. But, it was not to be. He shut down recruiting while bushels of blue chip players were still up for grabs. Difference makers. Lack of roster strength and skilled players throughout has been obvious, particularly in bowl games.

I don't want this to be an indictment of the program, but I am an Iowa football fan. No coach is more important.

If only you would have spent the time and effort with your marriage, you could have been the big daddy of your family, and up there with your family tree. But it was not to be. You shut down love making while bushels of blue ball semen were still up for grabs. Difference makers. Lack of staying power and different positions throughout has been obvious, particularly in bed.

I don't want this to be an indictment on you, but I am a father fan. No man is more important.

If only you would have spent the time and effort with your marriage, you could have been the big daddy of your family, and up there with your family tree. But it was not to be. You shut down love making while bushels of blue ball semen were still up for grabs. Difference makers. Lack of staying power and different positions throughout has been obvious, particularly in bed.

I don't want this to be an indictment on you, but I am a father fan. No man is more important.

This is what I expect of mindless jerks, I knew my post would not be well received but it is objective, honest, and correct. If Ferentz would have dedicated as much effort as other coaches making the money he has been making over the years going after top tier athletes, Iowa's program would be among the top tier programs.

Ferentz has the program to develop players. If he would have raised the level of recruits by even 15 to 25%, extrapolate the improvement, and …..!

He hasn't had to because Iowa fans have been happy with 7 and even 6 win seasons. For 6/7 wins, nothing has to change. Sit back, recruit hard for 2 or 3 months, part time through the year, let things happen. Everybody's happy.

The Legends division?

This is quite honestly one of the most short sighted and generally idiotic posts I’ve ever seen here. It’s so bad I really thought it was tongue in cheek after the first couple of sentences.

I give KF credit for knowing what he does not know. His recruiting change, and handing it over to the young guys has bourne fruit big time. KF knew they had to adapt, and he did, although its to a world he does not like and understand in social media, etc.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT