ADVERTISEMENT

Kris Murray - Way-to-Early 2023 NBA Mock Draft

That mock had only 2-3 guys who were not frosh or from a pro league. Kris is the only junior w another guy a sophomore. Kris is the oldest guy in this mock.
I have to say that Keegans success looks like it is going to help Kris tremendously in this process.

That mock had only 2-3 guys who were not frosh or from a pro league. Kris is the only junior w another guy a sophomore. Kris is the oldest guy in this mock.
I have to say that Keegans success looks like it is going to help Kris tremendously in this process.
The majority of players who have the talent to play in the nba can be identified at 19 or 20 and thats when they go.

Very few late bloomers change enough to go from one category to the other.

Thats why you don't see old players get drafted.

Kris probably would have been drafted last year had he been allowed to be the starter at the 3 instead of being the back up 5.

Historically Iowa has struggled mightily to get our players drafted at all...having back to back 1st rounders would be amazing.
The murrays are true unicorns for our program.
Their timing is impeccable as the current NBA loves long wings who can shoot the 3. Most of these guys in the mock fit that profile.

Honest question from a non-NBA follower. What is the benefit to having younger guys that aren't polished in the league so quick? Don't many either play G League or not many minutes unless you are a lottery pick? Isn't college about the same, but not as deep, as the G League?

Reactions: Bishop1971
Honest question from a non-NBA follower. What is the benefit to having younger guys that aren't polished in the league so quick? Don't many either play G League or not many minutes unless you are a lottery pick? Isn't college about the same, but not as deep, as the G League?
There is no direct benefit specifically to age.

Players get drafted young because that's as soon as you have access to them.

You don’t draft players because they are young you draft talent as soon as you have the chance despite the age.

Most guys who have the talent to play in the nba are obvious at 18 and so they have no reason to wait to get paid.

Everyone wants to draft a superstar and to do that you have to draft that player as soon as they are available which is 19ish.

Its supply and demand, supply is limited thus people will over pay or in this case pay too soon.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bishop1971
There is no direct benefit specifically to age.

Players get drafted young because that's as soon as you have access to them.

You don’t draft players because they are young you draft talent as soon as you have the chance despite the age.

Most guys who have the talent to play in the nba are obvious at 18 and so they have no reason to wait to get paid.

Everyone wants to draft a superstar and to do that you have to draft that player as soon as they are available which is 19ish.

Its supply and demand, supply is limited thus people will over pay or in this case pay too soon.
To add to this, the NBA has put a lot of money, time, and effort into adding tools to help young players succeed and keep them around until they are ready to succeed. The expanded G League is the center of it, but everything from expanded rosters to two-way players to the one and done rule are all aimed at avoiding the pitfalls that lead to the Kwame Browns of the world. The Murray twins really are unique in being as late-bloomers as they are.

In addition, several NBA teams have been sending scouts to games to see Kris in person.

March 6, 2023

USA Today Sports

2023 NBA Mock Draft 4.0: Predicting all 58 picks before March Madness begins

#21: Brooklyn Nets (via PHX): Kris Murray​

Iowa Hawkeyes, Junior, 6-8

Cedar Rapids, IA

DRAFT AGE: 22.9

STATS: 20.5 ppg (35.2 3p%, 59.4 2p%), 8.0 rpg, 1.8 apg, 1.7 stl%, 3.4 blk%

Although he is a bit older than most of the other first-round candidates, Kris Murray is someone who checks almost all of the boxes you could want from a prospect. He already has four separate games with at least 30 points so far this season and he projects as a solid value pick.

Kris-Murray.jpeg

The full story:

Reactions: Hawksfor3
Seems crazy to think Kris will be taken in an early round - don’t think there’s been a single game this year where I’ve thought “wow, this guy is awesome.”

Just me?
Could be a side effect of watching Keegan the last two years.

Seems crazy to think Kris will be taken in an early round - don’t think there’s been a single game this year where I’ve thought “wow, this guy is awesome.”

Just me?
An important thing that comes into consideration when considering players for a Draft or Trade is how that player fits within the team. In Keegan's case, the Kings GM, Monte McNair felt that he was a perfect fit for the organization.

Not a single game.

Kris has a good stroke from deep but plays soft and lacks aggressiveness. I understand his PPG statistic is very good but I’m rarely impressed with his overall play.

Thankfully for him, the NBA won’t be calling me for my opinion.
Yeah, there have been a handful of games that make me question the first round pick but then i think about his progress from last season to this and honestly didn't think he was ready to be a starter last year. Just like i thought Keegan was a great bench player his freshman year. These two get noticeably better every year. That's why i expect Kris will be 1st round. His trajectory is still trending up. Wouldn't mind gim playing another year here but he's definitely on a schedule on when to go pro. I think another year 8n college and he would be a lottery pick like his brother.

Reactions: Mohawkeye

NBA Draft Room's 2023 NBA Mock Draft

#19: (Rockets from Clippers) Kris Murray

PF – Iowa – HT: 6-8 – WT: 225 – WING: NA – Jr
– Brother of Keegan, Kris is a smooth and versatile forward who is putting up big numbers this year. Looks very NBA ready.

I can see Kris being picked somewhere between the 25th and 30th pick in this years NBA draft just on his potential.
It would be awesome if the Kings picked him but don't know if that would happen.

Last edited:
Not a single game.

Kris has a good stroke from deep but plays soft and lacks aggressiveness. I understand his PPG statistic is very good but I’m rarely impressed with his overall play.

How many times has he scored at least 30 points? 3 or 4 I believe. He’s also a pretty good defender and rebounder. He’s a 3 and D type player, as they say. The NBA values guys like the Murrays who can defend just about anyone.

Reactions: littlez
In Portland, wouldn't Kris play a similar role that Keegan is playing in Sacramento?
I haven't been following Portland and their needs, as following the Kings and Keegan has kept me busy LOL. If Portland needs wing players, I can certainly see Kris going to them. If he's anything like Keegan, and I suspect that he is, he could certainly have an impact for them, even if he may not be on the starting roster. My personal opinion is that upon being selected by any team that is interested, a lot will be ironed out in NBA Summer League and possible training camp if invited.

Reactions: Franisdaman
A reminder:

In July Kris was projected as the #19 overall pick (1st round) in the 2023 NBA Draft. Today, Kris continues to be projected as the #19 overall pick (1st round) in the 2023 NBA Draft.

He won't be returning to Iowa next season.

Not a single game.

I'd agree. Kris may get his points, BUT I think it would be interesting for someone of you guys whose into analytics to look at his efficiency and usage rating. What made Keegan an AA NPOTY candidate was his efficiency was OFF the charts. He was a machine scoring with a fairly low usage rate. I think you'd find that Kris is not nearly as efficient. Games like this last one where he scored 15 points on 5 for 18 shooting as example...

I'd agree. Kris may get his points, BUT I think it would be interesting for someone of you guys whose into analytics to look at his efficiency and usage rating. What made Keegan an AA NPOTY candidate was his efficiency was OFF the charts. He was a machine scoring with a fairly low usage rate. I think you'd find that Kris is not nearly as efficient. Games like this last one where he scored 15 points on 5 for 18 shooting as example...

Probably why Keegan was a top 4 pick and Kris will likely be a 19 or 20 pick

He can definitely stroke it from time to time but yikes, I think a franchise would regret selecting Kris with their first pick…

Or maybe he’ll miraculously improve once he begins training with an NBA team.

That said, I hope he’s picked in the 1st and does great in the league!

He can definitely stroke it from time to time but yikes, I think a franchise would regret selecting Kris with their first pick…

Or maybe he’ll miraculously improve once he begins training with an NBA team.

That said, I hope he’s picked in the 1st and does great in the league!
He's having to create his own shot at Iowa. It's very likely his three point percentage will improve when he's catching and shooting while open.

Keegan certainly did.

When you look at how well Garza is playing and is still bouncing between Minny and Iowa, it's pretty crazy how hard it is to make the league.

Kris is hardworking and dedicated to his sport. I like his chances - but maybe not right away.

Reactions: Mohawkeye
When you look at how well Garza is playing and is still bouncing between Minny and Iowa, it's pretty crazy how hard it is to make the league.

Kris is hardworking and dedicated to his sport. I like his chances - but maybe not right away.
Different players. Garza isn't in the nba full time because he can't play switching defense.

Keegan is obviously a better example of how Kris projects but with a little lower ceiling probably.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT