ADVERTISEMENT

Labas

This tells me either:

A.) Our coaches can’t identify QB talent
B.) Our coaches can’t develop QBs
Kevin Durant Hot Ones GIF by First We Feast

I did possibly explain it. Perhaps he's made a course change from the lessons he learned here. I hope he has.
The problem is you're stating something as fact without offering proof. Now if you have a link to the media or coaches supporting your claim ...
FROM THE LINK I HAVE PROVIDED.
While Labas didn't exactly set the field on fire during his bowl game win, he did go 14 of 24 with one touchdown and no interceptions. Plus, he was mobile and showed he could escape the pocket. The throws he did make that day against Kentucky looked a lot better than what Iowa fans saw from Deacon Hill in 2023. So when Kirk Ferentz kept trotting out the old line that Hill looked better in practice than Labas, we all wondered just how bad this kid looked! Well, thanks to some newly unearthed practice video courtesy of Iowa Everywhere, it turns out Labas looked pretty darn good in practice.
So what does this video mean for Iowa football? It could mean that the Hawkeyes let a talented quarterback sit on the sidelines the entire year without getting a chance to prove himself.

The problem is you're stating something as fact without offering proof. Now if you have a link to the media or coaches supporting your claim ...
While Labas didn't exactly set the field on fire during his bowl game win, he did go 14 of 24 with one touchdown and no interceptions. Plus, he was mobile and showed he could escape the pocket. The throws he did make that day against Kentucky looked a lot better than what Iowa fans saw from Deacon Hill in 2023. So when Kirk Ferentz kept trotting out the old line that Hill looked better in practice than Labas, we all wondered just how bad this kid looked! Well, thanks to some newly unearthed practice video courtesy of Iowa Everywhere, it turns out Labas looked pretty darn good in practice.
So what does this video mean for Iowa football? It could mean that the Hawkeyes let a talented quarterback sit on the sidelines the entire year without getting a chance to prove himself.
Well maybe your brother will have some success where he's at now and stop worrying about Iowa.

Reactions: doughuddl2
When fanatics have a crush, they tend to believe whatever rumor supports their narrative.
Has anyone noticed that those smearing Labas can't explain why his current coaches don't have a problem with his drug addiction?
Not that it matters but Cade has a QBR of 35.7. Labas: 41.4

When fanatics have a crush, they tend to believe whatever rumor supports their narrative.
Has anyone noticed that those smearing Labas can't explain why his current coaches don't have a problem with his drug addiction?
Not that it matters but Cade has a QBR of 35.7. Labas: 41.4
So we go from rumors he smoked pot on occasion to now he is addicted to drugs. What a farce this board is. None of this has ever been proven and the jump from smoking pot to addiction? What a joke to smear the kid like this. Good for him to leave Iowa.

You can't have a QB roster as bad as Iowa's over the past 3 years without something being really wrong. Sinister wrong. Abusive wrong. CJ being left in the bowl game wrong.
I know the Beathard's defended Kirk on that decision. But it was about one of the most bone headed moves the Capt has ever pulled. Absolutely no reason for CJ to play that second half. For me, that is when Kirk should've been asked to step aside.

I remember him throwing a 5 yard route way over the receivers head.

But go ahead and keep beating Joey Labas's dead horse into the ground.

Put Joey in ...............................

Versus Illinois:

Game Leaders​

Passing Yards
J. Labas
CMU

J. Labas

12/25, 125 YDS, 1 INT

Yes Labas had a tough game against a ranked Illinois team. Meanwhile, Deacon Hill went 3-6 for 23 yards and 3 sacks before being benched as Utah Tech lost by 28 to Northern Arizona.

Labas is a much better QB than Deacon Hill.

Iowa current/former QBs last week:

Cade McNamara:
19-23-0-176 0 TD (W, 38-21)

Brendan Sullivan: 1-1-0-2, 1 TD (W, 38-21)

Spencer Petras, Utah State, DNP

Deuce Hogan, New Mexico State, 4-13-2-8, 0 TDs (L, 48-0)

Joe Labas, Central Michigan, 12-25-1-125, 0 TD (L, 30-9)

Deacon Hill, Utah Tech, 3-6-0-23, O TD (L, 45-17)

Carson May, Abilene Christian, DNP

Cade McNamara:

What an idiot keep fueling the shit, I hate him and Chad. They are idiots. Don't they have far more constructive things to write about!

• Wow
Reactions: ddeanHawk

Cade McNamara:

Utah Tech got trucked by UNLV, which seems to be a pretty decent team this year. Deac has improved his completion % by about 1/2 of a % from his time at Iowa.

Cade McNamara:

I wonder what Marco Lainez's numbers will look like next season....and for which G5 or FCS team.

Reactions: uihawk82
I wonder what Marco Lainez's numbers will look like next season....and for which G5 or FCS team.
Marco is still a freshman I believe and Sullivan I think has just one more year after this one. So Marco might wait one more year at Iowa if Lester likes him and says he goes into 2025 battling for #1 and is the main #2 QB.

Cade McNamara:

That is a real who is who of college football teams. Straight proof of dogshit ability to identify, recruit and/or develope at the position.

Yes Labas had a tough game against a ranked Illinois team. Meanwhile, Deacon Hill went 3-6 for 23 yards and 3 sacks before being benched as Utah Tech lost by 28 to Northern Arizona.

Labas is a much better QB than Deacon Hill.
Notice the Utah Tech coach had enough brains to bench Hill 6 passes into the game?

I said, on here under my old name in the middle of Petras and Padilla's second years, that not playing Joe Labas was the biggest mistake of the Ferentz years. I feel quite vindicated in that opinion.

There is an upside to having played Deacon Hill, Padilla and Petras and then having to endure his son's termination. I opine that Lester will have a much greater voice in the who plays QB debates. A willingness to bring in a second QB, if only on special plays, is certainly more flexibility than we've seen since CJ and Jake R. We might see a situation where the younger or at least newer player (CJ then, Sully now) overtakes the starter during the season.

Cade McNamara:

Petras was injured in the second quarter of his first game at USU. I would wager he resumes being QB1 on Saturday.

Small world department: Cade's brother Jake is a RS-SO who transferred into NMSU this year after two seasons at UTEP. Through three games he's somewhere behind Deuce (QB2) on the depth chart.

Last edited:
I said, on here under my old name in the middle of Petras and Padilla's second years, that not playing Joe Labas was the biggest mistake of the Ferentz years. I feel quite vindicated in that opinion.

There is an upside to having played Deacon Hill, Padilla and Petras and then having to endure his son's termination. I opine that Lester will have a much greater voice in the who plays QB debates. A willingness to bring in a second QB, if only on special plays, is certainly more flexibility than we've seen since CJ and Jake R. We might see a situation where the younger or at least newer player (CJ then, Sully now) overtakes the starter during the season.
that not playing Joe Labas was the biggest mistake of the Ferentz years

Nice way to say I don’t pay attention without saying I don’t pay attention

that not playing Joe Labas was the biggest mistake of the Ferentz years

Nice way to say I don’t pay attention without saying I don’t pay attention
You know I expressed an opinion. It's not amenable to objective proof because it is entirely personal to me. If you think something was bigger, state your position and why you think that's right.

Either way, there is no reason for the snark and insult. Learn some manners.

• Haha
Reactions: doughuddl2
You know I expressed an opinion. It's not amenable to objective proof because it is entirely personal to me. If you think something was bigger, state your position and why you think that's right.

Either way, there is no reason for the snark and insult. Learn some manners.
Rhabdo was bigger in my opinion
Playing for overtime at the shoe was bigger in my opinion
Hiring Kaz was bigger in my opinion
Several more before I would even consider not playing Labas as a huge mistake

And since you didn’t state why you thought your opinion I won’t with my opinions

Legitimate question. Other than it being personal why do you feel that opinion has been vindicated?

Reactions: ClarindaA's
Rhabdo was bigger in my opinion
Playing for overtime at the shoe was bigger in my opinion
Hiring Kaz was bigger in my opinion
Several more before I would even consider not playing Labas as a huge mistake

And since you didn’t state why you thought your opinion I won’t with my opinions

Legitimate question. Other than it being personal why do you feel that opinion has been vindicated?
Well, my sense of vindication is part of why I think not playing Labas was KF's biggest mistake. Iowa had a unique opportunity in the last four years. Extremely good special teams, extraordinary defense, forced to play too many downs by a terrible offense. By the end of the first Petras year it was obvious he was not very good. Padilla was far worse than Petras and any other QB that started games in more than 40 years. It was also pretty clear that Petras was a statue and Padilla, for some reason, wouldn't run in games and the line sucked so mobility was essential to any QB solution.

So, my opinion is based on this opportunity for big time success was destroyed by playing Petras and especially Padilla and Hill, who weren't just bad but disastrously bad. Moreover, it not only happened in this kind of unique prime opportunity era but it led to the opposite result, Iowa became a punch line instead of the punch. Having heard from the locker room playing the awful QBs instead of Joe Labas create, and Brian Ferentz being a prick about it, created a divided locker room.

I feel vindicated because Labas appears to have the skills those Iowa teams desperately needed at exactly that point in time. Joe's not great but those teams did not require greatness, just competence. Enough mobility to find running holes and taking off instead of squatting the pocket and giving up a 15-yard sack loss. A lot more options available. Just the little nuts and bolts things that the other guys could not produce.

Took some hits on Rhabdomyolysis but the star of that show was a virus and not an individual's coaching decision. Brought out some bad PR but nothing like the ridicule and impact of the last four seasons. No single game could have the national impact the last four years have inflicted on Iowa and its fans.

I have a terrible memory for names. Who was Kaz and for what job was he hired? I obviously cannot form an opinion on this situation because I cannot remember the details, but a brief sentence will trigger into the long-term memory banks, and everything returns fresh to me. Getting old really does suck.

Well, my sense of vindication is part of why I think not playing Labas was KF's biggest mistake. Iowa had a unique opportunity in the last four years. Extremely good special teams, extraordinary defense, forced to play too many downs by a terrible offense. By the end of the first Petras year it was obvious he was not very good. Padilla was far worse than Petras and any other QB that started games in more than 40 years. It was also pretty clear that Petras was a statue and Padilla, for some reason, wouldn't run in games and the line sucked so mobility was essential to any QB solution.

So, my opinion is based on this opportunity for big time success was destroyed by playing Petras and especially Padilla and Hill, who weren't just bad but disastrously bad. Moreover, it not only happened in this kind of unique prime opportunity era but it led to the opposite result, Iowa became a punch line instead of the punch. Having heard from the locker room playing the awful QBs instead of Joe Labas create, and Brian Ferentz being a prick about it, created a divided locker room.

I feel vindicated because Labas appears to have the skills those Iowa teams desperately needed at exactly that point in time. Joe's not great but those teams did not require greatness, just competence. Enough mobility to find running holes and taking off instead of squatting the pocket and giving up a 15-yard sack loss. A lot more options available. Just the little nuts and bolts things that the other guys could not produce.

Took some hits on Rhabdomyolysis but the star of that show was a virus and not an individual's coaching decision. Brought out some bad PR but nothing like the ridicule and impact of the last four seasons. No single game could have the national impact the last four years have inflicted on Iowa and its fans.

I have a terrible memory for names. Who was Kaz and for what job was he hired? I obviously cannot form an opinion on this situation because I cannot remember the details, but a brief sentence will trigger into the long-term memory banks, and everything returns fresh to me. Getting old really does suck.
Rhabdo was a virus issue?
Kaz was a DL coach who created issues in the program.
I find it interesting that you feel the initial Labas games give you vindication. I will probably want to see a few more results. I was a guy who thought anything would be better than the qbs playing but there are more than a few programs who would be happy with the last 4 years w-l records.
Not playing Labas still ranks way down the list of egregious events in the KF era

Rhabdo was a virus issue?
Kaz was a DL coach who created issues in the program.
I find it interesting that you feel the initial Labas games give you vindication. I will probably want to see a few more results. I was a guy who thought anything would be better than the qbs playing but there are more than a few programs who would be happy with the last 4 years w-l records.
Not playing Labas still ranks way down the list of egregious events in the KF era
I remember that guy. He was not at Iowa very long was he? I don't think he could have caused the damage Petras, Padilla and Hill caused. Actually, and I think most will agree, promoting Brian to OC was probably the worst mistake.

I remember that guy. He was not at Iowa very long was he? I don't think he could have caused the damage Petras, Padilla and Hill caused. Actually, and I think most will agree, promoting Brian to OC was probably the worst mistake.
He was there 7 years and was a big negative. And yes BF was a far bigger mistake than Labas not playing.

He was there 7 years and was a big negative. And yes BF was a far bigger mistake than Labas not playing.
Seven years. Had forgotten about him. How long ago was the guy at Iowa. It seems we have fielded a pretty good defensive line for a long time. I do remember Kaz wasn't well liked.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT