ADVERTISEMENT

Preseason Rankings

The-Dude-Abides

HR All-State
Jan 1, 2023
Some early rankings from a few different sources. Interesting to see some of the assumptions they make about the lineup, but doubt any of them really know. Intermat has not updated theirs for the upcoming season yet.

Wrestlestat (https://www.wrestlestat.com/d1/rankings/starters)
125: Ayala 11th
133: Teske 10th
141: Woods 2nd
149: Voinovich 12th
157: Franek 6th
165: PK 6th
174: Brands 6th
184: Assad 12th
197: Glazier 25th
285: Cassioppi 3rd

The College Wrestling Report on Twitter
125: Ayala 14th
133: Teske 12th
149: Voinovich 11th
157: Franek 3rd
165: Caliendo 5th
174: Brands 5th
184: Assad 10th
197: Glazier 30th

FLO
125: Ayala 11th
133: Teske 13th
149: Voinovich 11th
157: Franek 2nd
165: Caliendo 5th
174: Brands 5th
184: Assad 12th
197: None in top 24

Last edited:
Ayala - 8 (think he had higher potential but gotta prove it)
Teske - 12
Woods - 2
Voin - 12
Franek - 3
PK/Caliendo - 6
Brands - 5
Abe - 12
197 - NR
Cass - 3

Hopefully the gambling investigation is gentle on us.
Are these your rankings or from somewhere else? Either way, seems about right if that is our lineup. I like Franek's potential at 157.

I guess I'll throw out my way-too-early-still-don't-know-the-lineup predictions too:
Ayala 5th
Teske R12
Woods Champ
Voinovich 8th
Franek 2nd
PK/Caliendo 5th either way
Brands 5th
Assad 8th
Glazier/Franklin DNP, Ferrari 2nd (I give Brooks the nod with so much time away for AJ, but it would be a hell of a match if AJ is somehow ended up in our lineup)
Cass 3rd

That would likely lock up team 2nd with some decent bonus points.

Love it finally something to talk about other than negative crap.
Ayala will AA
Teske rd of 12
Woods will win it
Franek wins it
PK will AA
Brands top 4 worst 4th
Assad rd of 12
Ferrari wins it
Cass 2nd or 3rd
Thoughts on 49?

Intermat rankings:

Ayala 13
Teske 14
Woods 2(Alirez 1)
Voinovich 10
Franek 2
Caliendo 5
Franklin 24

Team 8(dual&tournament)

No Way Abandon Thread GIF

Ayala will AA
Teske rd of 12
Woods will win it
Franek wins it
PK will AA
Brands top 4 worst 4th
Assad rd of 12
Ferrari wins it
Cass 2nd or 3rd
Nice to see homie back taking big swings from the gut. We do well there.

Ayala will AA
Teske rd of 12
Woods will win it
Franek wins it
PK will AA
Brands top 4 worst 4th
Assad rd of 12
Ferrari wins it
Cass 2nd or 3rd
When was the last time we had three champs in a season?

Reactions: MVPFAN
Intermat rankings:

Ayala 13
Teske 14
Woods 2(Alirez 1)
Voinovich 10
Franek 2
Caliendo 5
Franklin 24

Team 8(dual&tournament)

I really hope Cass gets his suspension reduced or Kueter goes. 197 is going to be rough along with 184 if guys haven't made big jumps in the off-season. I think 174 will be fine even without Brands. If nothing changes from 184 on will be a tough way to end duals.

Last edited:
McDonough, Metcalf, and Borschel in 2010?
Yep. Before that I believe the last three-champ season was Ironside, McGinness, and Joe Williams in 1998. And before that the GOAT season in 1997 with 170 points and five champs (McIlravy, Ironside, Joe Williams, Lee Fullhart, and the strongest man in the world Jesse Whitmer).

Since 2010, no more than one champ per year. McD 2012, DSJ 2013, Ramos 2014, Clark 2017, Spencer 2018/19/21. Definitely a big dropoff in upper weight titles for a long time.

And yet Coach Brands has made no changes or adjustments to change the situation.
Come on man! Give it a break already!!! If you want to say that IOWA fell behind the great Failure, just like everyone else, fine.

That being said, no other team is even close to us as far as results once you get past F*** st. It has been talked about to no end and I believe proven very clearly that Failure was able to pay wrestlers using Fat$$$mans slush fund,

We all get it but to think that Brands or any other coach would not like to just go out and get3,4,5 top kids and several transfers every year is just kinda stupid no???

Clearly they have upped their game as far as bringing in top talent and especially transfers, with transfers results being probably better then anyone else!

The upper weights have surely bin far behind but we have seemingly brought in some studs so lets all hope that plays out as we might expect.

Getting smarter with training and competitions would be my main thing to point fingers at. They need to find out why their wrestlers are getting injured so often and make adjustments!

Without being snake bit with injuries and the stupid NCAAs unreal decision to shut down the championship the covid year, things would look much brighter. Another team title, Spencer would be a 4Xer, and I believe two more champs in Bull and Lugo.

Come on man! Give it a break already!!! If you want to say that IOWA fell behind the great Failure, just like everyone else, fine.

That being said, no other team is even close to us as far as results once you get past F*** st. It has been talked about to no end and I believe proven very clearly that Failure was able to pay wrestlers using Fat$$$mans slush fund,

We all get it but to think that Brands or any other coach would not like to just go out and get3,4,5 top kids and several transfers every year is just kinda stupid no???

Clearly they have upped their game as far as bringing in top talent and especially transfers, with transfers results being probably better then anyone else!

The upper weights have surely bin far behind but we have seemingly brought in some studs so lets all hope that plays out as we might expect.

Getting smarter with training and competitions would be my main thing to point fingers at. They need to find out why their wrestlers are getting injured so often and make adjustments!

Without being snake bit with injuries and the stupid NCAAs unreal decision to shut down the championship the covid year, things would look much brighter. Another team title, Spencer would be a 4Xer, and I believe two more champs in Bull and Lugo.
The only upper weight still not addressed is 197. With kolby being # 49 out of high school, can’t believe they were expecting him to be multiple AA or champion. The fact the kid from ND state didn’t follow his teammates, and ended up trying to be a heavyweight at Nebraska, tells me they still are optimistic about AJ being able to join team 2nd semester.

The only upper weight still not addressed is 197. With kolby being # 49 out of high school, can’t believe they were expecting him to be multiple AA or champion. The fact the kid from ND state didn’t follow his teammates, and ended up trying to be a heavyweight at Nebraska, tells me they still are optimistic about AJ being able to join team 2nd semester.

Franklin wasn't 149 out of HS. He was a legit 195.

If AJ was their plan then that's one of the top 10 most idiotic ideas I've ever heard. I highly doubt it. Far more likely they chose to stand pat with Hill (and hope Cass can wrestle) than bringing in a 197 pounder who went 1-2 at the NCAAs to wrestle HWT.

Reactions: dmlawdad

Second place is not Iowa's goal. I am in the camp of bringing in someone like Dake.

McDonough, Metcalf, and Borschel in 2010?
What a team that was…. Fourteen seasons back. And everyone knew how they were

bragging about transfers is like bragging about drawing to an inside straight.

Reactions: SJP80 and Hawkgma

If AJ was their plan then that's one of the top 10 most idiotic ideas I've ever heard. I highly doubt it. Far more likely they chose to stand pat with Hill (and hope Cass can wrestle) than bringing in a 197 pounder who went 1-2 at the NCAAs to wrestle HWT.
Pretty sure he was saying ranked 49 not weight

Number 49 in rankings, I’m sure he has been 149 since grade school😂😂

• Haha
Reactions: el dub

I meant he could have wrestled 197 for us. I know he wasn’t going to make a huge difference in team standing, so maybe they just decided he wasn’t going to be a big enough upgrade to bench Franklin for another year. We will know at the end of the month if AJ is even a possibility.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT