ADVERTISEMENT

Latest WIN Rankings...

Nashville_Hawkeye

HR All-American
Dec 31, 2015
Nashville
Here's the latest WIN rankings (link below). PK up to 6th, Nelson up to 9th and Warner and Assad both sitting at 13th. We're tied for 2nd with Nebby...

No love for Max! Some of these rankings make no sense given the results from 2 days ago... but I'm sure that will be nothing compared to what we'll see Wednesday.

Reactions: Inthecircle
No love for Max! Some of these rankings make no sense given the results from 2 days ago... but I'm sure that will be nothing compared to what we'll see Wednesday.
Not really understanding 149 rankings either. Who did #9 Abas beat to be ranked ahead of Max? Per wrestlestat, his best win this year was #19 Zapf followed by two wins over #20 Demas. Lost to #4 Parco twice by scores of 1-2, 2-10. Also lost to #7 Henson 1-11. A blind comparison of their resumes would clearly put Murin head of Abas, as he wrestled a much tougher schedule paired with fewer losses. Guessing Abas got some bonus points for his family name.

Not really understanding 149 rankings either. Who did #9 Abas beat to be ranked ahead of Max? Per wrestlestat, his best win this year was #19 Zapf followed by two wins over #20 Demas. Lost to #4 Parco twice by scores of 1-2, 2-10. Also lost to #7 Henson 1-11. A blind comparison of their resumes would clearly put Murin head of Abas, as he wrestled a much tougher schedule paired with fewer losses. Guessing Abas got some bonus points for his family name.
Abas beat Murin in the blood rd 2 years ago. I know you shouldn't use past years results as current rankings but maybe this publisher does.

Unfortunately the NCAA doesn’t factor in who beat who based on rankings. 25% is based off of head to head. 50% of the criteria for quality wins is only based off of your opponents record, as a percentage, then points are calculated based off of tiers. However, if you beat someone more than once, it only counts once. Then 25% is your opponent opponents win loss percentage (try and figure this out)
In the big ten you have the highest amount of AA by far, yet they beat each other throughout the year and their record as a percentage goes down and they get screwed.
Then you throw in coaches ranking, which doesn’t look anything like rankings from WIN, Intermat or MatScouts. Coaches rank is my biggest concern for Kennedy not being seeded correctly.
If a guy gets upset in their respective conference tournament that goes against you.

Anyone who does that is an idiot and shouldn't be ranking.
I see both sides. I think some people, myself included, confuse predictions with actual data for rankings. I find myself thinking Warner should be a top 10 ranked/seed bc I think he is going to be a AA bc of history. In all reality he should be closer to 15 than 10 bc this year his body of work is not all that great. I still believe he ends up on the podium and as a chance at making the finals again.

I see both sides. I think some people, myself included, confuse predictions with actual data for rankings. I find myself thinking Warner should be a top 10 ranked/seed bc I think he is going to be a AA bc of history. In all reality he should be closer to 15 than 10 bc this year his body of work is not all that great. I still believe he ends up on the podium and as a chance at making the finals again.
Kind if different IMO. We're talking about a clear body of work with Warner as a 3x AA.

Abas v Murin was a single match 2 years ago, the covid year, which was a disaster of a season for competitors. That match should not have any impact on rankings today.

Kind if different IMO. We're talking about a clear body of work with Warner as a 3x AA.

Abas v Murin was a single match 2 years ago, the covid year, which was a disaster of a season for competitors. That match should not have any impact on rankings today.
I disagree. I'm as big as a Hawk fan and Murin fan as they come. It most certainly could and should have an impact when comparing these 2 wrestlers. 1 wrestler won head to head and that same wrestler is also a previous All American whereas the other has never reached the podium. If you were asked who was the better wrestler right now Abas or Murin, what would be your answer? If both careers were over right now, who had the better career?

I disagree. I'm as big as a Hawk fan and Murin fan as they come. It most certainly could and should have an impact when comparing these 2 wrestlers. 1 wrestler won head to head and that same wrestler is also a previous All American whereas the other has never reached the podium. If you were asked who was the better wrestler right now Abas or Murin, what would be your answer? If both careers were over right now, who had the better career?
A result from two years ago should have absolutely no bearing on seeding for this upcoming tournament. Two many things can change for it to be a factor, whether subjective or objective.

And that had no bearing on where they should be ranked currently based on this year's results and conference tournaments.

Murin has wrestled a tougher schedule and has only lost to Sasso, Gomez, Johnson and Yahya.

Reactions: T8KUDWN
A result from two years ago should have absolutely no bearing on seeding for this upcoming tournament. Two many things can change for it to be a factor, whether subjective or objective.
We are not talking about seeding. We are talking about a 3rd/4th tier wrestling media. I was just saying past results may hold weight in some publishers rankings. For example Win wrestling. To be fair every ranking media uses last years results as a starting point and even rank a guy 2 years out bc of past history. Example Spencer Lee starts season #1 this year

And that had no bearing on where they should be ranked currently based on this year's results and conference tournaments.

Murin has wrestled a tougher schedule and has only lost to Sasso, Gomez, Johnson and Yahya.
We are talking about Win Rankings not seeding. I hope Murin wins the national title but would not be surprised if he loses in the blood rd to a guy like Abas.

Reactions: SDHN2013
It doesn’t have any bearing on this years seeding. At least that’s what the NCAA criteria states?

We are not talking about seeding. We are talking about a 3rd/4th tier wrestling media. I was just saying past results may hold weight in some publishers rankings. For example Win wrestling. To be fair every ranking media uses last years results as a starting point and even rank a guy 2 years out bc of past history. Example Spencer Lee starts season #1 this year
Fair enough - but you most certainly did say it should be used when comparing the two. I would argue the strength of competition from this year has far more relevance.

The only explanation for Anna’s jumping ahead is conference placement. Maybe it’s because he’s only lost to Parco since Jan. 2nd and he cut the gap considerably in the Pac 10 final.
I don’t agree with the jump over Mac

Abas beat Murin in the blood rd 2 years ago. I know you shouldn't use past years results as current rankings but maybe this publisher does.
Yeah and unfortunately Iowa wrestlers don't improve to catch and pass guys that had previously beat them as often as other programs ahead of us, so I suppose that's the rationale they're going for.....................

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT