ADVERTISEMENT

Lack of boys groups and role models are hurting young boys

There are several studies that explore the correlation between youth sports participation and future life success. Research generally supports the idea that positive experiences in youth sports can have a beneficial impact on various aspects of future life success. Here are some key findings:
  1. Academic Achievement: Studies have found a positive correlation between participation in sports and higher academic performance. For instance, a study published in the Journal of Sports Science & Medicine found that students involved in sports tend to have better academic outcomes due to the development of discipline, time management skills, and improved physical health, which can contribute to better cognitive function.
  2. Social Skills and Emotional Development: Participation in youth sports is linked to enhanced social skills and emotional development. According to research published in the American Journal of Lifestyle Medicine, sports can help children develop teamwork, leadership, and communication skills. These skills are valuable throughout life and can contribute to personal and professional success.
  3. Future Career Success: There is evidence suggesting that individuals who participate in sports during their youth are more likely to have successful careers. A study from the Journal of Applied Sport Psychology showed that the leadership and problem-solving skills gained through sports can translate into better performance in the workplace.
  4. Psychological Benefits: Engaging in sports can provide psychological benefits, such as improved self-esteem and resilience. Research from the International Journal of Sport and Exercise Psychology indicates that the experiences and challenges faced in sports can foster a strong sense of self-efficacy and the ability to cope with stress.
However, it's important to note that the impact of youth sports can vary based on the quality of the experience. Positive outcomes are more likely when the sports environment is supportive and inclusive. Negative experiences, such as excessive pressure, overemphasis on winning, or poor coaching, can potentially lead to stress or burnout, which may diminish the benefits.

Overall, while the evidence suggests a generally positive correlation between youth sports and future success, the specific impact can depend on the individual’s experiences and the environment in which they participate.

It's not really about sports as much as it is about positive interactions with friends and families.

Oh come on. You're overextending that idea.

There are enough psychological differences that they end up sorting themselves out into a same sex groups anyway. That you might have groups organized on the basis of some of these differences isn't at all unreasonable.
I draw the line at mixing genders in athletics, not the nerd patrol known as scouts.

How does having a random girl in the troop remove the father figure from the kids in Boy Scouts?
I find OPs premise stupid as he is.

I think you have to look at the line where he mentioned "boy to be boys". For some reason OP feels boys can't do certain things if there's a girl around. Not sure what things the OP wants the boy's to be doing, but it's probably something they shouldn't be doing anyway.

Reactions: BelemNole
I draw the line at mixing genders in athletics, not the nerd patrol known as scouts.
Scouts never appealed to me. And I'm not even against gender mixing on that sort of thing. (you can gender mix about anything)

My only point is that there isn't anything wrong some organizations that gear themselves towards one sex or another. That's not inherently wrong. Not everything needs to be made inclusive for all types of person. I think you can lose real value in that pursuit.

Scouts never appealed to me. And I'm not even against gender mixing on that sort of thing. (you can gender mix about anything)

My only point is that there isn't anything wrong some organizations that gear themselves towards one sex or another. That's not inherently wrong. Not everything needs to be made inclusive for all types of person. I think you can lose real value in that pursuit.
Gotcha. Yeah, I hear you. Sensible opinion.

Reactions: Colonoscopy
I think this is getting twisted a bit. I don't think the boy scouts went "woke", although I don't know anything about the DEI badge.

The reason for letting girls in is:

1) Participation in boy scouts was falling to unsustainable levels. For many reasons...being old fashioned, competition from screen time, sports/clubs requiring greater commitment, etc. It was a pragmatic, practical move.

2) Tons of Boy Scout parents have daughters that they would LOVE to be able to do Boy Scouts. Girl Scouts is not Boy Scouts for girls...it just isn't, its a fully different animal. This is something that tons of people involved with scouting would love to have had for their girls.

Boy scouts was life changing for my son. In retrospect, I wish my daughters would have been able to have the same.

Unless things have drastically changed, no troop is forced to be co-oed. They are all-boy or all-girl troops.

So your boy still goes to an all-boy troop, gets to be a boy and around boys and all the good things that entails. But now a bonus, your daughter can reap all the benefits of Scouts as well, in an all girls troop.

The hand-wringing around this issue is so misguided.

Like, being mad about girls having Scout troops is like being mad that girls basketball or girls lacrosse exists. If you have a son, he can play lacrosse or basketball, and the existence of girls teams/leagues has zero impact on the benefits and experience to him.

Reactions: BelemNole
How does having a random girl in the troop remove the father figure from the kids in Boy Scouts?
I'll admit my response in reference to the thread title only...hadn't read the article yet (so that's my bad). Regardless, the conversation has seemingly pressed with positive discourse.

Reactions: TarponSpringsNole
Like, being mad about girls having Scout troops is like being mad that girls basketball or girls lacrosse exists. If you have a son, he can play lacrosse or basketball, and the existence of girls teams/leagues has zero impact on the benefits and experience to him.
2 things

1) Depends if the game being played gets new rules.
2) The way the kids socialize and do X may be modified by having another gender present.

Women are are being allowed into boys spaces, but what effect does this have on boys?

There are some interesting stats in this article about how women are receiving all the extra attention despite men falling behind in education, life expectancy, cancer rates, overdoses, etc.

I have been disappointed how boyscouts have gone woke. I thought there was a lot of benefit for boys to be boys without the pressure of girls around.
Weird and creepy post about boys.

Also weird that OP is playing the victim and claiming women are the reason for the downfall of men.

Not weird that this falls in line perfectly with retrumplicans assault on women's rights.

Very predictable, actually.

2 things

1) Depends if the game being played gets new rules.
2) The way the kids socialize and do X may be modified by having another gender present.

Did you read my previous post? The troops are still single gender. There are no girls present at your son's Boy Scout troop. If his behavior is modified by knowing that somewhere out there in the world, girls might be doing a merit badge too, that would be super weird.

Reactions: SB_SB
I think this is getting twisted a bit. I don't think the boy scouts went "woke", although I don't know anything about the DEI badge.

1) Participation in boy scouts was falling to unsustainable levels. For many reasons...being old fashioned, competition from screen time, sports/clubs requiring greater commitment, etc. It was a pragmatic, practical move.

2) Tons of Boy Scout parents have daughters that they would LOVE to be able to do Boy Scouts. Girl Scouts is not Boy Scouts for girls...it just isn't, its a fully different animal. This is something that tons of people involved with scouting would love to have had for their girls.

Boy scouts was life changing for my son. In retrospect, I wish my daughters would have been able to have the same.

Unless things have drastically changed, no troop is forced to be co-oed. They are all-boy or all-girl troops.

So your boy still goes to an all-boy troop, gets to be a boy and around boys and all the good things that entails. But now a bonus, your daughter can reap all the benefits of Scouts as well, in an all girls troop.

Great perspective, Lou. Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: Nole Lou

And I say this as someone that does believe that culturally there there should be some serious concern around boys' poor outcomes, masculine role models, etc. I do think that's a legitimate conversation we should be having.

This just aint it. And the boy scouts have been around for 100+ years, and participation crashing for decades, nobody was stopping you from joining or putting our boys in it. To just show up to the party now complaining about this "ruining" boy scouts is just cheap theater.

Oh, and I didn't answer your question.

Having a female leader or member in a Boy Scouts troop does not inherently remove the father figure from the kids in the program. I think Lou's response has been the most beneficial so far.

Women are are being allowed into boys spaces, but what effect does this have on boys?

There are some interesting stats in this article about how women are receiving all the extra attention despite men falling behind in education, life expectancy, cancer rates, overdoses, etc.

I have been disappointed how boyscouts have gone woke. I thought there was a lot of benefit for boys to be boys without the pressure of girls around.

Boy Scouts made the Catholic Church pale in comparison to the sexual abuse of young boys. They needed to change in a lot of ways.

Did you read my previous post? The troops are still single gender. There are no girls present at your son's Boy Scout troop. If his behavior is modified by knowing that somewhere out there in the world, girls might be doing a merit badge too, that would be super weird.
No i didnt. I was basically only making the point that organization geared towards one sex can be useful and we shouldn't necessarily see them as a problem.

More than a third of Boy Scout volunteers are women. Just being in boy scouts doesn't mean they will get a male mentor.

This is an important point. Having gone through this, moms are a huge part of boy scout troops. In our boy scout troop, most of the adults for camping were men, although there were a few women that occasionally camped. But even most of the dads didn't camp...I only went about three times a year, and half the dads didn't even do that. The camping is one weekend a month...the entire rest of the experience, the merit badges, the administration, the meetings, the moms and the non-camping dads play a huge role.

This will have no impact on the amount of male and female leadership boys are exposed to in their all-boy troop.

Reactions: gohawks50

This is very well said. Cogent points. I’m not a parent, so my perspective could be askance.

I am against boys and girls being in the same troop. I think girls can also benefit from boy scouts though.

Many of the boys in boyscout are not the popular kids or the athletes. Many are socially awkward by nature or because they are going through puberty. Adding girls in makes many of these boys very uncomfortable.

By nature, girls develop faster than boys, so frequently girls will rise to the leadership positions in scouts which takes away opportunities for boys.

I am against boys and girls being in the same troop. I think girls can also benefit from boy scouts though.

Many of the boys in boyscout are not the popular kids or the athletes. Many are socially awkward by nature or because they are going through puberty. Adding girls in makes many of these boys very uncomfortable.

By nature, girls develop faster than boys, so frequently girls will rise to the leadership positions in scouts which takes away opportunities for boys.

Absolutely. Co-ed troops would be the end of Boy Scouts as they know it, and I'd be first to say that. For reasons you mention, and others.

But that's not what's happening here.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT