ADVERTISEMENT

Last 2 losses as wins would have put hawks alone in 2nd place...

uihawk82

HR All-American
Nov 17, 2021
and if you reverse the close losses at MSU and PSU, and home vs wisky, this would have been a super special season as they would be 15-3 for the year. I am sure the jNW group is thinking the same way.

It just shows how small and close the line is between great and decent. Make a few stops, a few buckets, a few free throws, a couple of less turnovers and there you go.

If you are too young to have witnessed a regular season Iowa bball championship, last was 1979, then it is a really big accomplishment for the team and fans. I was just following the team in the late 50's, was really disappointed by the last game loss to Mich in 1968, and just wowed at the 1970 and '79 titles. That was great stuff.

One of these years I hope we or you get to experience it.

Since Wisconsin handled the Hawks at home, I'll give them that one. But the Michigan State and Penn State games were final possession scenarios, and the Wisconsin game at home should have been a 10 point win with Kris. Even those 3 would completely change the look of this season.

However, we're lucky to have won the close ones we did (Michigan, comeback vs Indiana, Michigan State). Lose the 3 and we're not even an NIT team. Totally agree with the razon thin line you ride from season to season. Every game counts.

and if you reverse the close losses at MSU and PSU, and home vs wisky, this would have been a super special season as they would be 15-3 for the year. I am sure the jNW group is thinking the same way.

It just shows how small and close the line is between great and decent. Make a few stops, a few buckets, a few free throws, a couple of less turnovers and there you go.

If you are too young to have witnessed a regular season Iowa bball championship, last was 1979, then it is a really big accomplishment for the team and fans. I was just following the team in the late 50's, was really disappointed by the last game loss to Mich in 1968, and just wowed at the 1970 and '79 titles. That was great stuff.

One of these years I hope we or you get to experience it.
And if there are no miracles with Michigan and MSU at home what is result? You cannot say one without the other. Things have a way of evening out during a season. And it seems they did

Apples and oranges, OP. This team made its bed with the "what if" games. Let's just focus on the future games. Cheers and GO HAWKS!

The main point is right on the money…..it just kills me when some fans say this xxxxxx team is terrible….the fact is that the margin between winning and losing games is much smaller than people think. Ohio State has a terrible record in the Big 10….but that talent with that coach could be most teams. Just shoot a decent percentage, don’t turn the ball over, rebound reasonably well, and play decent defense…for 40 minutes. If Minnesota does that they win some games. When Nebraska does that, they’ve now won 4 in a row?

If we scored more points than the other team in games we lost, then we would have had a better chance of winning those games.

(Totally get the OP's point, I'm just being an ass)

We lost some games we should have won, and certainly won some that we should have lost,.. We're right about where we deserve to be...

Just shows you that the difference between teams that get knocked out in the first round of the NCAA and the teams that make the sweet 16 is razor thin. So much luck involved in winning 2 games in a row against good teams.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT