ADVERTISEMENT

Lack of boys groups and role models are hurting young boys

Hawk_82

HB Heisman
Sep 17, 2006

Women are are being allowed into boys spaces, but what effect does this have on boys?

There are some interesting stats in this article about how women are receiving all the extra attention despite men falling behind in education, life expectancy, cancer rates, overdoses, etc.

I have been disappointed how boyscouts have gone woke. I thought there was a lot of benefit for boys to be boys without the pressure of girls around.

One of the best role models a boy can have.......is his father.
It was true for me. He taught me to work hard whether it was
in the classroom, the baseball field, or a part-time job in the
Summer. He wanted me to go to college and I did. Most of the
success I had was due to the lessons I learned from my dad.

Did Cub scouts for a couple of years and Boys Scouts for a couple of years. Was pretty corny... we did it to camp and cuz our parents made us. Got far more from playing sports (coaches) and as I got into middle and HS from a couple of good teachers.

Women are are being allowed into boys spaces, but what effect does this have on boys?

There are some interesting stats in this article about how women are receiving all the extra attention despite men falling behind in education, life expectancy, cancer rates, overdoses, etc.

I have been disappointed how boyscouts have gone woke. I thought there was a lot of benefit for boys to be boys without the pressure of girls around.
You definitely seem like the type of boy scouts leader who tries to bang the kids.

Did Cub scouts for a couple of years and Boys Scouts for a couple of years. Was pretty corny... we did it to camp and cuz our parents made us. Got far more from playing sports (coaches) and as I got into middle and HS from a couple of good teachers.
This X 1000

Reactions: Menace Sockeyes
Why is it just because we don't like the OP, we can't discuss the premise? The impact a lack of male, or father figure has on young boys is worthy of discussion, IMO.

Big Brothers Big Sisters of America should be 10x more funded and participated in than it is. IMHO.

Edit to add: OP probably thinks getting the kid a gun and a camaro with a jug of toxic masculinity is the cure. That’s why I wouldn’t discuss it with him.

I love when life makes me think of Brady Bunch episodes.

Big Brothers Big Sisters of America should be 10x more funded and participated in than it is. IMHO.

I totally agree that Big Brothers Big Sisters of America should be way more funded and supported. Given the shifting focus of organizations like the Boy Scouts of America, which are moving away from their traditional roles, I think it's important we increase support for programs that provide strong, positive male (and female) mentorship and guidance.

Edit to add: OP probably thinks getting the kid a gun and a camaro with a jug of toxic masculinity is the cure. That’s why I wouldn’t discuss it with him.
That's fair. I'll discuss it with you, though. :cool:

Here's the TL;DR Summary from the OP's article:

The Boy Scouts of America has undergone significant changes to align with contemporary values of diversity and inclusivity. Since admitting girls to its program in 2019 and rebranding as Scouts BSA, the organization has removed the term "boy" from its promotional materials and introduced a Chief Diversity Officer. As part of its commitment to diversity, all Eagle Scouts are now required to earn a badge in diversity, equity, and inclusion. The recent renaming to Scouting America reflects an ongoing shift towards inclusivity, aiming to appeal to a broader audience by eliminating traditional male-specific elements.

Critics argue that this rebranding and the removal of "boy" from the organization's name signify a broader cultural trend that seeks to diminish male-specific institutions and roles. They contend that the progressive drive to reframe institutions like the Boy Scouts reflects a desire to erase traditional male-centric values and identities. This change is seen as part of a larger movement that prioritizes inclusivity at the expense of historical and cultural traditions associated with masculinity.

The transformation of the Boy Scouts is viewed by some as a loss of an institution that once played a critical role in fostering self-reliance and camaraderie among boys. Critics point out that, amid rising fatherlessness and other societal challenges, the Boy Scouts’ original mission of developing young males through a male-specific code of honor and self-discipline has been overshadowed by modern DEI initiatives. This shift, they argue, risks undermining the unique benefits that such a male-focused organization provided, potentially leaving a void in addressing the needs of boys and their development.

Reactions: McLovin32
There have been studies that show a direct correlation to sports and life success, one of which showed a correlation between bad sports experiences and negative life impact as well as the positive. I'll have to hit the Googles.

Reactions: Hawk_82
There have been studies that show a direct correlation to sports and life success, one of which showed a correlation between bad sports experiences and negative life impact as well as the positive. I'll have to hit the Googles.

There are several studies that explore the correlation between youth sports participation and future life success. Research generally supports the idea that positive experiences in youth sports can have a beneficial impact on various aspects of future life success. Here are some key findings:
  1. Academic Achievement: Studies have found a positive correlation between participation in sports and higher academic performance. For instance, a study published in the Journal of Sports Science & Medicine found that students involved in sports tend to have better academic outcomes due to the development of discipline, time management skills, and improved physical health, which can contribute to better cognitive function.
  2. Social Skills and Emotional Development: Participation in youth sports is linked to enhanced social skills and emotional development. According to research published in the American Journal of Lifestyle Medicine, sports can help children develop teamwork, leadership, and communication skills. These skills are valuable throughout life and can contribute to personal and professional success.
  3. Future Career Success: There is evidence suggesting that individuals who participate in sports during their youth are more likely to have successful careers. A study from the Journal of Applied Sport Psychology showed that the leadership and problem-solving skills gained through sports can translate into better performance in the workplace.
  4. Psychological Benefits: Engaging in sports can provide psychological benefits, such as improved self-esteem and resilience. Research from the International Journal of Sport and Exercise Psychology indicates that the experiences and challenges faced in sports can foster a strong sense of self-efficacy and the ability to cope with stress.
However, it's important to note that the impact of youth sports can vary based on the quality of the experience. Positive outcomes are more likely when the sports environment is supportive and inclusive. Negative experiences, such as excessive pressure, overemphasis on winning, or poor coaching, can potentially lead to stress or burnout, which may diminish the benefits.

Overall, while the evidence suggests a generally positive correlation between youth sports and future success, the specific impact can depend on the individual’s experiences and the environment in which they participate.

[

I agree. We should start by not electing any 78 year old, terminally whiny, victim complex, beta males as our President. This will only further young boys’ view of their gender as inferior.

Honest question, how can the following be fixed?

OooWUh.gif

• Haha
Reactions: McLovin32
There are several studies that explore the correlation between youth sports participation and future life success. Research generally supports the idea that positive experiences in youth sports can have a beneficial impact on various aspects of future life success. Here are some key findings:
  1. Academic Achievement: Studies have found a positive correlation between participation in sports and higher academic performance. For instance, a study published in the Journal of Sports Science & Medicine found that students involved in sports tend to have better academic outcomes due to the development of discipline, time management skills, and improved physical health, which can contribute to better cognitive function.
  2. Social Skills and Emotional Development: Participation in youth sports is linked to enhanced social skills and emotional development. According to research published in the American Journal of Lifestyle Medicine, sports can help children develop teamwork, leadership, and communication skills. These skills are valuable throughout life and can contribute to personal and professional success.
  3. Future Career Success: There is evidence suggesting that individuals who participate in sports during their youth are more likely to have successful careers. A study from the Journal of Applied Sport Psychology showed that the leadership and problem-solving skills gained through sports can translate into better performance in the workplace.
  4. Psychological Benefits: Engaging in sports can provide psychological benefits, such as improved self-esteem and resilience. Research from the International Journal of Sport and Exercise Psychology indicates that the experiences and challenges faced in sports can foster a strong sense of self-efficacy and the ability to cope with stress.
However, it's important to note that the impact of youth sports can vary based on the quality of the experience. Positive outcomes are more likely when the sports environment is supportive and inclusive. Negative experiences, such as excessive pressure, overemphasis on winning, or poor coaching, can potentially lead to stress or burnout, which may diminish the benefits.

Overall, while the evidence suggests a generally positive correlation between youth sports and future success, the specific impact can depend on the individual’s experiences and the environment in which they participate.
This is almost always their own parents. Nobody cares after 5 minutes who won or lost a game until high school. And, even then wins/losses in HS often don't mean much. Its the hard work, dedication, time management, team work, leadership, handling success/adversity, etc... these are what help young people develop.

Reactions: alaskanseminole
I actually will take an unpopular opinion on this subject.

I think it's OK to have groups just for boys and girls.
Not sure why that is unpopular. I think it's fantastic and have never had an issue with it. There just needs to be equal access to activities for both is all. For example, a town should have both a Boys and Girls scout club, not either or.

Of course it is. I’m not a fan of allowing girls into Boy Scouts.
I actually will take an unpopular opinion on this subject.

I think it's OK to have groups just for boys and girls.

I think that the allowing of girls into the Boy Scouts was done more out of survival after all those scout masters were raping kids. And as far as not allowing one gender into the organization, a wise group of men once said “separate is inherently unequal” and they were right.

Reactions: NoleATL
My take on males is that they need to be socialized a bit differently than females and need a stronger guiding hand if you want them to turn into good citizens.

Society in its current configuration is probably more female friendly this way.

If boy scouts was doing a good job of this... lets not lose it or water it down or worry about making it more suitable for females. We have enough of that, they're not left wanting.

Reactions: Hawk_82
And as far as not allowing one gender into the organization, a wise group of men once said “separate is inherently unequal” and they were right.
Oh come on. You're overextending that idea.

There are enough psychological differences that they end up sorting themselves out into a same sex groups anyway. That you might have groups organized on the basis of some of these differences isn't at all unreasonable.

I think that the allowing of girls into the Boy Scouts was done more out of survival after all those scout masters were raping kids. And as far as not allowing one gender into the organization, a wise group of men once said “separate is inherently unequal” and they were right.
So the Girl Scouts were disbanded and remade for all?
You’re splitting hairs with your last sentence.

Reactions: NoleATL
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT