ADVERTISEMENT

Last minute scramble - see Eric Graham

meatloaf55

HR Heisman
Jul 17, 2008
now that Higdon is gone we have only 20 commits (duh) and one would assume even an inept staff would try to fill that spot today. Its not like we are going to sign an earth shattering recruit but does anyone have an idea where the staff might go? who could Iowa even steal from right now? probably a school less than old dominion...
angry unoriginal negative comments welcome
This post was edited on 2/4 8:07 AM by meatloaf55

Re: Last minute scramble

I hate to say it, but more than likely a walk-on will be awarded the scholarship. If it's a walk-on currently on the team I don't have much of a problem, but if the staff offers a walk-on who already committed to be a walk-on in this year's class I have a big problem as adding this sort of scholarship depth is not what iowa needs. Regardless, it will be interesting to see what Iowa does.

Originally posted by meatloaf55:
now that Higdon is gone we have only 20 commits (duh) and one would assume even an inept staff would try to fill that spot today. Its not like we are going to sign an earth shattering recruit but does anyone have an idea where the staff might go? who could Iowa even steal from right now? probably a school less than old dominion...
Good question. Does Iowa take on anyone else RB or not today?

I guess shouldn't be too shocked that Higdon decommitted he already did it once but just a kick in the nuts when kids do it on signing day after they commit to a school for months. I get that it happens but never understand why they wait till signing day to do it then schools are left scrambling. Guess it shows he has the best back up plans

Originally posted by InsaneHawk:
I hate to say it, but more than likely a walk-on will be awarded the scholarship. If it's a walk-on currently on the team I don't have much of a problem, but if the staff offers a walk-on who already committed to be a walk-on in this year's class I have a big problem as adding this sort of scholarship depth is not what iowa needs. Regardless, it will be interesting to see what Iowa does.
Why wouldn't Iowa just bank the scholly in case of a late transfer or put it towards next year class? Why waste it on a walk-on who is already there.

sorry but we have not Dallas Clarks or Chad Greenways on our roster right now. Bank it and put it to use next year.

Originally posted by DavenportHawk8:

Why wouldn't Iowa just bank the scholly in case of a late transfer or put it towards next year class? Why waste it on a walk-on who is already there.

sorry but we have not Dallas Clarks or Chad Greenways on our roster right now. Bank it and put it to use next year.
Well, if Iowa gives it to a walk-on currently on the team it would be essentially like banking the scholarship for next year. I believe that it would give the walk-on player the privileges that scholarship players receive for a year which they can then give to a recruit next year.

I hate to say it, but more than likely a walk-on will be awarded the scholarship.  If it's a walk-on currently on the team I don't have much of a problem, but if the staff offers a walk-on who already committed to be a walk-on in this year's class I have a big problem as adding this sort of scholarship depth is not what iowa needs.  Regardless, it will be interesting to see what Iowa does.     
Why wouldn't Iowa just bank the scholly in case of a late transfer or put it towards next year class? Why waste it on a walk-on who is already there. 

You would rather let a scholarship sit unused than give it to a senior that has been paying his way for 3-4 years?
Posted from Rivals Mobile

If we dont sign a running back this year thats bad news. I doubt this staff even has one on stand by. Smith not being eligible and now Higdon flipping makes for some sad times for Iowa football.

Originally posted by PHXIowaClub:
Go get Miami OH commit Leonard Rose baby! #34 recruit out of Illinois.
I think someone like this could be a possibility. looks like he has been committed to Miami OH since august

Flight tracker showed Ferentz headed out late last night looking for another punter to add to scholarship.

Got to give him credit for trying to fill a huge area of need.

Petrino just yanked a scholly from South Carolina player of the year that was a running back. Go get him.

Originally posted by SWIowahawks:

I hate to say it, but more than likely a walk-on will be awarded the scholarship. Â If it's a walk-on currently on the team I don't have much of a problem, but if the staff offers a walk-on who already committed to be a walk-on in this year's class I have a big problem as adding this sort of scholarship depth is not what iowa needs. Â Regardless, it will be interesting to see what Iowa does. Â Â Â
Why wouldn't Iowa just bank the scholly in case of a late transfer or put it towards next year class? Why waste it on a walk-on who is already there.Â

sorry but we have not Dallas Clarks or Chad Greenways on our roster right now. Bank it and put it to use next year.Â
You would rather let a scholarship sit unused than give it to a senior that has been paying his way for 3-4 years?
I would like to have it in case of a player decides to transfer. if we give to a walk-on can we take it away if a player transfers into Iowa?

Originally posted by grugreen:

Petrino just yanked a scholly from South Carolina player of the year that was a running back. Go get him.
Matt Colburn is his name, I agree. His tape is pretty impressive. He's a small quick back at 5'8 and runs a 4.36

This staff is not going to go out and land a rb with any talent, period. The entire staff needs to be shown the door. This is just another example of their inability to recruit. Brand new facilities make no difference at all. The problem is the boring, stale, lifeless brand that is Iowa football under KF. Until this changes, expect new lows.

Originally posted by GT Hawkaholic:

Flight tracker showed Ferentz headed out late last night looking for another punter to add to scholarship.

laugh.r191677.gif

Originally posted by hawkeyefanatic84:

Originally posted by grugreen:

Matt Colburn is his name, I agree. His tape is pretty impressive. He's a small quick back at 5'8 and runs a 4.36
absolutely... just read an article that he is angry that Louisville pullled his scholly 2 days before signing day when he had been committed there for 8 months. Said he was looking to go elsewhere.

signing day is not a 1 n done day only, this goes for on for a while. also Smith just went to a D11 school for the semester to get his grades in order , he can still transfer with no loss of years on the clock of 4 years of playing time.

said this last night he decommited from a Conference USA team be cause IA was a better offer, now Michigan comes in at the last 2nd and opted for the better offer AGAIN. IA will be just fine, lets not throw these under the bus.

RSSR Canzeri
JR Daniels
RSSO Wadley
RSSO Parker
RSFR Hilliard who nobody has seen play a down

I am/was curious as to what he would have done if he did not get to start, would he have stayed or would he have pulled a Garmon and said that he just didn't fit the system. now we will never know and he has yet to play a down of college ball to anoint this kid the 2nd coming of Barry Sanders.

Originally posted by GT Hawkaholic:

Saw that too. I didnt realize Guttenberg had an airport

So about 50% of this class is from Iowa??? LOL folks....terrible

Originally posted by Hawks...#1:
So about 50% of this class is from Iowa??? LOL folks....terrible
They're all the next Chad Greenway and Bob Sanders. Don't you realize that KF is the master at developing players? Wait till Doyle gets a hold of them. Look out!

Originally posted by SWIowahawks:

I hate to say it, but more than likely a walk-on will be awarded the scholarship. Â If it's a walk-on currently on the team I don't have much of a problem, but if the staff offers a walk-on who already committed to be a walk-on in this year's class I have a big problem as adding this sort of scholarship depth is not what iowa needs. Â Regardless, it will be interesting to see what Iowa does. Â Â Â
Why wouldn't Iowa just bank the scholly in case of a late transfer or put it towards next year class? Why waste it on a walk-on who is already there.Â

sorry but we have not Dallas Clarks or Chad Greenways on our roster right now. Bank it and put it to use next year.Â
Unfortunately this is exactly how many people think and feel these days. Truly sad.

Im hearing Iowa got a commit from alabama running back Eric Graham. Dont know anything about him

eric graham film

This post was edited on 2/4 9:46 AM by meatloaf55
Thats an impressive film. Wow. Who is this kid?

eric graham film

The next internet legend has been born. Damn.

I see he was a 2-star by another site but nothing by any of the others. Judging by the film, it looks like he's from a small school, so maybe that's why no attention? Have no idea. At least we didn't come up totally dry.

Originally posted by EpenesaEpenesa:
eric graham film

Very impressive film, but then again a lot of these guys look all world in their highlight films. Anyone know his story, why he was available this late?

Originally posted by OILCHECKER:
Originally posted by EpenesaEpenesa:
eric graham film

Very impressive film, but then again a lot of these guys look all world in their highlight films. Anyone know his story, why he was available this late?
I would guess he is from a small school. Cant imagine how many great prospects go unnoticed in a smaller class

at the beginning of the video he is listed at 6'1 210 lbs, but from I could find he is listed at 5'8 195, maybe this is why he was overlooked, if coaches just skim and saw him at 5'8 195 they may have just passed him by.

getting this kid out of Alabama is not a fall back IA kid

He's available because he isn't very talented, but the delusionites on here will say he is the next Shonn Greene, and he just went unnoticed by everyone except our fantastic coach that has an eye for spotting unrecruited talent. He also runs a 4.7 40. Not much of a demand for backs that are that slow.
This post was edited on 2/4 10:28 AM by Sandow

Originally posted by Sandow:

He's available because he isn't very talented, but the delusionites on here will say he is the next Shonn Greene, and he just went unnoticed by everyone except our fantastic coach that has an eye for spotting unrecruited talent. He also runs a 4.7 40. Not much of a demand for backs that are that slow.
He's available because he just received a qualifying ACT score.

Originally posted by 2bagger22:

He's available because he just received a qualifying ACT score.
And... other schools didn't feel the need to offer after getting said ACT score.

Good to know. From his video, he is as talented as most/all of the backs currently on the roster. Good to see the staff had a viable back-up plan even while Higdon was saying all weekend he was 110% for Iowa. Note: this doesn't make me a apologist, just not with the narrative that this staff is lazy/doesn't try. I don't think Iowa's lack of recruiting punch is due to lack of effort. Other issues, but don't think effort is one of them.

This post was edited on 2/4 8:07 AM by meatloaf55
Inept staff? I think their are lots of inept posters on this board. I think the staff did a great job of finding Eric Graham. I think he could be real good for us , possibly better than Higdon. I think this will turn out to be a good class. Our coaches have a proven record of being good evaluators of talent. Go Hawks!

He slow, though his 100 time in track says otherwise. Teams backed off from his due his academics, but Iowa stuck with him.

Fwiw

His film does not look bad? Speed is pretty good and good size. Had a lot of attention junior year and then grade problems slowed down his recruitment....could be a good back for us.

According to Rob Howe, hes not qualified yet and must retake his ACT test again.

Originally posted by frydaze:
According to Rob Howe, hes not qualified yet and must retake his ACT test again.

I don't think that is accurate. He is currently qualified. It sounds like the reason he is retaking is in case his grades fall this semester. Hopefully he improves his score and it won't matter if his grades take a dip.

Assuming he gets in, and obviously that is not a given, Iowa likely got a steal.

To those that are bringing up the 40 time. I believe that time is from his Sophomore year of high school. He is likely faster by now. The videos and track times seem to confirm that.

My question -

Seems like a ton of confusion about grades/ACT scores with this kid. Haven't many of you people been trying to convince yourselves, and many others such as our Tennessee guests, that one of the reasons Iowa can't compete with SEC schools is because of our harsh academic standards in the B10.

Now many of you are citing academic concerns as the main reason schools stayed away from this kid?

laugh.r191677.gif

Carry on.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT